997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Manual vs. Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:12 AM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bavariamotorist
The manual is so easy and buttery to use, I can't see how it could cause problems...even in NYC traffic that I deal with every day.

Also, about the tip being 'faster' accelerating, I think that's BS. How is that different than dropping the clutch at revs?

Doesn't make sense to me. Sounds more like a marketing gimmick.

Automatics are also crippling due to WEIGHT and the torque converter which eats power...not good for the ultimate production Porsche.
Dropping clutch at revs does not load up the turbos with boast, it simply brings the turbos to boost range when once you dump the clutch. In the Tip the turbos BOOST UP before you release the brake and thats why IT IS faster!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:15 AM
eaglejackson is infamous around these parts
6 speed all the way for me. I didn't even consider the tip. I have the oem ssk and shifting is fun and engaging. I'm not going to do any starts where you either dump the clutch at high revs or high rev an automatic with the brake engaged.

PDK -- yeah, if it were available I'd strongly consider. But I don't really see the point of a tip in a Porsche sports car. A Cayenne? OK. A 911 or Boxster, no thank you.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 AM
bavariamotorist is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
Dropping clutch at revs does not load up the turbos with boast, it simply brings the turbos to boost range when once you dump the clutch. In the Tip the turbos BOOST UP before you release the brake and thats why IT IS faster!

Do you think the system in the GT2 will trickle down into the Turbo?

Old 11-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Mike2727 is infamous around these parts
I am sure that when DSG/PDK comes out it will have a launch control feature

Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 AM
white)2abbit is infamous around these parts
Is that true?
Lol I was only joking...of course if you are bored of driving manual, don't have the need for it, or have a GT3 in your garage then a tiptronic will suffice...I don't think I could buy a tiptronic Porsche, but to each his own. I'd get an SMG M5 as a DD if I was concerned about having to shift manually.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Hernando is infamous around these parts
As he says the TIP is faster because of that reason. The only thing is that the boost never comes at the exact same time so if you were at a track doing the quarter mile thing, it's almost impossible to time it with the lights.

If you ask me about my preference, I would go with a stick no matter what. I feel more involved with the driving experience, like I am in complete control of the car, plus I really really enjoy playing with the clutch, and practicing my heel and toe every time. Driving the M3 and the Turbo I can tell you that the 997TT is amazing, the clutch is actually softer than the one in the M3. Besides, like many people on this thread have already stated, a Porsche is made to be driven stick. This of course is coming from a guy that would get everything in stick from a 430 to an LP640, to a camry. I love shifting the gears, and I don't mind it in traffic. It's second nature already.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Isn't Tip just A/T? I have no idea about Porsches.

Anyways, one thing I know is that ppl here in HK have lots of $$$ but aren't true drivers. They can afford lots of high-end sportscars but 99.9% of them are freaking A/Ts. What's the pt?

Old 11-14-2007, 12:34 PM
996TTX50JRZ is infamous around these parts
The Tip on the 2007 TT is better than old Tiptronic transmissions - the shifting seems better, even in full auto mode. This is the first time I have owned an automatic 911 turbo, and recently drove the car on the track at a DE on a technical course. I passed all of the 07 GT3s, but the car is heavy and you don't get the feeling of control as you do with a 6 speed. The F1 Lambo paddle shift transmission is worse than their 6 speed IMHO, but I have not driven either a Ferrari F1 or a DSG. The IMSA GT2 Evo turbo was a great car to drive at the 24 hours of daytona (more than a decade ago!), but it was a sequential shifter as I recall.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:41 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tranquility
Isn't Tip just A/T? I have no idea about Porsches.

Anyways, one thing I know is that ppl here in HK have lots of $$$ but aren't true drivers. They can afford lots of high-end sportscars but 99.9% of them are freaking A/Ts. What's the pt?
You try driving a GT3 in HK with traffic stuck on a 45% grade.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:44 PM
I guess Tip/manual is catered to different individual. In my case, I drive my Turbo like a GT (more Continental GT then 599 GT) I am just tired of driving manual in the mean time, and would like to stick with autos for the couple of years to come. I am sure that I'm not alone.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Turbo4ever is a jewel in the roughTurbo4ever is a jewel in the roughTurbo4ever is a jewel in the rough
simple as that:

IMO tip in a turbo is gay.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:07 PM
4rotor is infamous around these parts
I absolutely love the idea of a high powered auto car, especially a turbo auto. I have a TIP myself - I went for it as I like Drag Racing. I find that I can always get it on boost when I have to. There is less to think about (a good or bad thing - I don't know?) I drive in the city a lot so the TIP is perfect.

If I was to purchase a 997 TT for a weekend car only, using on track days I would go for a manual. The TIP is a lovely trade-off, the power is always there I feel - yes it is a little laggy but you can drive it hard using the brake to get boost (i.e. left foot braking).

I had a nice little race the other night with a EVO8 (worked) manual, and I was all over him as I knew how to get mine on boost etc. and release all the power when needed.

Actually driving a high powered auto on a track day is also great as you can really concentrate on braking and power without having to change gears (or think about changing gears). Lazy = yes, but effective = definitely yes.

If you were a driver that did a lot of track days, and had always driven manual then you probably wouldn't like to go auto. But if you had been driving auto for a while and gotten use to it, then I honestly think it would be equally fast around a track - if not faster.

Each to their own, maybe I'll try manual for my next car - but I'm very happy with the TIP, actually I love it.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:55 PM
bavariamotorist is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hernando
a Porsche is made to be driven stick. This of course is coming from a guy that would get everything in stick from a 430 to an LP640, to a camry. I love shifting the gears, and I don't mind it in traffic. It's second nature already.

Ah...you sound exactly like me. I would take anything with a stick. I am buying a Suzuki SX4 for its AWD benefits and I am getting that in a stick.

Rowing through gears is something I could never get tired of, and I live in NYC area and deal with NYC traffic every day.

I would take a Rolls-Royce in a stick if they offered it.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:05 AM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
You try driving a GT3 in HK with traffic stuck on a 45% grade.
That's the challenge. It's great!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:40 PM
997 Turbo Tip is infamous around these parts
The purists will always go for the manual. However after owning a tip now for 5 months, I love the fact that you have the option of both manual and auto depending on the driving conditions. In the end it is a matter of personal taste

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manual vs. Tiptronic