997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My 1st Oil Change!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Porsche997TT - there you have it. If my SA is wrong - lets hog tie him and beat him with a nerf bat. Before he told me that I heard that it was ran before installation from other people. Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to give misinformation.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Porsche997TT - there you have it. If my SA is wrong - lets hog tie him and beat him with a nerf bat. Before he told me that I heard that it was ran before installation from other people. Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to give misinformation.
Well I heard something close to what you said. But someone told me that they run em' on a DYNO for about 5km to see if everything is operating correctly...Not sure if it is 100% correct though.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:41 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by Porsche997TT
I have 1,450 miles on my '07 Turbo and was wondering when to change out the break-in oil? I've heard from 1,200 miles- 3,000 miles. But I came h eto get it answered by Porsche vets.

Im looking forward to change the oil myself. Easier than taking it to the dealer waiting, etc... I like to get my hands dirty once in awhile.
I had my oil changed at 10K miles. I found the new '08s are required at 10-12K so I thought a good idea. I orginally was going to change the oil myself. You need to drain the oil in two places, the side tank and main engine. Also you need a special oil filter wrench. I got one for $44 at Performance products. my turbo developed some suspension squeaks, so I thought if the Porsche place was going to look at that, let them change the oil. I brought 10 qts and a filter. The charge was $120 labor plus $35 for checking oil levels which they don't do, that is just a charge the shop charges. However, a word of warning, when the mechanic loosen the side tank plug....oil blew out all over him, the floor and the entire under carriage of my tt. This mechanic had never heard of such a thing, but Hennessey in Atlanta says it happens ever once in awhile. my turbo had been sitting almost 2-hours before the mechanic showed up, so I don't think this was so much heat as it was just pressure. In the morning when the engine is cold, don't know if that would happen. Anyway it took a lot of solvent to clean all the oil from the undercarriage. And too, this mechanic adds 10 quarts.....book says 8.5...and oil indicator is at top of scale. Bad experience all around.

And too back to the suspension squeaks, this same mechanic shot oil to all the suspension parts. He said that would take care of the squeaks. Yeah right. Now the turbo really squeaks and I found from Atlanta, that those A-frame joints are dry and not to be oiled. If oiled, they will suck in dirt/moisture and squeal more. So now I have to get some of the suspension replaced. Atlanta dealer (400 miles away) says glad to fix it for me. Says some of these smaller dealers just don't do some things right because things like these suspension squeaks just don't happen very often whereas with a larger dealer, lots of such things happen and they know how to fix them. I guess its the same thing with surgery. Smaller hospitals just can't do the surgery as well as larger volume hospitals who get more experience and do most things better.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:04 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
I guess its the same thing with surgery. Smaller hospitals just can't do the surgery as well as larger volume hospitals who get more experience and do most things better.
* * * Soap box and side note warning * * *

Bull****. I work at a "small hospital" and I know my group can perform laparoscopic surgery far better than any our local medical college attendings.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by bbywu

Bull****. I work at a "small hospital" and I know my group can perform laparoscopic surgery far better than any our local medical college attendings.

Yeah right. Hey, I was only trying to warn a hands-on turbo guy, some problems to be alerted to in changing the engine oil.

Looks like your small hospital does a bunch of laparoscopic surgery. That's the point I was trying to make. With the attitude you show, if there are many more like you there, I would stay clear of that small hospital. Read the literature. I guess I should have been more specific on the type-surgery, but I'm sure it stands for most surgeries. The more you do, the better you become...that's a no brainer. Every surgeon has an experience curve he has to develop.

Well know fact for Whipple surgery and removal of pancreas done at major cancer centers, life longevity results considerable better than smaller hospitals that do only a few. Some smaller hospitals could have top rate surgeons, but that option did not seem to make any difference in this overall extended study on the number that survive these complex surgeries. Perhaps for more simpler laparoscopic surgery that may not be true, but that data too can be found by using keywords on Google. Try that. Read the words carefully before passing such abrupt judgement.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:44 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Read the words carefully before passing such abrupt judgement.
Excuse me? Who's passing judgement? Re-read your original post. And BTW, the 2003 NEJM paper by Birkmeyer you are trying to quote is stratified by surgeon volume...for someone who doesn't even know me, my practice, or what I do, I consider your last post an insult.

With the attitude you show, if there are many more like you there, I would stay clear of that small hospital.

Last edited by bbywu; 11-19-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:07 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Just because you’re running the original oil that the engine was run in with doesn’t mean there are shavings floating around in the oil. Most of the friction during break in period is not even in cylinders, but rather the main bearing/rod journals and between the cams, buckets and caps. With how precise these engines are manufactured even those areas are in little need of break in. The filters take out particles down to some really insignificantly small micron size. The main point of the oil change is to restore its ability to deal with heat, and to get rid of the small impurities absorbed from the running environment i.e. dirt and moisture. Wait until the 10-12k mark there really isn’t any point. Like it was said by another poster, have you ever heard a few miles off an oil change causing catastrophic damage? You could probably run quakerstate 10-30 for 100K without a problem as long as you maintained proper levels and changed the filter.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
Just because you’re running the original oil that the engine was run in with doesn’t mean there are shavings floating around in the oil. Most of the friction during break in period is not even in cylinders, but rather the main bearing/rod journals and between the cams, buckets and caps. With how precise these engines are manufactured even those areas are in little need of break in. The filters take out particles down to some really insignificantly small micron size. The main point of the oil change is to restore its ability to deal with heat, and to get rid of the small impurities absorbed from the running environment i.e. dirt and moisture. Wait until the 10-12k mark there really isn’t any point. Like it was said by another poster, have you ever heard a few miles off an oil change causing catastrophic damage? You could probably run quakerstate 10-30 for 100K without a problem as long as you maintained proper levels and changed the filter.
Thanks for the info very helpful....I would just use MOBIL 1 or AMSOIL(I have more experince with em')

Old 11-20-2007, 07:45 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
This thread should remain on topic about the interval of oil changes and not the details of a larger or smaller medical facility being more or less capable. No offense to anyone just seems that it is getting a little personal.

Okay off soap box..

19000rpm - exactly.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:30 PM
robbie is infamous around these parts
Just Curious.

Do you guys hang around and watch the oil change or do you sit in the waiting room.

I hate to say it but it would suck if they made out that the oil change was done but nothing was performed.

I always watch.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by robbie
Just Curious.

Do you guys hang around and watch the oil change or do you sit in the waiting room.

I hate to say it but it would suck if they made out that the oil change was done but nothing was performed.

I always watch.

I always watch if I can...Who wants to sit in the waiting room for 1 hr watching the news and weather forcast.lol.....I try to go around back to the shop and start a conversation with the mechanic sometimes. But I usually change the oil myself on my '03 Ford Lightning anyways.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:18 PM
robbie is infamous around these parts
I always watch if I can...Who wants to sit in the waiting room for 1 hr watching the news and weather forcast.lol.....I try to go around back to the shop and start a conversation with the mechanic sometimes. But I usually change the oil myself on my '03 Ford Lightning anyways.
I hear you. I do the same thing.

Plus, I always pick some sodas for the mechanics. Trust me, they will see to it that ride gets some TLC.

Show respect and you will get back 10 fold.

They will also know you when you come back.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:23 PM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
You guys are funny...**** & funny.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by lager99
You guys are funny...**** & funny.
Bro are you for real man...Just relax and let us do are thing man. You might get a stroke or something for worrying too much on whats going on in my thread.

Go take 5

Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 PM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
Bro are you for real man...Just relax and let us do are thing man. You might get a stroke or something for worrying too much on whats going on in my thread.

Go take 5
Who says I'm not relaxed? An oil change isn't a tailgate party.

At least you agreed with me after everyone else told you the same.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 1st Oil Change!