997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

M5 or S8.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:03 PM
JWC
JWC is infamous around these parts
Why not consider the S6. I pushed my wife into a 08 S6 and we both love it. It's not as fast as the M5 for sure but it's quick enough for a daily driver. You can save a few bucks in the process and IMHO it's a better car than the M5.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
The S6 is a dog compared to the M5. It can not compete in that class of vehicle. The S8 should be compared with the 760il or the B7. Those cars are in the same class. This whole thread has be comparing two different class of cars.
If you must have an Audi wait until the RS6 comes out and that car will kick some butt. Hell I have nothing against Audi, I own an RS4 and I love it though to me it's under powered. I just saw the video of the new M3 rip the lungs out of the RS4 and I was surprised and the 997 GT3 destroyed the M3. The GT3 also badly out pulled the Audi R8. Porsche is king.

Cheers, GT3Ranger

Old 11-25-2007, 07:43 AM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
s6

The s6 is weak. I had an rs6 , that was a great car, but the current s6 is weak. Too bad there will not be a new rs6 sedan coming to the states

Old 11-25-2007, 08:06 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
This is a performance car forum...yet it seems many of you are completely forgetting the fact that the m5 is a true performance car...that just happens to have a ton of luxury and can take huge trips too...

I just drove/am planning to aquire a used m5 and those that say SMG is ****, arent treating it particularly fairly. In auto mode, OF COURSE its not going to be NEARLY as smooth as a merc box or almost any standard auto box...thats because SMG ISNT an auto...so if anything, you should be happy that a box that is so, SO sharp and proficient when in manual mode can double for auto when you are on the phone or in the city. As for the jerky aspect...I found with a very small lift (as others mentioned), you couldnt feel much of anything and in no way would it make passengers feel sick... As for the braking making one sick...well...sorry, with all due respect, learn to be more sensitive.

Who says the M5 cant cruise? 7th gear on a highway at 75-85 isnt hard for this car at all and short of the refuels (ok, that IS a minus of the car), the car is brilliant!!! The soundsystem is great and the seats/amount of room is wonderful!

That said, again, as others have said, the S8 is a COMPLETELY different kind of car. If your litterally going for a rider and you just want something comfy, has ALL the tricks, but CAN hustle a bit (not nearly like the m5 but...) than the s8 is your car.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:12 AM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
I purchased an 07 M5 some 6 mos ago. What I think the issue here is the auto mode as some have mentioned here. I do not like using it and never will (except when I'm stuck in traffic). The SMG tranny shifts just like it would if I were shifting with a manual, so that's my expectation. I sold my E63 to the M5 because (although the 63 engine is a marvel of an engine) it just didn't have the tactile feedback that the M5 provided after taking a road trip with a buddy down to Carmel. Not to mention, the loads of power in this sucker. Yes, it doesn't have quite the amt of torque my 63 provided, but 390 is nothing to scoff at. What I love about the M5 is the high-revving v10. Once you put this baby on Mmode, DSC off, S6 - it becomes one hell of a pulling machine. Again, do not expect it to shift like Mercedes trannies, but do expect it the car to be sharper in every way possible....even idrive's not a problem. It all comes down to getting enough seat time in this car to give a fair opinion. I've had the 63 for 4 mos and just had to go to the M5 after driving a friend's. Now I can't go back - well maybe for the Black Series.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Hey sechsgang very well said! Finally someone that understands what I've tried to say. My M5 is a dream to drive and will kick *** when necessary. Granted that it's heavily modded (as said 581 rwhp / 461 lbs/ft rw torque) but the car has not lost it stock feel when driving casually. The wife loves it and it's agreat daily driver.
I love my GT3 and GT3RS but the M5 is special in practical way.
If you are interested contact me and I'll tell you about ASR Engineering and Active Autowerke who created my M5 beast. Best most dynamic sports sedan out there.

Good luck to all,
GT3Ranger...Juan

Old 11-25-2007, 11:15 AM
JimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the roughJimGT3 is a jewel in the rough
oh, and one more thing - the 06 m5s resale took a dive. I an in an insurance claim's institute and we received many complaints when some of these M5s were totaled and their market value was well below expectations. The '07s+ are fine though.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:32 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GT3Ranger
Hey sechsgang very well said! Finally someone that understands what I've tried to say. My M5 is a dream to drive and will kick *** when necessary. Granted that it's heavily modded (as said 581 rwhp / 461 lbs/ft rw torque) but the car has not lost it stock feel when driving casually. The wife loves it and it's agreat daily driver.
I love my GT3 and GT3RS but the M5 is special in practical way.
If you are interested contact me and I'll tell you about ASR Engineering and Active Autowerke who created my M5 beast. Best most dynamic sports sedan out there.

Good luck to all,
GT3Ranger...Juan
haha, I think my M will remain fairly stock...I cant imagine killing off even more of the gas...haha.

I dont know why so many have such a hard time understanding that the auto mode is just a secondary function of the trans...w/e, let em miss out!

Old 11-25-2007, 03:47 PM
JWC
JWC is infamous around these parts
I don't think the OP is looking for a race car he has one...997TT.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by JWC
I don't think the OP is looking for a race car he has one...997TT.
pschh..that thing stock is a lux gt car with a ****Eload of speed...

Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 PM
NickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura aboutNickyBlack has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JimGT3
I purchased an 07 M5 some 6 mos ago. What I think the issue here is the auto mode as some have mentioned here. I do not like using it and never will (except when I'm stuck in traffic). The SMG tranny shifts just like it would if I were shifting with a manual, so that's my expectation. I sold my E63 to the M5 because (although the 63 engine is a marvel of an engine) it just didn't have the tactile feedback that the M5 provided after taking a road trip with a buddy down to Carmel. Not to mention, the loads of power in this sucker. Yes, it doesn't have quite the amt of torque my 63 provided, but 390 is nothing to scoff at. What I love about the M5 is the high-revving v10. Once you put this baby on Mmode, DSC off, S6 - it becomes one hell of a pulling machine. Again, do not expect it to shift like Mercedes trannies, but do expect it the car to be sharper in every way possible....even idrive's not a problem. It all comes down to getting enough seat time in this car to give a fair opinion. I've had the 63 for 4 mos and just had to go to the M5 after driving a friend's. Now I can't go back - well maybe for the Black Series.
+1 and i have both, at least for a while till i get rid of one of them.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYWOqm_Zkc

tiff seems to feel good about the m5...haha

Old 11-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned
Awesome video, I'd like to see the S8 or S6 demonstrate those characteristics. For the last time it is an outrageously dynamic sports sedan. It's an engaging car.
Thank you for that great video

Cheers, GT3Ranger...Juan

Old 11-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Texas911 is infamous around these parts
You can't lose choosing either one.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:17 PM
I also had some time with my colleague's S8. It is an excellent cruiser. Extremely quiet even at 100mph and feels very stable in triple digits likely due to weight. Amenities it is full with and plenty of torque from the getgo. The seats are plush and supportive with much more rear leg room than the M5. It's more of a car to be matched with the S-class than to the M5. I would consider it over an AMG 4 door.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M5 or S8.....