997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

M5 or S8.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:18 PM
avi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really niceavi8tir is just really nice
M5 or S8.....

So, about the time that I got my 997TT last spring I also got a 2007 Acura MDX which was to be my "practical" car for daily driving. At that time I still had my 06 M3 as well. Now that my M3 is gone, I am back to 2 cars. 997TT & MDX.

I am so bored with the MDX after only 6 months that I cant stand it.

So I am about ready to pull the trigger and replace it with something else.

I REALLY REALLY want the S8, but they absolutely plummet in value.

The M5 is awesome and I loved my M3, so this would be a good replacement for it.

any opinions on this?

Old 11-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
CLS 63, tremendous looks, torquey V8 as pluses. Minus delaer service

M5 plus is 6 speed manual, but minus is looks and somewhat complicated engine.

S8 plus is size end design, minus resale and dealer service.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:33 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
I just received my 2008 S8 and let me tell you this thing is beyond the M5. In fact the level of the S8 is in similar league as the S63/CL63 or Alpina B7, not same as the M5. Its much more luxurious, smooth, comfortable, and the technology in it is just amazing. I guess the only cons on this car is it's resale, and it's power. By all means it is not slow but just not as fast as the M5, but with more torque.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:34 PM
jox
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
If I could only have one car for the rest of my life, it would be the S8.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:35 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I have a '07 M5 and I just put a deposit down on a 997TT coming from an '06 M3 myself. Its my first non-manual car and I have to say that I love it.

I've put 20K miles on it since March including an 8400 mile road trip across America. I'll list the benefits:

- Seats: very adjustable and comfortable, after 10 hours of driving a day I was never tired and never really sleepy behind the wheel unlike the M3.

- Navigation: worked great, plus real time traffic, only downside is that it takes a long time to input, but once the destination is set its great.

- Comfort: bluetooth, sirius radio, very decent stock sound system, electronic dampening control, very good ride height, zero issues with clearance, and it has alot of soundproofing in the cabin.

- Gas mileage: sucks, if you are driving in the city and aggressively expect around 9mpg, on the highway it gets to about 18mpg, but it has a small tank. Expect to fill up almost daily depending on the length of your commute. On a full tank and my day-to-day driving my range is 180miles.

- Drive: I raced a friends CLS55AMG several times, acceleration the cars are identical, so similar AMGs will be on par. The handling is great, it feels better than the M3. It has a very nice steering wheel, nice thick, and it varies the resistance to make you feel more intune with the car. The electronic dampening is great, you definitely feel a difference. Power wise the car needs to be above 4K to move, and above 6K RPMs for you to feel the real power of it. The plus side is that you can still drive it around civilized. The automatic switch modes for the transmission all suck, so if you are looking for a care-free ride I would go with an AMG, but if you like the paddle shifts you never have to worry about the crap-auto settings.

Overall I would give the car a 9/10 honestly because it still puts a smile on my face, I love driving it, and I never have to worry about bottoming out regardless of how fast I drive and how crappy the roads are, tons of power, tons of fun, and enough comfort that it doesnt leave you wanting.

Dont have any experience with Audi's so I cant say anything about them. But personally I love the M5

Old 11-23-2007, 01:22 PM
thuggy has a spectacular aura aboutthuggy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I REALLY REALLY want the S8, but they absolutely plummet in value.
I have two thoughts... one... get what you really really want and be done with it... or...ywo, get a used one and let someone else take the hit.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:41 PM
SLC4S is infamous around these parts
M5 ftw...

Old 11-23-2007, 01:44 PM
dkreidel is infamous around these parts
Interesting - I just returned from test driving a replacement for my E55. I drove both a 550i sport pkg with manual trans, and and M5 with manual trans. As the Porsche TT should satisfy weekend drives with my hair on fire, I was expecting the 360HP 550i to be more than adequate for commuting to work - wrong! The M5 is a much different car, and during the test drive had an opportunity to get way, way above 100 MPH on Laguna Cyn road. Simple decision: I'm ordering an M5 for Euro delivery in mid-February. PM me if you are looking for a great, great deal on an M5 from stock at a local dealer.

Be sure to get the HUD if you buy an M5!!

Dick

Old 11-23-2007, 01:50 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
I love the silver green S8, its an amazing car and the soundsystem is terrific. Definatley an S8 its in another league very sporty and sophisticated luxury sedan.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:13 PM
CondorCGT is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Both M5 and S8

Old 11-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
I have an '06 E60 M5 and let me tell you, I never want to get out of it or reach my destination. I own a GT3 and GT3RS. They are different animals obviously but the M5 is "luxury on steroids" as I call it. It is comfortable to go out and also to kick butt if you need to.

The Mercedes AMG's are boring. Yes they have power but the delivery is different. Th M5 allows you much more in put and the SMG tranny is awesome. The Audi is a boat. It is not sporty and to me it's an old man's car even though I'm 57 but I'm still crazy.
The M5 is the most agile luxury sport sedan out there. Mine is heavily modded so it is not typical (581 rwhp). I recently out pulled a modded Z06 Vette by 2 to 3 cars on a rolling start, 60 to 185 mph. That was a thrill and a half.

I would say only consider the Audi in the future with the upcoming RS6 twin turbo 580 bhp ( but prob. be in 140's). For the present the M5 to is king for this class of car and driving excitment.

Later tonight I'll send you a link of my M5. Take one out for a test drive and you'll stop looking for another car.

Good luck and happy hunting, GT3Ranger... Juan

Old 11-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
personal experiance.

M5 for agressive driving.

S8 for a all around super sedan.. You wont see yourself coming and going everywhere either...

I think the interior fit and finish and build quality of the S8 is better than that of the M5.

Last edited by Fabryce@GMGRacing; 11-23-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:55 PM
ashokn225 has a spectacular aura aboutashokn225 has a spectacular aura about
S8 all day. Looks better, drives better, interior's better, rarer, cooler.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:13 PM
imolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of light
looks are subjective, then you've either never driven an S8 or never driven an M5, yes, yes, and subjective.
Originally Posted by ashokn225
S8 all day. Looks better, drives better, interior's better, rarer, cooler.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:18 PM
ashokn225 has a spectacular aura aboutashokn225 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci
looks are subjective, then you've either never driven an S8 or never driven an M5, yes, yes, and subjective.
Driven both (actually I've taken the M5 to 174), looks are subjective, but the general consensus is the S8 looks better. But yes, subjective. The M5 is an amazing car, but for some reason, I wasn't a big fan when I drove it. I can see you own one, and if you're happy, you made the right choice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M5 or S8.....