997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Over Revved the engine today.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:05 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
dmundy,

thanks for your info. i can see that there is MUCH for me to learn. the guys here on 6 have been a huge source of advice.

thanks again!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
okay...forgive me, but i've got a newbie p-car question. i've only had my car since late may.

i know everyone will most likely have a different opinion, but i want to throw it out there.

what rpm's do you usually shift at.....at each gear? this question if for daily driving. i have a 996 and a 986.

also, johnww, in the above thread mentioned that w/ other brands of cars, people downshift to slow down. what do you recommend for pcars? i really need to hit a driving school, but won't be able to until spring when they offer classes again.

any advice or info?

thank you in advance!
You should never use the engine to slow down the car, esp at the track. The reason to heel-toe is to keep the car balanced. If you downshift from a high rate of speed, it can cause the rear wheels to jerk and then you to spin. The downshift is to put the car in the right gear for coming out of the corner.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
okay....sounds like i've been doing okay then. i've only been downshifting when i'm coming out of a corner. i've tried to watch everyone while we are rallying around mountain roads, country roads, etc, to watch when they brake, etc. just trying to see what they do.

but, i am guilty of downshifting when approaching a stop light. as i let off the gas and the car slows down.....i down shift to 2nd verses using the brakes the entire way to slow down.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 PM
crocrr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EEBD
The bearings are fried. It won't be long until you throw a rod. Just give it to me before the noises haunt you forever.

I think you have a good chance of being in the clear if you haven't noticed any issues yet. 7K doesn't seem all that high for these engines anyways.
The car is on its way to you

The car seems to drive fine. In idle though if I slowly increase the rpms, there is a vibration at 1800, which goes away by 2000. Perhaps I am being paranoid and it has always been there in our cars.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Eddie has a spectacular aura aboutEddie has a spectacular aura aboutEddie has a spectacular aura about
edit: nevermind, didn't read that it hit to 7000 rpm.

you should be fine. Disregard my intial reply.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
so.....while driving a bit more spirited, shifting at 6K rpm is a bad thing i'm guessing? maybe shift around the 5K mark?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
If you want to go fast shift at redline. Of course, the higher the shift, the harder it is on the engine- but thats why we all bought Porsches! Usually around town, I shift at 4k.

BTW BG, you should downshift on the straight before the corner.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
If you want to go fast shift at redline. Of course, the higher the shift, the harder it is on the engine- but thats why we all bought Porsches! Usually around town, I shift at 4k.

BTW BG, you should downshift on the straight before the corner.
oh good! i've been doing that. whew! i'm doing something right! lol!

Old 12-02-2007, 01:36 AM
ivory8 is infamous around these parts
^----do u know how to heel toe??? I think its quite fun once you learn how.

its when you brake and down shift at the same time. using the ball of your foot to press on the brake, then your heel jams the gass real quick to up the rpms then you push in the clutch and downshift while the rpms are at their peak.

here is a good representation of what you should be doing with your feet.

heel-toe-shifting

Old 12-02-2007, 02:00 AM
Mercedes Benz is infamous around these partsMercedes Benz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BoxsterGirlie01
so.....while driving a bit more spirited, shifting at 6K rpm is a bad thing i'm guessing? maybe shift around the 5K mark?
I shift at redline every chance i can get!

Old 12-02-2007, 04:11 AM
WARDHOG is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ivory8
^----do u know how to heel toe??? I think its quite fun once you learn how.

its when you brake and down shift at the same time. using the ball of your foot to press on the brake, then your heel jams the gass real quick to up the rpms then you push in the clutch and downshift while the rpms are at their peak.

here is a good representation of what you should be doing with your feet.

heel-toe-shifting
Can't heel-toe shifting with E-gas Porsches

Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
You should never use the engine to slow down the car, esp at the track. The reason to heel-toe is to keep the car balanced. If you downshift from a high rate of speed, it can cause the rear wheels to jerk and then you to spin. The downshift is to put the car in the right gear for coming out of the corner.
excellent advise. When I mentioned using the brakes to slow the car down if a high speed accident is pending, that was the thing to do with US HP cars which have crappy brakes. That is the reason Porsche and BMW make such good brakes. That way, brakes alone can be used to stop the car. You just have to get used to using brakes only on street driving.

When I overrevved my M3 engine, there was no way the M3 (I thought from habit with a vette) could have been stopped from sheer disaster with only brakes. But downshifting to second (no grind whatsoever) too soon (got panicked) solved that. The car avoided the accident, but the engine bill to me was $8K. After that mishap, I got in the habit very quickly to judge braking-conditions fairly soon so brakes alone stop this turbo. Porsche engines are a bit pricey, much more so than a M3 engine.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
I hate to downshift...I only downshift when i really have to. The brakes on the new 997TT are just retarded they dont know when to stop braking...LOL

Whenever im driving esp over 60mph+ I just let the Rpm's get around 2k and just throw it in Neutral(only when cruising). And mash the brakes. Give the tranny a break for crying out loud.lol

Old 12-03-2007, 07:03 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I think I've read previously in posts on overrevs that the data is kept somewhere other than the ECU and that it's there "forever" - it can't be erased.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I think I've read previously in posts on overrevs that the data is kept somewhere other than the ECU and that it's there "forever" - it can't be erased.
My salesman told me the same thing....

It stores...Avg RPM, Avg Speed, Redlines, just to name a few.

Also I think he mentioned to me that it stores Date & Time whenever you screw up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Over Revved the engine today.