997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Over Revved the engine today.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:27 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
The date and time are stored on this website

Old 12-03-2007, 04:40 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by oak
wow, bummer you just lost your warranty.
i highly doubt his warranty is gone like that - no aftermarket parts have been installed (that were at least mentioned) a dealer nor company may void a warranty based on something like this -

that thought is absolutely ridiculous... and im sure he has NOTHING to fear

prove me wrong...

Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM
crocrr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
i highly doubt his warranty is gone like that - no aftermarket parts have been installed (that were at least mentioned) a dealer nor company may void a warranty based on something like this -

that thought is absolutely ridiculous... and im sure he has NOTHING to fear
prove me wrong...
Thanks Dave.
I have a Tubi exhaust only and Champion Porsche will warranty it as they are mod friendly. I hope that it will extend to the over revv.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by crocrr
Thanks Dave.
I have a Tubi exhaust only and Champion Porsche will warranty it as they are mod friendly. I hope that it will extend to the over revv.
Trust me the motor is fine....

I've been racing motocross for about 4 years now. And I hit the Rev Limiter/ Over Rev alot. And I havent had any major problems(of course re-build every 15hrs)...I've blow motors due to oil pump/pressure failers but never an over rev. Unless your keeping it at 7k RPM for a 1/4mile...

Porsche wouldn't sell an engine that will blow if it over revved once or twice. you have nothing to worry about, there couldnt be any damage done to the motor. Just drive it as you normally would.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
how is Stage One Abuse? it cuts the Fuel off... im sure these motors were made to be much safer than the 7200 RPM where Fuel Cut is...

Old 12-03-2007, 07:04 PM
MikeyD is infamous around these parts
Do most of you use the brakes to slow the car down or do you also down shift in combination with the brakes? Will down shifting damage the clutch over time?

Originally Posted by johnww
A lot of US drivers make this mistake coming from vettes, mustangs where often downshifting is used to slow the car down at hight speed. However, the US-gears will grind if in region of mechanical overrev (8K rpm). And too, US engines are not the "interference"type and pistons won't hit valves with a mechanical overrev.

You would know right away if a piston hit a valve. 7000 won't hurt, they have chips that set the rpm at 7600 with no harm. Lucky you caught the rpm, often with such misshifts, the rpm is over 8000 if doing +80m/h and the engine valves get bent a bit.

You can make engine-destroying mistakes by overheating etc, or drive the car into a lake, but you best not overrev....Porsche nor your insurance pays for that small bit of carelessness. And yet Porsche and BMW make the synchronizers so slick, that the driver can put the gear in second at speeds over 100 mph with no grinding.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MikeyD
Do most of you use the brakes to slow the car down or do you also down shift in combination with the brakes? Will down shifting damage the clutch over time?
It depends...Its more of a Drivers Preference.

I use my brakes when im driving around town. But if im on the highway driving 75mph+ I'll Use Brakes & Downshift if I have to. But you shouldnt be downshifting if your just driving around town, your wearing out the clutch for no reason. Save the downshifting for the track.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
guarantee if a year from now or at anytime under your warranty if you have an internal diagnosed problem with your engine such as a spun bearing, rod knock, etc.. they will check for forced over revs and you will not get any love if there recorded type 2's.

type 2 forced over revs are looked at differently than just standard accellerating over revs. with accellerating over revs the ecu will cut fuel and timing to prevent damage to the internals. the problem with type 2 over revs is the engine was basically forced past the designed threshold of the internals.

damage may not be noticeable right away, premature stress and wear could be postponed and become noticeable later.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I have touched 7k quite often on mine while heavy braking for a low speed corner while coming from 5th or 6th...car runs like a ****in' champ.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oak
guarantee if a year from now or at anytime under your warranty if you have an internal diagnosed problem with your engine such as a spun bearing, rod knock, etc.. they will check for forced over revs and you will not get any love if there recorded type 2's.

type 2 forced over revs are looked at differently than just standard accellerating over revs. with accellerating over revs the ecu will cut fuel and timing to prevent damage to the internals. the problem with type 2 over revs is the engine was basically forced past the designed threshold of the internals.

damage may not be noticeable right away, premature stress and wear could be postponed and become noticeable later.
There are no type 1s or type 2s any more. The revs are set by ranges 1-6. See my previous post and pics.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 PM
keevo54 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche997TT
I hate to downshift...I only downshift when i really have to. The brakes on the new 997TT are just retarded they dont know when to stop braking...LOL

Whenever im driving esp over 60mph+ I just let the Rpm's get around 2k and just throw it in Neutral(only when cruising). And mash the brakes. Give the tranny a break for crying out loud.lol
Bad habit to throw it into neutral. Keep it in gear in case of an emergency; you can't react as fast if you have to put it back into gear.
One over rev to 7k will not damage your engine. Continue to drive and have fun

Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by keevo54
Bad habit to throw it into neutral. Keep it in gear in case of an emergency; you can't react as fast if you have to put it back into gear.
One over rev to 7k will not damage your engine. Continue to drive and have fun
I'll keep that in mind thanks

Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I'm sure what ever ranges are used there is a way to diagnose a forced over revs. either way you will get no love.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:16 AM
DSUNNYM1 is infamous around these parts
Please pardon my ignorance,, I am not too engine savvy.

Does this apply also for a tip trans??
can you over rev while in Manuel mode on a tip?

If so would the rev limiter not save you from any damage??

Old 12-08-2007, 02:08 AM
TurboBill is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DSUNNYM1
Please pardon my ignorance,, I am not too engine savvy.

Does this apply also for a tip trans??
can you over rev while in Manuel mode on a tip?

If so would the rev limiter not save you from any damage??
Interesting question, but something I dont want to try.

Can you manually down shift the tip to the point where the engine over-revs, or is there an electronic saftey guard which would prevent the transmission from downshifting even if you tell it to?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Over Revved the engine today.