997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Over Revved the engine today.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
When you have a stage 2(996) or high ranges 4-6 (997) you definetly will have issues with warranty, and if you are pals with the dealer, he can't do anything, since they will hook your car up with Porsche thru internet, and they are the ones sayiing yeah's or nah's. In the other hand if your computer has issues, (like brain damage,etc) then.........cheers, Sonny.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:47 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by keevo54
Bad habit to throw it into neutral. Keep it in gear in case of an emergency; you can't react as fast if you have to put it back into gear.
One over rev to 7k will not damage your engine. Continue to drive and have fun
I put mine in neutral all the time coming up to a light. A lot of wasted effort sitting there at a light with the foot on the clutch. Earlier I find it easier to go from neutral to 2nd or 1st (for accurate control), then sitting in 4th or 5th coming up to a light where you wouldn't get any power anyway and in an emergency would still need to go to 2nd or 1st at the low speeds coming up to a signal light. Shiftting is shifting wherever gear one is in. And too, with the gear shift in neutral at a light, life is sure a lot more pleasant especially with the long lights in my area. Gives me that one-feeling and only that one feeling of an automatic I used to like.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:03 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by DSUNNYM1
Please pardon my ignorance,, I am not too engine savvy.

Does this apply also for a tip trans??
can you over rev while in Manuel mode on a tip?

If so would the rev limiter not save you from any damage??
Automatics have a electronic control that won't let the transmission shift down to a forbidden gear....thus saving the "interference" engine. Porsche/BMW could have provided such a safety mechanism for the manual but never will. Now BMW provides a SMG transmission for M3s, this is a standard transmission, but shifts are mechanically accomplished electronically, so there is a safety mechanism built in to avoid overrevs from mistaken shifts.

In late 2001, many M3 engines were being shredded by drivers and BMW blamed owners for misshifts. Then one fellow had an SMG and did a study (via a forum like this one) and found just as many engines were in the toilet with SMGs as there were with standard transmissions. However, the SMG powertrains were electronically blocked from misshifts. When this data was gathered and sent to BMW, BMW finally omitted that it was their valve trains getting toileted (poor design of their new engine and a badly claimed 8K redline), not the drivers shifting into second at high speeds causing forced overrevs. Good piece of observation on an owner's part (and posting on a driver's forum-webpage like this one) was responsible for gathering all the info from all the unlucky drivers and forwarding this data to BMW. I then, got my engine fixed under warranty saving me $4-5 easily.

Last edited by johnww; 12-08-2007 at 08:08 AM.