997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

wheel cap/HRE question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:25 PM
buzz is a jewel in the roughbuzz is a jewel in the roughbuzz is a jewel in the rough
Hey Can,

Are these P40's 19" OR 20" Inch? Awesome looking.

Buzz

Old 12-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Banned
HREMarc is infamous around these parts
No problem, anytime. Please forward me some pictures when you get the wheels installed.

Marc

Originally Posted by dkreidel
Marc at HRE was very gracious today and showed me the available finishes and caps. I'm going to go with the brushed/clearcoat finish. I have a white M3 cab with RAC Mononbloks (Champion manufactured forged wheels) that are silver powderocat, and to my eye the brushed aluminum will look better against my white TT. I think I would have chosen the silver powdercoat if the car had been red, blue or black though - white cars seem to need a bit more "punch" with wheels. HRE has a new matte black powder finish that has a nice texture to it - I'm sure younger people would jump on this finish for white car - but I'm old!

As far as the center caps, I may have to make some myself. We have Haas CNC equipment at work and I'll probably make a set of centers up and mill in the script "turbo" like the stock Porsche centers. Maybe since I'm buying a set of HRE wheels I can talk them into brushing/clearcoat my homemade 6061-T6 caps to match for me? :>))

HRE has a really nice modern shop - they are great people and are very willing to assist us select just what we want - they realize a set of their wheels is a relatively big expense and want us to get exactly what we want - thanks Marc!

Dick

Old 12-07-2007, 07:27 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Congrats. I think you'll love the wheels.

BTW, the stock 997 Porsche Turbo cap does NOT have the "turbo" script, just the black crest. Was it the 996 Turbo wheel that has the script?

Originally Posted by dkreidel
Marc at HRE was very gracious today and showed me the available finishes and caps. I'm going to go with the brushed/clearcoat finish. I have a white M3 cab with RAC Monolites (Champion manufactured forged wheels) that are silver powderocat, and to my eye the brushed aluminum will look better against my white TT. I think I would have chosen the silver powdercoat if the car had been red, blue or black though - white cars seem to need a bit more "punch" with wheels. HRE has a new matte black powder finish that has a nice texture to it - I'm sure younger people would jump on this finish for white car - but I'm old!

As far as the center caps, I may have to make some myself. We have Haas CNC equipment at work and I'll probably make a set of centers up and mill in the script "turbo" like the stock Porsche centers. Maybe since I'm buying a set of HRE wheels I can talk them into brushing/clearcoat my homemade 6061-T6 caps to match for me? :>))

HRE has a really nice modern shop - they are great people and are very willing to assist us select just what we want - they realize a set of their wheels is a relatively big expense and want us to get exactly what we want - thanks Marc!

Dick

Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Thanks. These are 19. For ride and handling issue, I stick with 19.

Originally Posted by buzz
Hey Can,

Are these P40's 19" OR 20" Inch? Awesome looking.

Buzz

Old 12-07-2007, 07:53 PM
dkreidel is infamous around these parts
Thanks Cannga - I don't know where I saw the turbo scrip then... must be an "old-timers" moment. I know our CNC equipment has a script writing software package. I think I can scan the Porsche "turbo" logo and then let the software create the tool path for the mill. If I can get the turbo logo milled in script, fill it with black and then brush/clearcoat the whole thing it should look great.

I wish the boat would hurry up and dock in San Diego - then the car must be trucked up to Bellingham WA as that is where I bought the Turbo and my C2S. I get to motor down the coast and back to Yorba Linda ...and finally meet Jason while in WA after e-mailing for such a long time!!

Dick

Old 12-07-2007, 07:54 PM
lager99 is infamous around these parts
If going black, keep it plain.