997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

strait pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 PM
silversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura about
When you cleared the code did it come back?

How do you like the sound you have now (You have straight pipes and no cats, ie. muffler bypass, correct??)

Old 12-11-2007, 06:18 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Muffler Bypass pipes replace the stock exhaust and still use the cats, Muffler/Cat bypass is one pipe (or two if you use seperate bypass pipes) bolted up to the turbo. I had the FVD race pipes, one single pipe from turbo back, it was horrid! Buy a NICE sounding exhaust that will result in good gains too..

Old 12-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned
Dial_911_Turbo is infamous around these parts
i want more hp but with great sound...not necesaraly loud. weight reduction is good to

Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by silversrt
When you cleared the code did it come back?

How do you like the sound you have now (You have straight pipes and no cats, ie. muffler bypass, correct??)
I just have headers to straightpipes...nothing blocking...its pretty loud for sure, but its not awful...then again, Im young and its a "racecar" so I dont mind it. I LOVE the sound when Im on it. The car sounds kinda like a turbo diesel low down but, its whats natural so I love it!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:42 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
You are a bigger man than I. We ran the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<ST1Buffalo </ST1</st1:City>run with straight pipes and by the end of the day every time we would coast down a hill we would sigh with relief!

<O</OI was very happy to put my muffler back on. It is loud enough people hear me come down the street, but I don't have to rattle my head in the car while driving. The HP difference in the two is negligible at best. So it is still a win/win<O</O

Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
You are a bigger man than I. We ran the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<ST1Buffalo </ST1</st1:City>run with straight pipes and by the end of the day every time we would coast down a hill we would sigh with relief!

<O</OI was very happy to put my muffler back on. It is loud enough people hear me come down the street, but I don't have to rattle my head in the car while driving. The HP difference in the two is negligible at best. So it is still a win/win<O</O
definitely...I acutally have a bastardized B&B gt exhaust (stripped out cats) that is the PERFECT sound for the car (sounds like straightpipes, doesnt lose any power, lighter than stock by a longshot etc.) that I have for Limerock and other DB intensive tracks too though...

Old 12-12-2007, 12:08 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
definitely...I acutally have a bastardized B&B gt exhaust (stripped out cats) that is the PERFECT sound for the car (sounds like straightpipes, doesnt lose any power, lighter than stock by a longshot etc.) that I have for Limerock and other DB intensive tracks too though...
Exactly, all of that arguing with me and I totally forgot you still DO have amuffler, either way you slice it. Throw some straight up pipes from the turbo's back on your car and see how it feels and sounds

Old 12-12-2007, 02:10 PM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
I dont think I would go with full straight through exhaust. Go with cat bypass pipes and different mufflers. Unless you are racing or are going for serious high HP. Straight pipes dont effect low end torque with a turbo car, only with NA cars. With turbo cars the less restriction, the better.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Exactly, all of that arguing with me and I totally forgot you still DO have amuffler, either way you slice it. Throw some straight up pipes from the turbo's back on your car and see how it feels and sounds
no we were arguing for good reason...I have pure straight pipes...thats my backup for limerock...haha

Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
I dont think I would go with full straight through exhaust. Go with cat bypass pipes and different mufflers. Unless you are racing or are going for serious high HP. Straight pipes dont effect low end torque with a turbo car, only with NA cars. With turbo cars the less restriction, the better.
this is a good answer.

I have run straight pipes for years and must admit I really love them. I love the sound, power, and 50 some pound weight reduction.
that said they are not for the faint of heart. I would not recommend them unless you are some kind of hard core guy or track guy. your are going to have to buy a fancy new exhaust with 100 cell cats for thousands of dollars.

me about $500 bucks and more top range power, faster spool, Cup car sound, huge weight reduction where it counts, the down side for me is there isnt one.

again I do not recommend straight pipes as most do not like them, I am just adding my personal opinion, and you know what that's worth!

oh yeah and not to confuse anyone the below pic shows no rear bumper as well (I also dont recommend doing that)

Old 12-13-2007, 08:07 PM
silversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura about
Dont want to beat this to death but want a good understanding. Tell me if Im wrong. I can get muffler bypass pipes that have new cats attached from AWS. These will bolt onto the turbo discharge and basically replace the entire exhaust system. They have O2 bungs and cats integral, so they should set off no check engine light. This should save maybe 30 lbs or so, be substantially louder, and cant hurt performance allthough improvements in performance seem to be questionable or minimal.

Am I right on all that?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
You know how many people think.say that? It simply IS NOT TRUE.. They do affect low end torque, the motor is in the rear, there isn't a lot of distance for exhaust gasses to travel with really 0 back pressure, it does not apply to the Porsche Turbo car's especially with SMALLER turbo's.. It's been said time and time again, and I can attest to it, so can other tuner's on here!

Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Y65MPH is infamous around these partsY65MPH is infamous around these parts
I am running K24's with Fabspeed pipes. I have 100 cell cats. I have no loss in low end and my spool up is instant. My throttle response is far better. The sound is loud but not brutal. Cold start up is very ugly though. My heat shields rattle sometimes at 3000 RPM which sucks.

I have V-Bands on the cats so I can change from straight pipes to a Fabspeed moderate in about 15 minutes.

I pull out at the 3:05 mark and my PSM kicked in, but if you continue to listen you will hear me go through the gears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6UhxfwFYPM

Craig

Old 12-14-2007, 08:54 PM
ashokn225 has a spectacular aura aboutashokn225 has a spectacular aura about
How are you guys taking this thread seriously? Guy owns a 997 Turbo but doesn't know how to spell, type, punctuate or speak english in general? And doesn't know what straight pipes are?

i want more hp but with great sound...not necesaraly loud. weight reduction is good to
and
what are they exactly?? i no they make ure car sound better but do they increase perf. and do just have strait pipes or do u also ad like a new exhaust too?