997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Took the Turbo to the track!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:58 PM
BSM
BSM is infamous around these parts
Took the Turbo to the track!

I finally took my 997TT to the track at Thunderhill... insane. Kept traction control on all day (saved me a number of times). Its no GT3, but its still a rediculously fun track machine!!! Here's a link to the post and pics...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=109412

Old 12-09-2007, 09:46 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Thank you for sharing, looks like you had a great time unleashing the Turbo's potential.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
toffeGT2 is infamous around these parts
Track day event will eventually get you familiar with your turbo, I took most of my cars to the track except my Van.. Nice pictures!

Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 AM
jay_ftw is infamous around these parts
Great pics, glad you had fun!

Old 12-10-2007, 04:00 AM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Thats cool, I have to do that one day myself! Did you hook up with the Porsche club (Golden Gate region)? I am thinking of an autocross meet that usually is held at Candlestick parking lot (now Monster Park).

Old 12-10-2007, 06:24 AM
BSM
Originally Posted by gradyex
Thats cool, I have to do that one day myself! Did you hook up with the Porsche club (Golden Gate region)? I am thinking of an autocross meet that usually is held at Candlestick parking lot (now Monster Park).
Did the track day w/ Hooked on Driving, they do a lot of events at Thunderhill...

http://www.hookedondriving.com

This was my second event w/ them, was a great event - well organized, safe, good coaching, etc.

I should prob try it, but have a hard time getting excited about the auto-cross events held in big parking lots... but I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from taking any next steps to get to the racetrack!

Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
JonA85 is infamous around these parts
nice pictures. looks like you had fun. i wish i could take out a 997T on a track

Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
I love THill and HoD is a good group.

Sounds like you're "hooked." Maybe I'll see you out there next time with my Cobalt 997TT.

-Chris

Old 12-10-2007, 06:55 PM
BSM
Originally Posted by chrisn
I love THill and HoD is a good group.

Sounds like you're "hooked." Maybe I'll see you out there next time with my Cobalt 997TT.

-Chris
Hooked for sure - what a killer track! There were 2 other 997TT's there as well, which was fun to see... one in Meteor Grey and another in Basalt Black. Next time let's make sure we have a Cobalt one onsite as well.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:21 PM
c2mojo is infamous around these parts
Not enough 997TT's on the track, nice pics.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:32 PM
crd
crd is infamous around these parts
Looks like a great track. I took mine out for the first time in September, a 3-day event at Pocono Raceway, a big tri-oval for Nascar events with 2 small road courses tucked in the infield. Even so, an absolute blast!! Now I'm hooked on tracking. Can't wait until next season (damn snow!).

I went with the local P-club and found it to be a really great experience. Course, it helps to have one of the fastest cars in your group

Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crd
Looks like a great track. I took mine out for the first time in September, a 3-day event at Pocono Raceway, a big tri-oval for Nascar events with 2 small road courses tucked in the infield. Even so, an absolute blast!! Now I'm hooked on tracking. Can't wait until next season (damn snow!).

I went with the local P-club and found it to be a really great experience. Course, it helps to have one of the fastest cars in your group
Check out PDA, they're a fun group to go with, lots of other cars (Vipers, vettes, f cars, etc) Less **** than the p clubs imo.
Here's a vid from the Glen in August, Red, 150 on the back straight. I eventually cought my buds Viper.......
C
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtoKCt45yQc

Old 12-10-2007, 11:35 PM
BSM
Great video!

For anyone who doesn't know Thunderhill, here's a great drive by Johannes van Overbeek (from Flying Lizard) testing out a GT3 RS for Excellence magazine...

http://www.excellence-mag.com/movies...LENCEGT3RS.mov

Old 12-11-2007, 08:05 AM
bandi is infamous around these parts
That looks like a great track---super pics! I tracked mine last month and found that with traction control ON the car kept trying to self correct, especially on long sweeping curves at 80 mph. Turning it OFF eliminate this. Sharp, quick curves seemed smoother too but surely more spinout risk.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
nice!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Took the Turbo to the track!