997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Upgrading my 997 Turbo to 750-800 HP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:15 AM
JAC
JAC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SHANKENFELTER
are you keith ta from the supra days...

That's the guy I'm talking about. Looks like there are a couple Keith Ta's in the modified car world. Regardless, good luck with the project! Somebody has to be a pioneer and it's nice to see individuals (read: not shops) stepping up to the plate once in a while.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:31 AM
SLC4S is infamous around these parts
there's always got to be a first... happy to sit/watch/learn/enjoy

Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 AM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
this sounds interesting. i bet it'll be an amazing beast!

Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 AM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SLC4S
there's always got to be a first... happy to sit/watch/learn/enjoy
+1 Keep us posted!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:43 AM
charles is infamous around these parts
looking forward

looking forward to final product.
gooday

Old 12-23-2007, 07:57 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keithta
Hi Jac,

No - I never owned a Supra. I have been all over the M6board.com and M5board.com using the same "keithta" username. You may have recognized me from there - or maybe not...; ) Also, a number of forums have posted links to my videos so that could have been why you recognized my name.

Tom Kerr,

You are completely right. It is far more econmically sensible to buy and modify a used 996tt than a new 997tt. So whats the point you ask.....

Undoubtedly, one will get more power per dollar spent on a 996tt with alot less headache. But, since I already owned a modded 996tt, I wanted to get into something new. So I decided on this 997tt project.

As for my view, I personally love venturing into unknown territory when it comes to squeezing power out of my cars. Ive done it for years and I am sure some - even many in this forum have done so as well. Drawing up a custom plan, putting into motion and seeing it come together successfully is what the fun is truly all about. (To me that is)

I am really pumped about the project. Hope all comes together smoothly and will keep you guys in the loop as things progress.

Keith
Thanks Keith, sounds like you will enjoy the project!! Good luck!!

tom

Old 12-23-2007, 11:37 PM
ggmr is infamous around these parts
would be interested to hear what the larger turbos will produce against the stock ones. my next upgrade will be gt2 innercoolers and the larger turbos if the gain is enough. have giac race software and header/200 cell cats/sport muffler now. never enough hp!!

Old 12-26-2007, 01:07 PM
My87Targa is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by QTR TT
do you need that much hp (800 hp) to run a 135 trap speeds? i had a mustang that ran 130s with only 450-500 whp (600-650 hp). i think you should be able to pull close to 140+ with your hp goals.
a mustang will run the same time with a lower trap speed all day long, its hard to get a 911 off the line like a mustang or camarro from what ive seen

Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
do you have any updates yet.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:22 PM
mr993 is infamous around these parts
its a time bomb, good luck...

Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 PM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Heres the update:

* The custom turbo fabrication - GT3071Rs are installed in the car. A first for the 997TT as per the shop doing the work.
* The Coolant and Oil Lines for the turbos are run.
* Upgraded Intercoolers in.
* Had to add wider custom tubing from intercooler around to throttle bodies to accomodate greater airflow from the GT3071Rs. Stock piping was too restrictive.
* Injectors and fuel system was to be installed, however injectors may not be needed. The 996 TTs came with about 40lb injectors. They would notmally lean out with this setup. The 997TT already comes with around 60lb injectors so the fuel the car already produces in stock form should be sufficient enough.

Tasks Remaning
* Catless Exhaust almost done.
* Wastegate Actuators will be installed
* Install Profec Wastegate Controller
* Adding an IPD Plenum (they have one for the 997TT) and doing some dyno tests on it as well (before and after) That may help power some as well.
* Stock Clutch is apart and being replaced with complete system with light weight flywheel to hold the greater HP.
* On Dyno Tuning.

Will be watching fuel and HP levels closely and may dial the car in to the 630-650 whp level to keep things safe since we are using stock internals. Thats still 750 HP. Well see how tuning comes along and we will find a safe level to set it to.

I was told by next week tuning should start. My good guess is that my car will be ready in 2-3 weeks from today if the tuning goes as planned.

Then back to Florida for Techart body kit with GT3 vent and HRE 20" wheels.

I'll post another update soon as I get more info.

Keith

Last edited by keithta; 01-08-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:45 AM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by keithta
Will be watching fuel and HP levels closely and may dial the car in to the 630-650 whp level to keep things safe since we are using stock internals.
where did this change come about?

- chuck

Old 01-08-2008, 01:15 AM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carendt242
where did this change come about?

- chuck
Hi Chuck. Not sure what you are asking... what change?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
I think your project is great. But I just keep thinking about how much this is going to cost you. The mods have to be more than the base car itself. Why not get another Lambo - LP640 maybe? Or perhaps a Saleen S7? I've met Steve Saleen a couple of times - a real car guy if there ever was one. A low mile CGT might also seem appealing. I saw a yellow one just yesterday that blew my socks off.

If you were doing the work yourself I could see working on it for "the love of the game" - a labor of love so to speak. Or if you already have a stable of fine cars and are just sparing no expense to attempt the impossible then I totally understand. But paying to send it out of state and have someone else do it while you wait around seems like a waste. If it were me, I would want to be in that shop every day seeing the progress, making sure my money was well-spent. I guess what I am saying is that for the money you are spending you could have something nearly as crazy without all of the hassle. That's no knock on you. But me - I guess I'm not that patient any more.

The mod bug has hit me in the past as well (Brabus B55S). But at the end of the whole thing, I realized that for what I spent on mods I could have bought a much nicer and more exclusive car. And when I realized that I paid someone else to have the fun of actually building, tuning and testing it, I had to face that - for me - I made kind of a bit of a bad bargain.

That's not to say I don't love that car though! To each his own.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Barrister; 01-08-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 AM
mr993 is infamous around these parts
Keith, best of luck. It sounds like you are going about this project with a lot of well thought planning/engineering/fabricating. and if this is the car you want to build go for it. I like the tuning idea of a little at a time. Im sure you will keep us informed, again have fun and best luck too you..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading my 997 Turbo to 750-800 HP!