997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

mod advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:58 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I agree the only thing it really "needs" out of the box is an exhaust.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:33 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand why Techart doesn't make a Magnesium wheel using the same design they've been using. It's hands down probably the best LOOKING wheel on the market. If they made it in Magnesium, it'd be nice and light and would probably become an instant success, not to mention they'd be able to charge an even larger premium on the wheels.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:24 PM
tunari13 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the input. I don't think it is "all modded up". If you think about it all I have done, mechanically, is added the exhaust, remapped the ECU (I have a flashloader and can switch back to stock in about 10 seconds), air box which is really about looks not much more, and added the Bilstein PSS9's coilovers. The only obvious body change is the Werks1 diffuser in the rear.

I had a 996TT and personally I don't think it is in the same zip code with my 997TT or my 993TT for that matter, but just my view.

Good input on wheels. I think I am going to go with the HRE C21's. For guys that went with new wheels were you able to get any value for the stock rims ?

Will post pics as soon as I get the car back from the PSS9 installation.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Banned
HREMarc is infamous around these parts
We have some new C series wheels coming out shortly. C90, C93, C95, and C97. Keep checking on the website in the coming weeks. We can take orders when you are ready. The C90 is a 10 spoke mesh, the C93 is a 10 spoke, the C95 is a 5 spoke and the C97 is a split 5 spoke.

Decisions, Decisions......

Old 12-17-2007, 05:44 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HREMarc
We have some new C series wheels coming out shortly. C90, C93, C95, and C97. Keep checking on the website in the coming weeks. We can take orders when you are ready. The C90 is a 10 spoke mesh, the C93 is a 10 spoke, the C95 is a 5 spoke and the C97 is a split 5 spoke.

Marc,

You folks did a wonderful job on remodeling my wheels to all black-Thank you very much.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tom kerr
With your apparent modding addiction you would have been far better off buying a 996 turbo and modding that.

Good luck.
That edit came a tad too late my friend. Glad you cut out the vitriol though - makes the whole forum a better place.

I have an SLK55 AMG Mercedes that I heavily modded (nearly every mod Brabus offers for the model including B55 engine upgrade and custom ECU - 420 hp). I really enjoyed the process and how it turned out. It took me a year to get it all souped up. Damn fast and looks like a million $$$. After they featured the car in a couple of magazine articles about Brabus, I got to know Bodo Bushman (Brabus founder) and Claus Ettensberger (exclusive NA distributor for Brabus) personally. I started hanging around the shop in Newport Beach everyday with Andreas Hartman and Peter Moeller - head Brabus sales guy and technician. I really got obsessed. But in the end, I had to admit that I could have bought a much better car (like a fully loaded 997TT or late model Ferrari/Lambo!) for the base car + mod expenses.

I still love my SLK though - always will (see pics below). But beyond some very light/cosmetic mods (Techart wheels, steering wheel, foot pedals - good thing Claus does Techart too!) I don't think I will do much with my 997TT. Just love it how it is. But I know how addicting the mod bug can be.

Variety is the spice of life!

Attached Images    

Last edited by Barrister; 12-17-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Barrister
That edit came a tad too late my friend. Glad you cut out the vitriol though - makes the whole forum a better place.

I have an SLK55 AMG Mercedes that I heavily modded (nearly every mod Brabus offers for the model including B55 engine upgrade and custom ECU - 420 hp). I really enjoyed the process and how it turned out. It took me a year to get it all souped up. Damn fast and looks like a million $$$. After they featured the car in a couple of magazine articles about Brabus, I got to know Bodo Bushman (Brabus founder) and Claus Ettensberger (exclusive NA distributor for Brabus) personally. I started hanging around the shop in Newport Beach everyday with Andreas Hartman and Peter Moeller - head Brabus sales guy and technician. I really got obsessed. But in the end, I had to admit that I could have bought a much better car (like a fully loaded 997TT or late model Ferrari/Lambo!) for the base car + mod expenses.

I still love my SLK though - always will (see pics below). But beyond some very light/cosmetic mods (Techart wheels, steering wheel, foot pedals - good thing Claus does Techart too!) I don't think I will do much with my 997TT. Just love it how it is. But I know how addicting the mod bug can be.

Variety is the spice of life!
As I stated I had no intention to offend. As you describe your experience many of us (myself included) have had a similar experience. then after you are done with your pet project you reflect and try to advise. that was my intention.
to advise to leave a near perfect car alone. but as you and I and many have done, if you havent got it out of your system yet them by all means mod away.
As for the "vitriol", as you call it, it was not intended. And obviously, I am not your friend. Can't say many lawyers are.

tom kerr

Last edited by tom kerr; 12-17-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
And obviously, I am not your friend. Can't say many lawyers are.

tom kerr
Nice. You must be the life of the party down there in Tampa Doc.

And as for your potshot against lawyers, all doctors hate lawyers . . . until they need one. Who do you run to when you miscount your sponges or want to patent a new medical device? As a vascular surgeon, you should know that a good lawyer can come in mighty handy. Or have you been in the classroom too long?? I can tell you that your patients are glad I am around or doctors would run roughshod over things like informed consent, standards of reasonable care and ethical billing practices. Not all lawyers are saints - but not all physicians are Dr. Schweitzer. So, I guess we balance things out.

I don't know whether you intended to offend anyone by your post or not. But you must have thought it was a bit over the top or you wouldn't have cut all that venom out of it. As a lawyer, I can only follow the evidence. Let's look at the posts:

Before:

With your apparent modding addiction you would have been far better off buying a 996 turbo and modding that. I am amazed at what you have done to a beautiful new high performance car.
What is your driving experience that a near 500 hp car brand new porsches top of the line is not even good enough to drive for a year before starting to waste money on it with products that have not even been on the market for the car barely a year.
I am truely astounded.

Good luck.
After:

With your apparent modding addiction you would have been far better off buying a 996 turbo and modding that.

Good luck.
You be the judge. I would have probably had more respect for you if you had just kept your rant intact.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Now, back to talking about cars.

Last edited by Barrister; 12-17-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:39 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by tom kerr
With your apparent modding addiction you would have been far better off buying a 996 turbo and modding that. I am amazed at what you have done to a beautiful new high performance car.
What is your driving experience that a near 500 hp car brand new porsches top of the line is not even good enough to drive for a year before starting to waste money on it with products that have not even been on the market for the car barely a year.
I am truely astounded.

I dont think my original post was off color and didnt mean to offend. Also didnt mean to offend you so just relax and enjoy your car and the Holidays.

tom

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 12-18-2007, 09:30 AM
mricorp is infamous around these parts

I hate being teased.

I think if you were a nice guy you would give us a sneak peak in this thread...

Old 12-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Banned
HREMarc is infamous around these parts
I dont have the magic number of posts to post pics. I will ask one of my dealers to put some in today.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:38 AM
mricorp is infamous around these parts
I dont have the magic number of posts to post pics. I will ask one of my dealers to put some in today.
You are the best!!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Former Vendor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
Here are some of the pictures that we have of the new additions to the Competition series of wheels from HRE. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

Attached Images      
Old 12-18-2007, 11:40 AM
tunari13 is infamous around these parts
Alan
Other than the obvious what are the differences between the C21 (12 spoke) and the new 10 spoke wheel pictured here ? Sizes ? finishes ? weight ?

Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Former Vendor
WheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant futureWheelEnhancement has a brilliant future
The C70 is made in 17". All other styles of HRE Competition series wheels are 18 and 19" only. Finishes are silver, charcoal, black (texture or glossy), brushed with a clear coat or fully polished. The new C90 series are about 1 pound per wheel lighter than the earlier styles of C20 Series HRE Competition wheels. I would expect the new wheels to weigh about 17.5 to 20 pounds in 18" sizes. The C70 8.5x17 we weighed came in at 16 pounds 7 ounces.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: mod advice