997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

clicking noise from wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:42 AM
rbc997t is infamous around these parts
Cool clicking noise from wheel

i recently did the giac flash and a.w.e exhaust and am pleased with the results.my car has only 1,500 miles on it and last night started to hear a clicking noise coming from drivers side rear wheel.the faster i go the faster it clicks to where at above 40 mph you do not hear it anymore.it happens at speeds below around 40 mph and if i take it out of gear and coast i still hear it.there are no vibrations and the lugs are not loose so i am hoping it is something simple .now that i've done the mods i am reluctant to bring to the dealer,hoping someone here could give some input on what it might be.thanks!

Old 12-23-2007, 04:14 AM
Alcyon has a spectacular aura aboutAlcyon has a spectacular aura about
Something simple could be a little object stuck between the tyre threads.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:33 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I would definitely take it back to where you got the GIAC/exhaust system set up.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Barry 94Formula is infamous around these parts
This is going to sound strange, but it could be that one of the retaining nuts on your valve stem has come loose and is bouncing around inside the tire.

If you only hear it at low speeds then it stops at a certain speed the force of gravity is pinning the object to the side of the wheel and keeping it from moving, so you no longer hear it.

Had this happen to me once and the clicking drove me crazy. A tech took the wheel off and you could hear the nut clanking around.

I don't know how P-Cars valve stems are set up, But it would be easy to check.

Good luck.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by atomic80
I would definitely take it back to where you got the GIAC/exhaust system set up.
the exhaust was put on by the dealer 2 months ago and i removed the ecu and sent it out to get flashed. i'll just keep trying to troubleshoot the problem as i haven't really driven it nor looked into it further since the other night.thanks for the advice though.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Barry 94Formula
This is going to sound strange, but it could be that one of the retaining nuts on your valve stem has come loose and is bouncing around inside the tire.

If you only hear it at low speeds then it stops at a certain speed the force of gravity is pinning the object to the side of the wheel and keeping it from moving, so you no longer hear it.

Had this happen to me once and the clicking drove me crazy. A tech took the wheel off and you could hear the nut clanking around.

I don't know how P-Cars valve stems are set up, But it would be easy to check.

Good luck.
WOW!,you are not gonna believe this.i just was out inspecting the wheel and noticed that the wheel,which is a forged 20 " Marion MR3 that has an identically designed center as the factory albeit larger and in matte black finish has two cracks across the spokes.i guess the torque from the giac flash is too much for their "forged" wheel.i hope that it is a defective wheel as i have never launched the car at any rpm higher than is needed to get the car moving forward but have run it hard with psm switched off a few times when it kept intervening and cutting back power like my old W211 E55 used to.Peter at Wheel Experts will take care of it i am sure as he has been very helpful during and after the purchase of these beautiful yet possibly not forged enough wheels.lol.thanks for everyone who responded!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:38 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I doubt its too much torque causing the crack but rather a manufacturing issue. So glad you caught it before a catastrophic wheel failure at speed.