997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Porsche driving school question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:23 AM
rbc997t is infamous around these parts
Porsche driving school question

i am interested in taking one of the PDE classes but when i checked online they only use non turbo cars.does anyone know whether they use turbo models at the class as i want to become a more skilled driver in the car that i drive not one that i do not?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:20 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
You could alternatively do a beginner DE school with PCA or someone else. I've found the Audi Club DE schools to be particularly good with a real focus on safety and fun in a low pressure environment.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:52 AM
whitlock is infamous around these parts
I would def. do the PDE, its a blast and I'm sure you will take away some usefull instruction from some of the world class racers they pair you with. We had 997 S' when I went, no turbo's. After you do PDE hook up with the a local Drivers Ed event and ask for an instructor that is familiar with Porsche Turbo's.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 PM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
No Turbo's but you don't need it for the class. It is more about learning technique. You will have some portions in Cayman's and Boxster's too.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Any in Southern California? LA or Orange County?? Thanks.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:39 PM
rbc997t is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by atlshaver
No Turbo's but you don't need it for the class. It is more about learning technique. You will have some portions in Cayman's and Boxster's too.
if they do not have turbo models available for the class i would hope for at least an all wheel drive car to learn with.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:57 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I have a 997TT and was also concerned because they didn't offer Turbos nor AWD cars to drive. But after going to both the 2 day high performance driving course and the masters, I discovered that you don't really need those cars. Like altshaver said, it's more about the driving techniques more than anything else. Trust me, you'll learn more in these two courses about driving than anywhere else you could think of going plus their race track is one of the finest in the world too.

I wrote about my experiences here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...highlight=psds

Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rbc997t
i am interested in taking one of the PDE classes but when i checked online they only use non turbo cars.does anyone know whether they use turbo models at the class as i want to become a more skilled driver in the car that i drive not one that i do not?
The limits of a Turbo are so high, it would make it very difficult to learn much from it in a driving school setting. You'll get more than enough of an education with the cars they use for their classes plus you'll have a ton of fun doing it. It's a not to be missed experience.

In fact you could come away with the same realization I did, and that was that a Carrera 2S would be a far more suitable car for my capabilities than a Turbo would ever be.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
996TTX50JRZ is infamous around these parts
My recommendation is to hire a professional driver to be your instructor at an open track event (or rent the track if you have the money). I know that David Murray is about $1200 a day including expenses, but well worth it. He is excellent in Turbo instruction. i know someone who hired him for 44 days last year.

Hiring a private tutor to drive with you in your own car is much better than any of the driving schools or PDE if you really want to know how to race.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I'd be inclined to disagree with that recommendation mainly because of the inherent risks in using your own car. If something were to happen, perhaps a mistake or something else then you could potentially lose your car. Insurance doesn't cover your car on a track or under certain driving instruction conditions. I'd much rather go to a driving school and use their cars paying a little bit extra for insurance so that you wouldn't be liable for damages incurred at the time.

I think that once you've taken a few driving courses and gotten some experience under your belt, then it'd be a good idea to hire a professional driver to teach you.

That's my .02 cents though.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 PM
VTach is infamous around these parts
I'd have to echo the comments of atomic80. Attended the 2 day course in Feb '07 and was amazed at the skills gained not only on the track but the skidpad and autocross area as well. The exposure to multiple instructors from various racing backgrounds was a delight. You will come away a better driver in whatever car you have in your garage! Worth every penny.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:34 AM
996TTX50JRZ is infamous around these parts
atomic80-

You are wrong about insurance coverage. i have completely totaled 2 of my own Turbos at the track, and State Farm covered 100% of all costs in both cases. Of course my rates increased, but considering my speeding tickets (one at 162.5 mph coming back from the 24 hrs of Daytona, my rates are high - BTW I beat that speeding in court because it was timed by aircraft in the twilight and the judge threw out the case).

I do agree with you that a novice may want some seat time at a driving school - i have gone to most and have not found them all that useful (especially PDE). Skip Barber is better in terms of learning car control, shifting, etc. But jeese man, we only have one life here anyway, and I am passionate about racing - take some risks for heaven's sake.

I have been a professional racer in the past, and am a Chief Instructor, so I probably have a skewed vision.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm surprised to hear that your insurance provided coverage at a tracking session. I've had several friends who have totalled/damaged their cars only to find that their insurance would NOT cover their car. Did you get a special track only policy or add an umbrella policy that covers tracking?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 AM
.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about.bg. has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 996TTX50JRZ
atomic80-

You are wrong about insurance coverage. i have completely totaled 2 of my own Turbos at the track, and State Farm covered 100% of all costs in both cases. Of course my rates increased, but considering my speeding tickets (one at 162.5 mph coming back from the 24 hrs of Daytona, my rates are high - BTW I beat that speeding in court because it was timed by aircraft in the twilight and the judge threw out the case).
I've heard many times the complete opposite from this, including from my own state farm agent: (You take your car to a track or DE - they will not pay.)

Old 01-05-2008, 09:30 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Originally Posted by 996TTX50JRZ
atomic80-

You are wrong about insurance coverage. i have completely totaled 2 of my own Turbos at the track, and State Farm covered 100% of all costs in both cases.
In my experience (with State Farm), this is not the case.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche driving school question