997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Mod Advise Needed.....Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:46 AM
DSUNNYM1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Marine8541
One of the only ways around it is that the DME is written back bit for bit 100% stock before it ever goes to a Dealer every time and then re-flashed with the tuned software.

Another option is you use Champion and flash the car and only go to them. Unfortunately once the car is plugged into the networked PIWIS system PCNA will know about it just after . This would be at any Dealer including Champion.
Does not sound like a good thing for resale down the line!!
So basically if i decide to sell the car to John Doe's Porsche in the west coast
once they run my Vin its game over!!??

Old 01-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Marine8541 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jlingk
Most P dealership mechanics are not even going to be able to tell your chip is flashed. The GIAC handheld flash loader allows you to flash back to stock before taking it in.
One thing you have to remember is that it is not the mechanics that see the info. Porsche had stopped in version 18 to allow the technicians to view if it had failed or not. They are currently using 19.4 now. The info is automatically transmitted to PCNA via the network system. The PCNA computer system then flags it. They will not generally void a warranty for small items, however they will if the car required an engine for some reason.

All of the switchable units do not re-flash the car, they switch the the map just like a country code in a Porsche will.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by DSUNNYM1
Does not sound like a good thing for resale down the line!!
So basically if i decide to sell the car to John Doe's Porsche in the west coast
once they run my Vin its game over!!??

Only if it was Void at the time you had it. It would be in a gray area if Porsche knew about it and did not void it and then you sold it. Lets say you had it flashed to stock also at that time. The new owner had no knowledge of the flash and the car checked out ok. At this time it would be hard for Porsche to void the warranty with the new owner, however this is uncharted territory.

The global checking and network has just recently been started and is evolving. They had originally been checking a CVN in which the switchable programs were fooling. Now it is automated and they will start puling binary samples that all tuned files will fail unless they are correct bit for bit in the entire range.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:49 AM
996TTX50JRZ is infamous around these parts
Folks-

Please note that the '08 Turbo has a different ECU than the '07. It is more difficult and less reliable to GIAC flash these more recent cars.

There seems to me to be more than enough power, with adding other modifications if you want, and it now seems to me to be the last thing that I would do. Suspension, exhaust, cage and seat time. After all, they were engineered by Porsche as race cars (even the Turbos with the correct mods).

Old 01-05-2008, 02:22 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DSUNNYM1
So let me get this straight,,

Champion being a mod friendly dealer will honor my warranty...

But lets say i decide to sell the car in a year or trade it to another dealer.

They will know the car has been flashed and warranty voided?? (HOW??)

If thats the case the car will be worth peanuts!!

Maybe i should just do the Exhaust & wheels for know??
get a CLONED ECU!!!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jlingk
Most P dealership mechanics are not even going to be able to tell your chip is flashed. The GIAC handheld flash loader allows you to flash back to stock before taking it in. Not foolproof of course but my car has been in for MAF sensor and timing issues and there were no problems (and the car was not reset to stock AND I had an EVO airbox installed).
Most P dealership mechanics are not going to find a flashed chip if they are not looking for it. A reputable service department should have upgraded to PIWIS...it will find any ECU flashes.

So I say again...CLONE IT!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by 996TTX50JRZ
Folks-

Please note that the '08 Turbo has a different ECU than the '07. It is more difficult and less reliable to GIAC flash these more recent cars.

Part number 997 618 602 00

Same part number for 07, 08s...

Old 01-05-2008, 04:28 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Different ECU would be news to me. Any further details? Maybe some of the sponsors could chime in here?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu

Part number 997 618 602 00

Same part number for 07, 08s...

Great idea, however the 987 and 997 7.8.4 DME's and especially the 997TT DME store information on other control units and a clone will not increment with them. Your miles may show 10,000 in the cluster yet the hours will show 10 in the DME as an example. They also store a timed date logger in the 997TT's DME via the CAN line.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Marine8541
Great idea, however the 987 and 997 7.8.4 DME's and especially the 997TT DME store information on other control units and a clone will not increment with them. Your miles may show 10,000 in the cluster yet the hours will show 10 in the DME as an example. They also store a timed date logger in the 997TT's DME via the CAN line.
I already figured on that. If your ECU is swapped at, say, 5000 miles, and you used a flashed ECU for another 20K...If you put your original ECU back in for a dealership inspection, the number of hours of car usage will very low for 20K miles...when you calculate actual miles per hour of usage, it will be four times higher (20K versus 5K miles.)

Hence...drive slow until you get your ECU flash...then go crazy!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:54 PM
996TTX50JRZ is infamous around these parts
I am holding the '07 Turbo and '08 Turbo ECUs in my hands right now, and the '08 has many more pins. Talk to the aftermarket tuners who have had trouble flashing '08s. At least around here...

With Porsche, part numbers are often like equivalancies - I used to work there.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Hence...drive slow until you get your ECU flash...then go crazy!
Now I like that, good answer

Old 01-06-2008, 12:15 AM
whyb2nd is infamous around these parts
modest tuning by a reputable tuner should yield a 997tt customer 50-60 whp/tq on pump gas. that's some kick *** power gains and it comes from small boost level increases with timing and air fuel adjustments. it's not rocket science and safe. a warranty issue will only appear if you have burned up turbos or toasted the motor or tranny. This isn't likely on the tunes offered today.
It's up to your game, the car is fast out of the box, if your hell bent on smoke'n a Z06 or 430, tune it, it won't blow up.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Here's my take, if it is a dealer installed chip you probably have some protection of the warranty. Just make double dog sure everything is fully documented. Champion can probably get away with this as they are (or at least used to be) the biggest Porsche dealer in the world, that must carry some weight at PAG. But if a local tuner did the ecu upgrade then all bets are off, it's up to your relationship with the dealer if something goes wrong. Maybe one of our attorneys can weigh in on this topic.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by whyb2nd
...a warranty issue will only appear if you have burned up turbos or toasted the motor or tranny. This isn't likely on the tunes offered today.
oh contraire my friend. The issue isn't that the tune is going to burn out the turbos or cause engine damage...the issue is that the beautifully design GT1 powerplant (as bullet proof as it is) can hiccup in it's lifetime. ANY repair...tune related or not....that brings up a CEL that requires a trip to the service workshop can be denied.

Not to scare off DSUNNYM1...I think the guys at Champion will honor Porsche's warranty. I think that it is unlikely that anything will go wrong. I think that DSUNNYM1 will have a lot of fun with another 60-80 HP ...I just think there is a little bit of risk involved...and you have to be prepared for the worst.

PS...I also think that the dealer service departments in my area are not very informed...and will try and screw me any chance they get.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mod Advise Needed.....Please