997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Mod Advise Needed.....Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 PM
whyb2nd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
oh contraire my friend. The issue isn't that the tune is going to burn out the turbos or cause engine damage...the issue is that the beautifully design GT1 powerplant (as bullet proof as it is) can hiccup in it's lifetime. ANY repair...tune related or not....that brings up a CEL that requires a trip to the service workshop can be denied.
Good point even though there is a very low % of a chance of this it's STILL a risk to a certain degree to tune.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:40 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I am a Lexus dealer and we run into this many times with the IS and GS cars. I am a mod friendly dealer, but once you have to call the factory rep out? You are toast. That is why I am hesitating on a re-flash myself. My last car was re-flashed and getting warranty work was not an option. Luckily I only had 19,000 miles and didn't need any.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Most P dealership mechanics are not going to find a flashed chip if they are not looking for it. A reputable service department should have upgraded to PIWIS...it will find any ECU flashes.

So I say again...CLONE IT!
Actually, that's a great idea. I know some people who have done that with no issues. Make sure you log some time on the clone every once in a while.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:06 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Make sure you log some time on the clone every once in a while.

The more time you log on the clone, the higher the average MPH climbs on the original ECU when you put it back in.

For example. Original ECU is run for 160 hours, for 6K miles...average MPH is 25.

Run cloned ECU for another 160 hours, for another 6K miles...then put the original ECU back for dealer service.

Dealer sees only the original 160 hours, but a total of 12K miles. This averages 75 mph...

Why do I want to log more time on the clone?

The more miles you log on your cloned ECU, the higher the average MPH...this would clue in the service manager to a cloned ECU.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 PM
DSUNNYM1 is infamous around these parts
Wink

Originally Posted by GotBoost?
I am a Lexus dealer and we run into this many times with the IS and GS cars. I am a mod friendly dealer, but once you have to call the factory rep out? You are toast. That is why I am hesitating on a re-flash myself. My last car was re-flashed and getting warranty work was not an option. Luckily I only had 19,000 miles and didn't need any.
thx for the info .....

More if a reason why I think I will
leave my ecu stock....

Sure is tempting for that extra HP though!!
But I think the cons out weight the pros on this one!!

Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 PM
whyb2nd is infamous around these parts
do a nice sounding exhaust to your taste and call it a day!

Old 01-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by whyb2nd
do a nice sounding exhaust to your taste and call it a day!
+1
Exactly what i was thinking.....Probally Tubi.
Only thing that worries me is, If it might get to me at times (sound wise) being I have a cab??

Old 01-10-2008, 08:24 PM
ggmr is infamous around these parts
i installed all three giac softwares. stock, pump and race. i was told to use the remote switcher and change to "stock" before going to the dealership for warranty work. i was promised that this would "hide" the other softwares and the dealership/factory would never know they are there.

i have not tested this, however, i was also told that my local dealership (newport beach porsche) is ecu friendly.

if anyone has had any experience with this, please let me know before i show my hand.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by ggmr@sbcglobal.
i installed all three giac softwares. stock, pump and race. i was told to use the remote switcher and change to "stock" before going to the dealership for warranty work. i was promised that this would "hide" the other softwares and the dealership/factory would never know they are there.

i have not tested this, however, i was also told that my local dealership (newport beach porsche) is ecu friendly.

if anyone has had any experience with this, please let me know before i show my hand.
Even if your local dealership is Mod freindly
being that you did not have your mods done by them,
chances are there not gonna be very freindly!!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:42 AM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ggmr@sbcglobal.

My dealer here in the SF Bay Area told me the same thing and that i would have no problems. They would do the install which is a simple plug and clone followed by 3 or 4 programs that I could choose from: the first being the stock (clone setting), the next might be 91 octane followed by 100 octane race fuel, etc. I passed on it because I still think the dealer has little control over what gets sent to PCNA as far as diagnostics go when they plug your car in after it comes in with a major engine issue. At least thats what i was told by one of the service techs. I honestly hope I am wrong because if I had some guarantee that the warranty would hold up it would be a no-brainer and the best mod for the money HP wise. Up until now my car is stock and I am happy with it. When my warranty expires (if I still own the car) then I am going for it. Meanwhile the first mod will involve the suspension , the second mod would be exhaust. Thats my .02