997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

RUF Appetizer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
nice collection of videos. RUF is absolutely the "Red Robin Inflation-Burger" of cars.

great work and an even better car. I am waiting for them to do more "firsts" for the Porsche world. their Yellowbird placed them on the map but since then I have been waiting for RUF to do more than attach electric shocks to the front of their higher-boost RT12 platform. I'd like to know what I get for the additional $100K vs a traditional "rods and tune" plus large front brakes and PSS10's.
How about Ruf wheels, aero kit, body fenders, and a bored 3.8L version of the GT1 engine, and a top speed of 219, perfectly flawless integration and incorporation of modification to factory components and a 3 year Porsche/Ruf warranty?

...maybe the answer is that RUF should produce their OWN flat 6 motor for their Carrera-like cars and that they then produce everything in-house (the entire car) instead of stripping a completely good turbo/carera/cayman and then reworking the same car.
You're saying this like it's a bad thing. Ruf is not the only tuner that strips and rebuild's production cars...look at Sportec and Techart...or Shelby and Callaway for that matter.

In reference to Proto/Tym/etc...I doubt a warranty is part of their package.

Last edited by bbywu; 03-19-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Gary in BR is infamous around these parts
If I am good this year will Santa bring me a Ruf?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:03 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
You're right. Lots of people do this. RUF is the one that seems to cost the most for the mass affluent. Their engineering package is very nice. I guess it it were me, and I offered a 590hp package of a 500hp car, I'd probably throw in a 36 month integrated warranty for the $100K insurance premium. EVOMS should do it, Imagine Auto should do it.

RUF was intelligent to offer that integrated warranty. If other tuners were as quick with this marketing gimmick they would tack it onto the price of their cars. Consider that the average mileage on the P-Car is well under 6K miles per year, on average, and especially as the price rises... or in the case of RUF, especially on the super-premium kits like this, so they get a big margin on the 36 months of insurance and bake it into the cost of the car. Not a ton of risk for a car that's rarely driven.

The tuner world is in fact an awesome, incredibly profitable business. RUF is very good on the marketing side and on the integration side. They were doing 210mph in their Yellowbird in 1987 so what I'd say is that Porsche built a better car every year and RUF stayed at the same speed but made the car more livable every year with the help of Porsche while creating a marginally faster-than-stock car which allowed them something that was more palatable to the mass market and something that Porsche would allow an "integrated warranty" on which is to say that whatever RUF didn't "touch" Porsche would cover and the rest would be up to RUF while recognizing that these cars are essentially, not driven to any appreciable degree. The warranty becomes a money maker.

Still waiting for more firsts. 9FF appears to be moving more in that direction.

The guy I absolutely REVERE is the Italian that drove his Porsche CGT every day and racked up some 80K miles on it. That's performance!

Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I <3 RUF

And I love my RUFus even more.....

Old 03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
hugo is infamous around these partshugo is infamous around these parts
nice collection of videos. RUF is absolutely the "Red Robin Inflation-Burger" of cars.

great work and an even better car. I am waiting for them to do more "firsts" for the Porsche world. their Yellowbird placed them on the map but since then I have been waiting for RUF to do more than attach electric shocks to the front of their higher-boost RT12 platform. I'd like to know what I get for the additional $100K vs a traditional "rods and tune" plus large front brakes and PSS10's.

I may be getting jaded toward super-tuner cars like this but it seems that they need something REALLY one-off to make them complete as a company. Their reworked Cayman is pretty wild, but for $500K I'd honestly rather own Porsche's own V10 CGT and if I want to be really insane, I'll order it (for $3K more) in a wild color like viper-green.

maybe the answer is that RUF should produce their OWN flat 6 motor for their Carrera-like cars and that they then produce everything in-house (the entire car) instead of stripping a completely good turbo/carera/cayman and then reworking the same car.

I have the most respect for their work, but it just seems like a Porsche Turbo with say, PSS10's on it, Proto/Imagine/Tym tuning and some HUGE brakes, exhaust, that you'd have a similar (perhaps more powerful car) car at 50% of the cost.
maybe you should get a post as Alois's consultant...

Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 PM
HRTC is infamous around these parts
Best cars around, IMO....................

Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Ruf have absolutely blown me away with their customer service.

I expected good service and after-sales support, given their reputation and the price paid for their products.

But they have EXCEEDED BY FAR even my wildest expectations. Without going into specifics since I may be accused of tooting their horn too much, (though anyone can PM me if they want more details on Ruf's service,) let me just say whenever I've approached them with a question or for some kind of support, they come back with MUCH MUCH more than I had dreamt.

Expensive? Yes

Completely enjoying your purchase, with ZERO buyers remorse and the benefit of ongoing manufacturer support that goes above and beyond anything you could have imagined? Priceless

Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
SpeedYellow, go with 9ff and tell us what you think in a few years.

Their latest 1000 hp monster managed a 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds in the latest EVO, for roughly €500.000. Now that's expensive!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:57 AM
BankBuster23 is infamous around these parts
great video...I wouldn't mind "settling" for the RKCoupe!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:28 AM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
The RKoupe looks like a lot of fun! Love the seats in there too..

Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 AM
acropora997TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KompressorKev
i don't know if this video has been posted yet, but it's an awesome vid of the RT12 in Mexico Blue. and driven by Tim Schrick, with some awesome camera work and sounds!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HboR3Mwx8HI&feature=related
Thanks for sharing. Wish it was in English. Is that blue definitely Mexico blue. It appears slightly darker to me. I do like the color with carbon fiber wing.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
I have driven the RK Coupe.

Nice car, but it's a bit slow for my liking. Not that it's a slow car, but it's just not the same as the Rt12 if you know what I mean.
But it's a very controllable car, and a lot faster than most think!
And I like it because there's no delay in power distribution.

The RK Spyder would be more like a substitue for a motorbike on Sundays.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 AM
eight0zero is infamous around these parts
sooo cool...

soooo expensive...

Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 PM
KompressorKev is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by acropora997TT
Thanks for sharing. Wish it was in English. Is that blue definitely Mexico blue. It appears slightly darker to me. I do like the color with carbon fiber wing.
actually i'm not sure if it's mexico blue. that's what i assumed, but it could be a different color. gulf or something? i'm not sure. anyway, it looked awesome. i never heard of DMAX before but they have some nice vids...definitely can hear the sound of the RT12. i think modern RUFs look great in that (mexico?) blue color...especially the 996 MKII RGT and the 997 RT12

Old 03-20-2008, 03:43 PM
911_RUF is infamous around these parts
Amazing vids! just amazing

RUF!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RUF Appetizer