997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Winshield Tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Winshield Tint

I wanted to get my windshield a tinted strip but the installer at the shop said it might interfere with the GPS.

Has anybody put a tinted strip on there 997's? Any problems with GPS?

I have 3 options...

1. Tint Strip
2. FULL windshield tint
3. "PORSCHE"w/tint(on the top of the windshield)

Which one should I do?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:33 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I have my front windshield tinted at 60%(very light) with Huper Optik Ceramic Tint. The rejection is amazing. I have no problems with reception since its ceramic based and not metallic. They also have Graphite now as well.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:47 AM
e90to993 is infamous around these parts
Pardon my ignorance (i looked at the thread as I'm considering a windshield tint too), but where is the antena? Is it on the dash or in the windshield?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:57 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porsche997TT
I wanted to get my windshield a tinted strip but the installer at the shop said it might interfere with the GPS.

I have 3 options...

1. Tint Strip
2. FULL windshield tint

Which one should I do?
Skip the logos.

Do you have a radar detector?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:00 AM
NYSpeedRacer84 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by e90to993
Pardon my ignorance (i looked at the thread as I'm considering a windshield tint too), but where is the antena? Is it on the dash or in the windshield?
The Antennas are built into the windshields......It's hard to see, but if you really look you can see it. All my cars have their windshield tinted at 50%....

Old 01-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
Skip the logos.

Do you have a radar detector?
No I don't have one.....

Old 01-10-2008, 08:58 AM
NYSpeedRacer84 is infamous around these parts
Yes, I have a Valentine V1 and it works fine...not sure if its as effective but it works

Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 AM
slykmr is infamous around these parts
If i recall the NAV antenna is in the wiper cowl. So the windshield tint should have no problem with this. I have tinted many windshields and have never had a problem with the law or my V1. Though i would suggest doing the whole windshield or none. A cop friend always told me that if you have just the top strip tinted it is obviously tinted as you can see the difference. But if the whole window is tinted the reduced visibilty for people outside can be played off as a glare or something. Just my .02.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 AM
rbc997t is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche997TT

I have 3 options...

1. Tint Strip
2. FULL windshield tint

Which one should I do?
i've tinted some of my past mercedes and bmw's with navigation system and e-pass transponders for toll roads and have never had a single problem with any interference.i did the entire windshield and even though some may tell you it will cause problems and you will get a ticket for tinting the entire windshield,i have not had any issues especially if you do the windshield in 35% or 50%.the light meters that nearly all law enforcement carry do not work on windshields as they are made to go over an open end of window which will not work on windshields.if they somehow can see that it is tinted they will just warn you to remove it.i did not tint my windshield on my porsche only because i went with 15% tint on it and that is perfect and doing windshield in even a 50% would make it darker than i would like aesthetically.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:03 PM
RaDaRkInG is infamous around these parts
To the people that tint their windshields:

Don't you have to put a brake tag on the window tint and then eventually remove it. Won't this mess up the tint when they try to scrape the old tag off and put on a new one?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:55 PM
emthree is infamous around these parts
It depends on where the antenna is hidden for stock units. I have 20% on my front windshield and my Magellan700 could not acquire a signal. I ended up buying a tomtom720 which works without problems.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 PM
emthree is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RaDaRkInG
To the people that tint their windshields:

Don't you have to put a brake tag on the window tint and then eventually remove it. Won't this mess up the tint when they try to scrape the old tag off and put on a new one?
Yeah some people cut a square out in the tint for sticker location. I use heat to loosen the glue before I replace any stickers.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:46 PM
GrahamPaul is infamous around these parts
Hope this isn't a stupid question but are there no restrictions on tints on any of the windows in the US? Wanted to know this for a while..

Old 01-10-2008, 04:35 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GrahamPaul
Hope this isn't a stupid question but are there no restrictions on tints on any of the windows in the US? Wanted to know this for a while..
Yes - there are restrictions.
My son had the windows in my M3 tinted and got a ticket for them being too dark. The law varies state by state in the U.S.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:38 PM
RaDaRkInG is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GrahamPaul
Yes, there are restrictions from state to state. Most of the states only allow a tint strip of about 4"-6" or the AS1 mark on your windshield.

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

http://www.tintlaws.com/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winshield Tint