997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

AWE Tuning Project 700S: 712hp on 93 octane!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
AWE Tuning Project 700S: 712hp on 93 octane!

Well, we've finally arrived at our goal.

The most recent phase of power development raised us from 569whp to 599whp, all on 93 octane. This power was also achieved with our standard exhaust system with catalytic converters in place. Truly a fully streetable power package!

The 30whp increase can be attributed to improved intercooling, intake plumbing and throttle enhancements, and further software development with GIAC.

All components are now in manufacturing production phase, and here are some photos showing the behind the scenes of what it takes to develop a kit like this.

Almost all of our exhaust projects are undertaken with CAD design. This has allowed us to fine tune subcomponent fitment and accurately model for balanced flow. We achieve equal flow on our headers, for example, by CAD modeling the primaries and secondaries as in the images below:

Once the header geometry is solved virtually, we create full size cut templates to then build our jigs. This sort of approach is superior to the typical hand prototyping solely done on the vehicle, as it allows us to test and measure product parameters to a much higher tolerance on the computer.

Once our jigs are completed, we build a test sample to verify fitment on the car. In the case of the 997TT, we also tested heat barrier coatings and determined there was no real benefit to be found. We are using 321 grade stainless tubing for the entire header.

The increased boost from the modified VTG turbos we are using definitely pushed the stock intercooler units beyond capacity. We then embarked on an upgraded intercooler system design. This intercooler upgrade will also be able to work on 997TTs with stock turbos.

Unlike other systems on the market, we did a proprietary design for the 997TT. Therefore, no chopping or grinding of the OEM brackets is necessary to fit our system to the car. Our silicone hoses also have a more natural bend than we have seen on other designs, resulting in improved flow and less stress on the hoses themselves.

Here is a CAD rendering of the entire system:

Even though CAD analysis is a very useful way to virtually test fit products, there is no substitute for the real thing before we go to mass production stage. In the case of end tanks, we use a cast aluminum process which is not done in house. In order to reproduce the exact model we intend to have done in cast aluminum, we first get an SLA model. SLA (Stereo Lithography) is in essence a 3D printer that builds up layers of compound to create 3D models. It is a very useful way to get real models in your hand for very little cost.

Below is a picture of our intercooler end tank SLA models on the right and the actual cast aluminum samples on the left:

The raw casting need to have some post processing machining done. We have designed these end tanks to work with both 996TT and 997TT through a movable threaded pin. The locations of the mounting pins on the end tanks are faced, drilled, and tapped in our CNC vertical mill. All the fixtures to hold these odd shaped end tanks in place were also designed and machined in house:

Finally, here is a current dyno sheet as produced on our AWD Mustang chassis dynamometer. We were very excited when we broke through the 700 crank hp barrier on pump gas and full exhaust. Once some final software tuning is completed, we'll have GIAC produce a 100+ octane race fuel file to see just how far these turbos car be pushed.

Project 700S stands for 700hp in Street mode. I suppose we need to call the next phase of development Project 750T for 750hp in Track mode? We're claiming our next target in public right now. Stay tuned to see how it develops!

Further background on the development of this kit can be found in this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=83592

Any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer.

We have an early spring anticipated public release of this kit. Pricing is still being determined.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Test rides available. Please give us a call.

We are located 30 minutes north of Philadelphia.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
For the modified turbos dyno whats the difference between the stock turbos and the ones that were on your test car?

Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Test rides available. Please give us a call.

We are located 30 minutes north of Philadelphia.
Any internal upgrades needed to handle >700HP?

Old 01-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by raiyu
For the modified turbos dyno whats the difference between the stock turbos and the ones that were on your test car?
The corrected crank horsepower improvement of our kit equates to roughly 100+ hp / 45+ ftlbs over stock turbos with GIAC chip/exhaust.

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 01-10-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bbywu
Any internal upgrades needed to handle >700HP?
We have not found the need for uprated internals at this power level.

Our test car has been flogged on multiple track days and several thousand road miles in addition to the extensive dyno testing.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:08 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Todd,

How will your 700S package differ, if at all, from EVOMS 700 package ? Are they basically the same ? What will your system cost ? Do you have a local installer in Long Island ? Approx. cost of installation ?

Old 01-10-2008, 03:10 PM
tortesq1 has a spectacular aura abouttortesq1 has a spectacular aura about
Todd,

Neglected to ask if your 700S system is compatible with the tip. If so, will the tip tranny need to be upgraded ?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Holy crap. Nice work guys. My kids can go to public school.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 PM
crd
crd is infamous around these parts
Test ride taken!

Acceleration is enough to push blood out of your brain. No s--t. And yet the car seems as docile as a stocker when just tooling around the neighborhood. I would love to take a few laps with this sucker.

My kids do go to public school. Until next year anyway. At least I have something to look forward to when I get jaded from the "lackluster" performance of ECU/exhaust/?plenum upgrades.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Darkclaw13 is infamous around these parts
Well done, AWE. Those are some great gains.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:03 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Todd/AWE
We have not found the need for uprated internals at this power level.

Our test car has been flogged on multiple track days and several thousand road miles in addition to the extensive dyno testing.
Not even the clutch? I was under the impression that the stock clutch couldn't handle more than 550-600 hp without slipping at some point.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by atomic80
Not even the clutch? I was under the impression that the stock clutch couldn't handle more than 550-600 hp without slipping at some point.
Clutch and flywheel has been changed. Todd was referring to engine internals.

Sachs Stg 2.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:11 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Thanks for clarifying that for me, Mike.

What's your thoughts on changing the stock flywheel to the LWFW? The folks who have done it to their GT3 seem to love it. I'm not sure if the lighter clutch effort will make that harder to properly modulate. My thinking is that I'd maybe like to go with the Sach Stg 2 clutch + LWFW when the time comes to change out my OEM clutch. I'm just wondering if it'd be a good idea to do that or just stick with the Sachs clutch instead.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by atomic80
Thanks for clarifying that for me, Mike.

What's your thoughts on changing the stock flywheel to the LWFW? The folks who have done it to their GT3 seem to love it. I'm not sure if the lighter clutch effort will make that harder to properly modulate. My thinking is that I'd maybe like to go with the Sach Stg 2 clutch + LWFW when the time comes to change out my OEM clutch. I'm just wondering if it'd be a good idea to do that or just stick with the Sachs clutch instead.
My pleasure...

The clutch/fly combo totally changed the car in my opinion. I could never achieve silky smooth heel/toe downshifts under heavy breaking with the stock flywheel. The revs rose and fell too slowly. Now, they are seamless.

The clutch effort and engagement feel with Stg. 2 is no different then stock. Don't let that scare you. Our Stg. 3 gets a bit touchy with some chatter when the clutch meets the flywheel surface.

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 01-14-2008 at 06:53 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWE Tuning Project 700S: 712hp on 93 octane!