997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Gt-r R35 Vs 997 Turbo At Tsukuba Battle!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:02 PM
ihatepotholes is infamous around these partsihatepotholes is infamous around these parts
um... i think someone on NAGTROC.com explained that the TT did NOT have much tread left on the tires... i honestly think it would've been a driver's race if both had same tires on.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:11 PM
DeAd-EyE is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by medici78
The GT-R is an amazing engineering feat. That's undeniable. However, I don't feel it is direct competition to the 997TT. I'd spend $130k on a 997TT before I'd spend $70k (or $90-100k, due to the initial markup) on the GT-R. Mind you, this is coming from a guy who traded a modded Motorex R33 GT-R for a modded 996TT.

certainly everyone's entitled to their opinion but could it be that you prefer the overall fit and finish and newer quality to the older R33?

I would certainly never give up a 911 for one of my buddy's R32's but the GTR is brand new, so i dunno...it'll have a good fit and finish and stuff.

How was the R33 btw? did you ever get a chance to wail on an R32? I only ask because internet kids with too much time on their hands complain that its the heaviest of the 3 generations, but compared to the R32 its only like 200lbs heavier, with more power and a MUCH stiffer chassis, so the tradeoff should be worth it

Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
ArsenalSC is infamous around these parts
Impressive car no doubt but the TT driver blew that turn twice!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Oh no not this again. I thought we were done with this until the car actually came out. Japanese car, Japanese drivers, and a Japanese TV show. hm.... I wonder who's going to win. Plus, the skill level of the driver is extremely important. The Pcar driver didn't really didn't hit clean lines.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
All you have to do is watch the video, the TT was driving like a 500 rwhp rwd car the way it was drifting around the course. As mentioned they even said the tires were shot, (which begs the question, why would they run a car with shot tires vs a car with fresh tires?, well I've seen shot tires on a 996 TT before on that track) the GT-R had racing seats in it if that is the same one in all the videos, and no telling what else on it.

And it's BEST MOTORING for goodness sake, I could have told you the outcome before the new GT-R began developement.

And Vladcanada is a troll.

BTW here is the Best Motoring video of the 996 TT drifting.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ezNgtWmnu9k

try drifting a 996 TT on some decent tires without using the ebrake and then tell us what you think.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-14-2008 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Dr J is infamous around these parts
The Nurburgring time, the Inside Line test and this ---> all point to a great accomplishment by Nissan considering the price point they are selling the car at.

I think this will be great for P-car fans because Porsche will be forced to increase the performance numbers of the 997 (maybe this will encourage them to give the Cayman some much needed hp too!)

Dr J -- who would love to see a Cayman Turbo and a 600 hp 997 TT (if Porsche can make a 500hp Cayenne Turbo --- then they should make these cars too).. and also thinks HeavyCHevy needs to take his fricken blinders off.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
i dont think turbo is being pushed to the limit...something is weird;

Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Do you think the turbo would have done better with manual?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:27 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
Do you think the turbo would have done better with manual?
The turbo would have done better with the LSD which is available only on a manual car. Also, fresh tires (esp R-comps) would help. I have to say the vid reminded me of a kid (997) running from a fat woman (GTR). The GTR looks simply massive by comparison

Old 01-14-2008, 03:45 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr J
The Nurburgring time, the Inside Line test and this ---> all point to a great accomplishment by Nissan considering the price point they are selling the car at.

I think this will be great for P-car fans because Porsche will be forced to increase the performance numbers of the 997 (maybe this will encourage them to give the Cayman some much needed hp too!)

Dr J -- who would love to see a Cayman Turbo and a 600 hp 997 TT (if Porsche can make a 500hp Cayenne Turbo --- then they should make these cars too).. and also thinks HeavyCHevy needs to take his fricken blinders off.

You are the one who's blind if you think that is an accurate representation of the both cars abilities. Put race seats in the turbo, get the manual, and tires with similar grip and do the test over again and let's see what happens.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:57 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Wonder why it gets so heated for some people to discuss the GT-R vs the 997TT. For one I think by this point we know the GT-R is under-rating it's HP. Secondly the car hasn't been released and we know there is bias in the testing/comparison phases at this point. This car has caused a lot of stir within the car community and I will bet money that it will win a Car of the Year award when released. It has been hyped too much not to win. It is the darling of the press world right now because it aims to try and unseat the 997TT. I do not recall the Z06 getting this much press and controversy. As many know Porsche is a very loyal brand and those who have owned them often stay with them. I do not think you can say that for Nissan loyalty.

Here is a simple test of branding. Given the same HP/Track Numbers/Ring Times/Etc. and pricing being the same or within 10K of each other - which brand would you buy?

To some on this board it would not replace the Turbo but if you can get one at 60-70K it would be a good second car. I for one would consider it.

Last edited by ALPINE_997; 01-14-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:10 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Im a buyer if they release a lighter version (the rumors are out there).

Old 01-14-2008, 04:15 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I think they will. Nissan has a tendency to try to capture market share early on and will release it in due time. They have talked about it already which means they will release it. Like the 350Z with 5 models and then the Nismo Editions - I am sure the GT-R will follow suit with additional releases.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Wonder why it gets so heated for some people to discuss the GT-R vs the 997TT. For one I think by this point we know the GT-R is under-rating it's HP. Secondly the car hasn't been released and we know there is bias in the testing/comparison phases at this point. This car has caused a lot of stir within the car community and I will bet money that it will win a Car of the Year award when released. It has been hyped too much not to win. It is the darling of the press world right now because it aims to try and unseat the 997TT. I do not recall the Z06 getting this much press and controversy. As many know Porsche is a very loyal brand and those who have owned them often stay with them. I do not think you can say that for Nissan loyalty.

Here is a simple test of branding. Given the same HP/Track Numbers/Ring Times/Etc. and pricing being the same or within 10K of each other - which brand would you buy?

To some on this board it would not replace the Turbo but if you can get one at 60-70K it would be a good second car. I for one would consider it.
I dont have a problem with the GT-R, it's the fanboys that I dont like, making more out of everything than should be. The guy ran a 104.1 (barely over two seconds slower) on shoddy tires in a Tiptronic. Put the manual (-1 sec maybe more) out there and some good tires (could be 2 seconds if they were the same rating as the GT-R's) and the cars are what I have always said they would be, EVEN.

But it's rediculous mess like this that peeves me. And people actually beleive the GT-R is over two seconds faster based on that garbage video. And somehow all the mysterious victories seem to follow the GT-R around. It's just all the over-hype that's aggravating. But like I always say, time WILL tell.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 PM
hatchback is infamous around these parts
I love Best Motoring and am strongly inclined to believe that the GT-R is a great car at an unbelievable price. That being said, I find this particular BM test a little ridiculous. The 997tt is clearly taking a horrible line around some of the corners even when the GT-R is in front, braking too late and turning too late so it cant get on the power when it should be. So either the driver doesn't know what they're doing (unlikely) or there's something wrong with the car, like the tires are worn out or the brakes need new pads. In past tests BM has saved its highest praise for the 997tt, favoring it over many other cars including Ferrari and Corvette, so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by hatchback; 01-14-2008 at 07:33 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gt-r R35 Vs 997 Turbo At Tsukuba Battle!