997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What Type Of Oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
What Type Of Oil?

My 997TT (3300 miles) needs a quart or two of oil. The "check engine oil" message came up in the HUD. I am down to the last bar on the gauge. I know that there is Mobil 1 synthetic in it but I am not sure of the viscocity, etc. What weight oil should I put in it just to top it off?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 PM
CondorCGT is infamous around these parts
Mobil 1 0-40W used in all Porsche's

Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Thanks! Just called the Auto Zone and they have it for $6.49 a quart. Take care.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM
CondorCGT is infamous around these parts
Anytime enjoy

Old 02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Barrister
My 997TT (3300 miles) needs a quart or two of oil. The "check engine oil" message came up in the HUD. I am down to the last bar on the gauge. I know that there is Mobil 1 synthetic in it but I am not sure of the viscocity, etc. What weight oil should I put in it just to top it off?

Thanks!
You can open the hood and find a big sticker that tells you what oil to use. I wonder what Mobil is paying Prosche to use Mobil 1 and attach the sticker? BTM, I believe each bar represents 500ml.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 02-07-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
lpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud oflpm 505 has much to be proud of
I have 3800 miles on my 997TT now, low engine oil light also came on around 3300 miles ( 3200 miles on my car ! ) and it needed a quart of oil on mine !

Old 02-06-2008, 05:28 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Barrister
Thanks! Just called the Auto Zone and they have it for $6.49 a quart. Take care.
Buy the whole case while you're at it. You'll need it.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:42 PM
QUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to beholdQUIK 911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You can open the hood and find a big sticker that tells you what oil to use. I wonder what Mobil is paying Prosche to use Mobil 1 and attache the sticker? BTM, I believe each bar represents 500ml.
Its gotta to be a big number. I heard that mobil 1 is not as good as it use to be since they changed the formula and took out the Zinc or something like that. I heard some people us Elf brand but it cost like over $8.00 per liter.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:04 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
You can open the hood and find a big sticker that tells you what oil to use. I wonder what Mobil is paying Prosche to use Mobil 1 and attache the sticker? BTM, I believe each bar represents 500ml.
Careful there partner. You may run the risk of over filling the sump if you consider each bar on the gauge to represent 500 ml. Best to read the manual first. As I recall it's closer to 200 ml. Since many of these cars consume some oil (mine included), it is a good practice to check the level each time you fill up with gas, and certainly after any hard driving. Probably a good idea to add a little oil at a time and check your gauge until you get the hang of it.

The change in Mobil 1 as well as other brands of oils was mandated by the environmental wacko's and is more of a concern for the air cooled engines rather than the water cooled cars.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:05 AM
After adding a quart it only filled the gauge up to half. I put in half of another quart and it went up one more bar. I then put in the rest of the second quart and it went to the top. Won't it blink if I overfill it? I was shocked it took so much oil.

What would happen if you "overfill the sump"? How would you know? I drove it after I put in the 2 quarts and it did not smoke or feel like anything was wrong.

Now I am paranoid . . .

Last edited by Barrister; 02-07-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
Careful there partner. You may run the risk of over filling the sump if you consider each bar on the gauge to represent 500 ml. Best to read the manual first. As I recall it's closer to 200 ml. Since many of these cars consume some oil (mine included), it is a good practice to check the level each time you fill up with gas, and certainly after any hard driving. Probably a good idea to add a little oil at a time and check your gauge until you get the hang of it.

The change in Mobil 1 as well as other brands of oils was mandated by the environmental wacko's and is more of a concern for the air cooled engines rather than the water cooled cars.
Maybe we have different manuals - mine says each bar is 500ml...what does yours say?

I too find it hard to believe that the first indication to Barrister that his oil was low was a warning light. It's nice to know the light works for those that don't check their oil level regularly.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
There are some serious oil threads going on at Rennlist and Pelican Parts right now. A retired 50 year veteran lubrication engineer says that even the reformulated 15w50 M1's are ok for the air cooled cars. I tend to believe him. As others mentioned the M1 0W40 is just fine for us. Other oils are Porsche approved as well, Motul 8100 5w40 comes to mind.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 AM
I too find it hard to believe that the first indication to Barrister that his oil was low was a warning light. It's nice to know the light works for those that don't check their oil level regularly.
I hear you. I am a bit embarrassed that it took a dummy light to let me know I needed oil. I will be checking it at every fill up from now on.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Alcyon has a spectacular aura aboutAlcyon has a spectacular aura about
Eclou, which oil uses with the TT on track? thanks a lot

Old 02-07-2008, 08:26 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I run the 0W40 in the 997tt. My other Porsches get 15W50. I figure the bearing loads and piston speeds on the 8000+ rpm Gt3's do just fine on the 0W40 and should be just fine on the 997tt as well. I don't think Porsche would recommend substandard oils in cars that they have to warranty

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What Type Of Oil?