997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by airflite1
And you don't go to car shows, track days, or on drives. For a real enthusiast that doesn't make sense.
Who says I don't?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Z07
Banned
Originally Posted by gtrmonkey
It a very pretty toad.
It's a fundamentally flawed weight distribution. No amount of engineering can mask that.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
911/Turbo ugly?!?!?!?!? Your crazy!

BTW something tells me you are clueless about being a "racer", maybe tokyo street drift racer but that's about it.

The GTR is anything but a racer, so what it turns decent lap times, its still 3800 lbs and humongous, Porsche doesn't have to be worried about anything, because they proved themselves time and time again, and have recurring customers and new ones by the millions, for the sheer fact that it's a drivers machine!

It doesn't have to have underrated hp by the load, or 650 n the turbo to keep up with competitors, it's not what PORSCHE brand is about, there so much more to a sports car then power!

The GT-R and Race Car are contradictary statements as the very things that make it fast make it fat. A race car version of it will have little to no resemblance of the street model and will have to be tube frame, look at the Japanese GT500 car, of course none of those cars look like their street car counterparts.

The one thing fanboys dont realize is that most people go to the track for the enjoyment of the sport and becoming a better driver, this is why Porsche, Chevy, Miata's and BMW's are so popular there because people want to feel like they have some control over why the car is fast and being in a 3800 lb car that does everything for , and you HAVE to buy different wheels to change the camber of end up killing the tires, AND, eat through tires and brakes at record speeds is unappealing for many people who enjoy the sport. The one thing Nissan forgot to add was driver involvlement and that's why Nissan will never have the track presence of Porsche and Chevy and even Dodge and BMW. Being a one lap wonder will make it a good time attack car, but beating the Corvettes will be no easy task.

Z07- The fundamental flaws you speak of have gotten the 911 more race wins in a few year period in MAJOR competition than the GT-R has even gotten in it's closed quarter racing and a trip to australia in it's lifetime.

Your simplified ignorant comments have no basis of fact or education behind them, you should try something else or only face making yourself look even worse than you already have.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 PM
mister_jkd is infamous around these parts
911/Turbo ugly?!?!?!?!? Your crazy!

BTW something tells me you are clueless about being a "racer", maybe tokyo street drift racer but that's about it.

The GTR is anything but a racer, so what it turns decent lap times, its still 3800 lbs and humongous, Porsche doesn't have to be worried about anything, because they proved themselves time and time again, and have recurring customers and new ones by the millions, for the sheer fact that it's a drivers machine!

It doesn't have to have underrated hp by the load, or 650 n the turbo to keep up with competitors, it's not what PORSCHE brand is about, there so much more to a sports car then power!

BTW, something tells me I struck a nerve with the snob crowd. Don't get all slobbery, and try not to take it so personal.

What does a race car DO but turn fast laps? Isn't that the ultimate definition of a race car? Seems it is you who needs a clue(s)?

Oh and GTR is a titanic 200# more than a 997tt

Blah blah blah drivers machine... That's what they said about traction control, abs, LAST MILLENIA. Get with the program. Welcome to Y2k and beyond. Or maybe you prefer Roman chariot racing. Now there's a real driver's rig for you. Why don't you clam up and stick to the original 930 turbo then? Now there's a REAL drivers car.

Also, I never said Porsche should be worried. But, clearly they were/are, and for good reason. If they were doing fine making such ******* Jack cars for "purists" race boy snobs why did they almost go bankrupt before they made their lesser racy automobiles (Boxster/Cayman-Cayenne- and soon Panarama) which pulled them from the brink of insolvency? You can't tell me it's all about "racing" now can you, given the SUV and sedan. Of course a Marque snob would say it's race inspired and all that jazz. But the simple fact of the matter is Porsche is a business, and it will do what it needs to inorder to survive. And egotists will do the same by spewing ad nauseum heritage, marketing hyperbole, and the kitchen sink while dismissing legitimate objective comparisons of the competition.

That said, if you had read my statement correctly, yes the 911 is a toad. What makes it lovely is that it's fast AND reliable. If it were as slow as it's VW type 1 cousin and broke every other hour it would be a one ugly POS. But it's heart is what wins you over. So you see, Ugly is relative, maybe not as fugly as your mother (j/k) hahha but compared to an Fcar you betcha!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:28 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Oh boy, another yuppie

Originally Posted by mister_jkd
BTW, something tells me I struck a nerve with the snob crowd. Don't get all slobbery, and try not to take it so personal.
Glad you revealed your true colors.

What does a race car DO but turn fast laps? Isn't that the ultimate definition of a race car? Seems it is you who needs a clue(s)?
A race car has to maintain tires and brakes and make it to the finish line first. And that's the simplified answer. You REALLY need a clue.

Oh and GTR is a titanic 200# more than a 997tt
Than a Tiptronic which is all people seem to want to test it against on the track when the manual is easily faster. Hmmmm. Go wonder.

Blah blah blah drivers machine... That's what they said about traction control, abs, LAST MILLENIA. Get with the program. Welcome to Y2k and beyond. Or maybe you prefer Roman chariot racing. Now there's a real driver's rig for you. Why don't you clam up and stick to the original 930 turbo then? Now there's a REAL drivers car. At the track it still remains that way clown. You still see the same old Porsche's and BMW's outnumbering the modern cars with all the gadgets. But of course you probably havent seen one so I wouldnt expect you to know.

Also, I never said Porsche should be worried. But, clearly they were/are, and for good reason. If they were doing fine making such ******* Jack cars for "purists" race boy snobs why did they almost go bankrupt before they made their lesser racy automobiles (Boxster/Cayman-Cayenne- and soon Panarama) which pulled them from the brink of insolvency? You can't tell me it's all about "racing" now can you, given the SUV and sedan. Of course a Marque snob would say it's race inspired and all that jazz. But the simple fact of the matter is Porsche is a business, and it will do what it needs to inorder to survive. And egotists will do the same by spewing ad nauseum heritage, marketing hyperbole, and the kitchen sink while dismissing legitimate objective comparisons of the competition. Snobs? You seem to have someting against cars you cant afford, and the people that can afford them. Little mans syndrome at it's best. Clearly Porsche is worried? Based on what? Nothing.......................

Just staying on track with the Turbo will see the GT-R in the dust in a short time when Porsche unveils it's DSG and then makes the Turbo S, Nissan will be comfortably in the reas view mirrors again. Porsche doesnt even need to break schedule.

That said, if you had read my statement correctly, yes the 911 is a toad. What makes it lovely is that it's fast AND reliable. If it were as slow as it's VW type 1 cousin and broke every other hour it would be a one ugly POS. But it's heart is what wins you over. So you see, Ugly is relative, maybe not as fugly as your mother (j/k) hahha but compared to an Fcar you betcha!
Comon man, if you are going to make childish insults, take it back to where you belong.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Z07
Banned
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Oh boy, another yuppie
That, from a Porsche driver.

It's like being called a murderer by Stalin.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Z07
That, from a Porsche driver.

It's like being called a murderer by Stalin.

I think he got his decades mixed up. That seems to be a recurring theme with those types.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:39 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Want to know why you are ignorant and want to be proven wrong right now with one car, the veyron, end of story. So its a race car right, that pulled a sick time around nurburgring right? Oh but you'll say its the power right? Guess what, I'll say its the gtr's underrated power too then.

Bottom line is, my reference of so its a race car because it makes decent lap times, went over your head. Having a race car in general does not have to be FAST, that's why there are 20 dofferet classes that racecars run in LOL , my point was the engineering and involvement in a gt3 , 993/964 rs's hell even standard carrera's are all for the driver itself, when you go to the track you see spec miatas and civics tearing it up, yet they have 200hp if that! I can get into this as a whole but busy and on my iPhone therefore my explanation is half assed and still puts your flawed theory in its place!

Btw stick to a 930? I think my GT2 fills that void and is as of more scary with the speed it carries out compared to it, I dont need psm/tc/sound deadening/back seats/sunroof/awd nothing, just be and a mechanical piece of art.

Last edited by iLLM3; 02-26-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:00 PM
gtrmonkey is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Z07
It's a fundamentally flawed weight distribution. No amount of engineering can mask that.

That is correct to a certian extend. Personally I think the cayman with awd and turbo would godly awsome and that Porsche should go into the cayman as the new Carrera. There is a reason why the cayman did not come with lsd and that because it would be to close to the carrera. But as most would say that killing the breed of 911, and they would never do that because that would kill the client base. There probably right. But wouldn't it be wonderful to AWD Cayman with Turbos and add dual clutch system. That would probably beat the gtr. Ohh well, I guess I can just dream about it

Old 02-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Heavychevy,

How you can avoid the simple: race car=fast lap, as a working definition exemplifies your stupidity. You can try to hide, but everyone can see your insecurity. I dare not tax your mighty brain any further.

On a personal level, why on earth would you try and label me having small man syndrome is funny because that attribute is exactly what you display continuously. Cowards can't objectively defend themselves so they resort to tactics like yours. Excuses and beating around the bush is all we hear from you. The GTR was clocked on video around the ring, and tested by TRUSTED automotive publications. So who do we trust, an annonymous wanna be racer boy like you or multi-million dollar organizations who's very existence depends on objective purity?

Furthermore, since you can't hold a thought for more than 2 posts, as I said before I love the 997tt, and am currently contemplating purchasing one. I have nothing against Porsche cars, in fact I currently own 2. So you see you don't know diddley. For sure, I have nothing against Porsche. What I do have something against are snobs and elitists, because they are ignorant, and hold themselves in some high esteem which is baseless...like most of your statements.

Lastly, I make a decent living, and trade weekly/daily in $100-200k lots. I'd love to meet you on the other side of the trade some day. The market needs more people like you.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
gtrmonkey is infamous around these parts
You want to give me a job?

Old 02-26-2008, 03:32 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
I hope you weren't trying to classify or imply me as being a snob/elitist, FYI I own a nismo g35 longer then any other car I have had, went through the whole vq modding since 03 !

It is my preference and my opinion albeit out of the cars I have had, that the gtr Is a great feat to go fast with little involvement from the driver, which is also true but also that it just isn't for me and what I look for in a supercar/fun sports car. I'm sure you can agree. I hate awd, I hate obese cars and especially sports cars and tons of other gripes. The gtr isn't the only one I dislike so dont take it as singling the ugly duckling out

I'm an enthusiast as a whole, dont get it twisted.

Last edited by iLLM3; 02-26-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Z07
Banned
Originally Posted by gtrmonkey
That is correct to a certian extend. Personally I think the cayman with awd and turbo would godly awsome and that Porsche should go into the cayman as the new Carrera. There is a reason why the cayman did not come with lsd and that because it would be to close to the carrera. But as most would say that killing the breed of 911, and they would never do that because that would kill the client base. There probably right. But wouldn't it be wonderful to AWD Cayman with Turbos and add dual clutch system. That would probably beat the gtr. Ohh well, I guess I can just dream about it
The Cayman S is better than the 911 period. Instead of embracing this truth, Porsche choose to suppress it.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Common man, I know very well the ATTRIBUTES of a race car. I race them. It's a total package. Weight is your enemy because you have to brake it, heard it through the corners, and accelerate it again, continuously. Yeah no ****. I think even non racers know that much. The point was and continues to be -- Some snobs here dismiss the GTR ENTIRELY as a NON-competitor to 997tt, and that is simply not the case for any rational adult with sound judgement. Obviously there are a few bad apples here.

This is my last post on this because it's clear bigotry thrives here. I suppose I've met worse. Such is life.

Want to know why you are ignorant and want to be proven wrong right now with one car, the veyron, end of story. So its a race car right, that pulled a sick time around nurburgring right? Oh but you'll say its the power right? Guess what, I'll say its the gtr's underrated power too then.

Bottom line is, my reference of so its a race car because it makes decent lap times, went over your head. Having a race car in general does not have to be FAST, that's why there are 20 dofferet classes that racecars run in LOL , my point was the engineering and involvement in a gt3 , 993/964 rs's hell even standard carrera's are all for the driver itself, when you go to the track you see spec miatas and civics tearing it up, yet they have 200hp if that! I can get into this as a whole but busy and on my iPhone therefore my explanation is half assed and still puts your flawed theory in its place!

Btw stick to a 930? I think my GT2 fills that void and is as of more scary with the speed it carries out compared to it, I dont need psm/tc/sound deadening/back seats/sunroof/awd nothing, just be and a mechanical piece of art.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
I AM A SNOB... MARTIN..and u know you are too.. MR RUFf.. LOL.. I am a snob as i own BOTH THE TURBO AND THE GTR.. and yeah I LOVE THEM BOTH...

And just to let you know even though the TURBO S is coming so is the GT-R EVO edition.. Needless to say..

BOTH ARE GREAT CARS... ONE IS CHEAPEr... to each their own..

as for us SNOBS.. we will just own both... hell might even use the Cayenne to pull the GTR.. LOL

Z07 dude..

after reading your posts i think you really dont know much about either.. I have owned a z06 and i currently own 3 GT-Rs and have had two Turbos and currently have a turbo... If you think a porsche is rip off then go buy a Honda hatch..drop in a 2.2l and call it a day.. save you about 80k compared to a GTR...and u get the feeling of driving a HONDA....

Fact is if you put a GT-R and a Turbo next to each other..and offer someone their choice for free. THEY TAKING THE TURBO... Unless maybe its a R34 GTR and your state side... but seriously anywhere else in the world INCLUDING THE UK .. its TURBO..

Last edited by Me_qwkr; 02-26-2008 at 04:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR