997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:11 PM
cdaniels is infamous around these parts
Why can't we all just get along?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cdaniels
Why can't we all just get along?
did I come across as advisarial, sorry. I really want to see if we can get this back on topic without Z07 attacking people. I thought stradaONE8 would actually want to discuss this. I came to this tread for the same reason he did as I have to others. As I said Z07 has ruined every tread on this topic so lets get this one going with some good input.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by airflite1
did I come across as advisarial, sorry. I really want to see if we can get this back on topic without Z07 attacking people. I thought stradaONE8 would actually want to discuss this. I came to this tread for the same reason he did as I have to others. As I said Z07 has ruined every tread on this topic so lets get this one going with some good input.
+1

Old 02-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Back to the Topic...

So here are reviews saying that GTR is a monster. Yes, these are people who have driven the GTR, which to me say a lot.

Car Magazine
Part 1 http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Video/S...bo---part-one/

Part 2 http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Video/S...nd-Rockingham/

AutoCar
http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...AR=231443&CT=V

Evo
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...issan_gtr.html

Top Gear
http://www.topgear.com/content/timet...r/awards07/12/

Edmunds
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

MotorTrend
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...09_nissan_gt_r

Automobile
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...t_r/index.html

AutoWeek
http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../71017001/1065

FifthGear
http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain....ion=On%20Track

Do people really believe all the tests above are biased? Bad driver? Not fair because of weather? I don't get the logic of people who still doubt the performance of GTR. I say good for Nissan for making a great car. I give credit where credit is due.

Last edited by Akira; 02-27-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:12 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
I was tying to get a quote from old guy over from the GT3 forum. It relates to my feelings. The horsepower of the GT-R is impressive but it weighs almost 4000 lbs. I used to have a S2000 that I still miss. I didn't buy an EVO or STI because of the weight and styling. And I agree with OldGuy that the GT-R will be more comparable with a fast EVO, STI than a Porsche or modded S2000.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:13 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I don't think anyone here doubts the performance of the GTR. It just seems like nonsense when some people come to this forum and try to convince a bunch of Porsche owners and enthusiasts that a GTR is a better car. Kinda of stupid if you ask me.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I went through the same thing when I bought my Honda. Even the salesman (It was a Honda Nissan dealer) didn't want to sell me the S2000, and was determined to sell me a 350Z. He just didn't understand I'ld rather have a much lighter car with the high reving motor. All he could do was quote performance numbers. Some people just don't understand the fun to drive factor. I ended up going to another dealer.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Me_qwkr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Z07
Big deal. They were top speed records. The R32-34 GTRs are draggy as hell. Let's see your POS 911s do 0-300kph in 12.4s, and 8-second quarters on street tyres and pull 7-second quarters at 300km/h on slicks. Any 911s reach 207mph in half a mile on street tyres?
AND HERE I GO..

To begin with the BLITZ R34 HELD THE NUR RING RECORD TILL THE TECH ART BLEW IT OUT OF THE WATER.. NEXT i DO OWN a 9.1 sec 1/4 R32 with a top speed of about 220MPH.. THATS MY SHOW CAR.. my WHITE R32 is built much more intense and if i had to ruff estimate it runs about a 8.5 in the 1/4 and top speed of about 200 as well.. Then I have my 3rd R33 thats just to bloody quick and is a top end car with a top speed of WE THINK 240 maybe 250.. Not dumb enough to find out...

Now onto my knowledge of the NISSAN GTR.. I lived in japan for over 6 months back in 03. Where i was lucky enough to learn about the internals and externals of an RB and everything to go along with the GT-R.. I have first hand knowledge from Mad Kida to the HEAD GTR TUNER of HKS.. To the point of where the head GTR tuner of HKS tuned one of my R32s. Also I am good friends with the president of Do-Luck japan. and as a personal favor he did the custom work to the head of my GTR and gave my car sponsorship and oh got me Enkei sponsorship as well.. My car was a FEATURE CAR AT SEMA a few years back...

NOW SINCE YOU HOLD THE GTR IN SUCH HIGH REGARDS LETS TALK ABOUT ALL THE PROBLEMS A GTR REALLY HAS.

1. 6th cylinder runs WAY TO HOT AND RICH... to fix this problem one must do the following. 1. change the Intake Manifold to something other than the 800 dollar greddy one/ or customize the greddy one.. 2. Tab the back of the head to create more oil flow.

2. 3rd gear.. anything over 500hp.. well you better shift like a baby..
2.5 the GETRAG.. IS POINTLESS AFTER 700 hp..

3. COOLING overall.. THE GTR HAS A MASSIVE COOLING ISSUE. One must replace the radiator, the fan, and do a few things in order to keep the engine from over heating. Also the water pump unless an N1 can be tossed in the trash..

4. Oil delivery. The FACTORY OIL PUMP SUCKS... the FACTORY OIL PAN SUCKS.. THE FACTORY OIL EVERYTHING SUCKS.. One must spend about 1k on a new oil pump and then about another 600 on oil pan say the greddy extension to make the dam thing not explode on heavy cornering.

5. the crankshaft on the R32.. TOSS IT OUT THE DAM WINDOW... PLAIN AND SIMPLE

6. THE HICAS SYSTEM.. just takes up space and has no REAL use.

7. The ENTIRE BOTTOM END BUT CRANK.. must be replaced after 600hp..

8. Ignition Chip... Just replace the dam thing every 10k miles.. I keep about 3 on hand at all times.

9. Coilpack.. unless you use SPLIT FIRE.. call infiniti up for the old Q45 coils.. They have a tendency to arc.

10. ALL THE GAUGES... You think your temp is normal.. then it spikes.. Kind of sucks when you in the middle of no where.

Thats just off the top of my head I am sure I can think of at least 10 more thinks that must be replaced to make a truely reliable GTR. And the last time i checked to get to about 650hp on a turbo.. NONE of those items mentioned above must be replaced.. GO FIGURE.

As far as other knowledge.. I LITERALLY OWN EVERY DAM PIECE OF LITERATURE ON THE GTR.. From I LOVE GTR to EVERY HYPER REV BOOK.. TO ALL 3 Owner manuals.. I even have the shop manuals from NISSAN IN ENGLISH. I have built about 5 GT-Rs now and to be honest LOVE THEM TO DEATH..

But at the end of the day if i HAD to choose a GTR or a TURBO.. I will ALWAYS TAKE A TURBO..

Z07 JUST TO LET YOU KNOW... Just cause I realize Porsche has much more notable history over Nissan doesnt mean i live in the past...

Old 02-27-2008, 10:29 PM
JT3
JT3 is infamous around these partsJT3 is infamous around these parts
What was this thread about again? Ahhh, ok, just read Akira's post.

Strada, out of curiousity what car is your weapon of choice?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:42 PM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Sorry, I'm back, just got home from the library a while ago...and really glad that this got back in the right direction.

To be honest, one of the reason I never posted is because I am far too young (in my opinion), 22, to be even considering these cars as more than research or a fuel for my desire for knowledge and thus never felt quite right amongst all the richer and older enthusiasts (although I can say every one I have met personally I have had a great relationship with, I guess my fear if you will is unfounded in that sense).

A little bit about me without getting too off topic...
I am a 22 year old medical student, hoping to go into surgery, specifically robotic surgery. I'm working with Dr. Vipul Patel, renown robotic surgeon and second in the world in terms of procedures performed to hopefully get there myself. It carries lots and lots of potential to help people will less mess afterwards, I can elaborate if people ask (but its a lot like playing a video game, well except for the reset that is).
That being said, this means 2 things,
1) I am entirely too busy to devote the time I wish I could to cars and my passion for them. So it pisses me off when I try to learn and instead see a bunch of older gentlemen acting like children and hindering it. (OK yeah, I'm cranky, but when you're cooped up as much as I am hunched over books, it would happen to you)
2) I am far too poor thanks to said medical school and I drive, wait for it, a 1996 Honda Accord. But the caveat being, I am buying a new car this spring, hopefully a 2004 or 2005 G35 (I have considered the s2000, one of my absolutely favorite cars from when I was younger but it seems far too impractical as a daily/everyday car. Also I considered a 350 much like you waffle, but I don't know how I really feel about that back end of that thing or the lack of 2 seats.)
3) I have been into cars since before I think cars were cool for someone my age to like. I never went through a fast and furious phase, I have always tried to learn about them and their history and appreciate what they stand for instead of the absurdity of the adolescent car culture of today. I read Road & Track like a bible from a young age along with everything else I could find and I like to consider myself well informed, but always learning. It is a passion that I think like most of us will carry through our lives regardless of what pays the bills.
4) Although I have not had much experience in the sense of owning fancy automobiles, thanks to switchcars, a very very very good personal friend of mine, I have had the luxury of driving Ferrari's, Porsches, and etc and experiencing things I only dreamed of a few years ago. But I do not consider myself an expert in that sense by any means (Gimme a few years right??)

As for getting back to the topic,

Airflite, I wish I had a GT-R, but as you can see, Honda Accord = not so much. But I am glad to say, I will be playing with an Audi R8 and GT-R over the summer. And I will post pictures gladly now that I am a member and give my fully amateur opinion.

To waffle, you'll have to be more specific with that question. If it is what I drive, see above, if it is what I admire and why...gimme 10 pages, Ill write you an essay. But seriously I would love to discuss...its the only thing that keeps me sane among 17 hour days of studying and clinic hours.

To GotBoost, kinda random but I gotta say it, I think you're 997 is absolutely gorgeous. I am a big fan of that particular color scheme. The subtlety (or lack their of) of the yellow on black is something I would do to my car.

As for this topic, I will say this. I think the 997TT is honestly beat, the GT3 I will wait to see some more reviews. I have experienced the full might of a 997 GT3 (I can post many pictures) and I absolutely ADORE that particular P-car. I think it is absolutely stunning and a piece of mechanical brilliance. But I think it's fine that it happened. The 997 will be replaced and I'm sure it will be a far cry above the GT-R and then the cycle will continue and make me endlessly happy that we live in such times...

So there we go, I'm heading to bed, cause according to some medical book I read, sleep is necessary for functioning...and I, my friends, get far too little of it...

Last edited by stradaONE8; 02-27-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:24 AM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Me_qwkr
AND HERE I GO..

To begin with the BLITZ R34 HELD THE NUR RING RECORD TILL THE TECH ART BLEW IT OUT OF THE WATER..
No. The Blitz SUPRA held the Nurburgring record at 7m21s since 1997 until the last few years or something.
http://www.bdlhome.com/fastcars/autocar2.html

Please stop talking. Your lack of knowledge is disgracing the forum.

NEXT i DO OWN a 9.1 sec 1/4 R32 with a top speed of about 220MPH..
Yesterday's news. 8-seconds on street tyres and 7-seconds on slicks is where the game is at now.

THATS MY SHOW CAR.. my WHITE R32 is built much more intense and if i had to ruff estimate it runs about a 8.5 in the 1/4 and top speed of about 200 as well..
An estimate? Either it's done it or it hasn't.

Then I have my 3rd R33 thats just to bloody quick and is a top end car with a top speed of WE THINK 240 maybe 250.. Not dumb enough to find out...
Congratulations. That would be a world record but I'm guessing you have nothing official again.

Now onto my knowledge of the NISSAN GTR.. I lived in japan for over 6 months back in 03. Where i was lucky enough to learn about the internals and externals of an RB and everything to go along with the GT-R.. I have first hand knowledge from Mad Kida to the HEAD GTR TUNER of HKS.. To the point of where the head GTR tuner of HKS tuned one of my R32s. Also I am good friends with the president of Do-Luck japan. and as a personal favor he did the custom work to the head of my GTR and gave my car sponsorship and oh got me Enkei sponsorship as well.. My car was a FEATURE CAR AT SEMA a few years back...
I was friends with God for a few years. He gave me the power to hit anyone, anywhere with lightning bolts. Where are you right now?

1. 6th cylinder runs WAY TO HOT AND RICH... to fix this problem one must do the following. 1. change the Intake Manifold to something other than the 800 dollar greddy one/ or customize the greddy one.. 2. Tab the back of the head to create more oil flow.
No. 6th cylinder runs LEAN because it gets more air. Please shut-up, you're embarassing yourself.

http://tyndago.googlepages.com/advancedgt-rnotes

2. 3rd gear.. anything over 500hp.. well you better shift like a baby..
2.5 the GETRAG.. IS POINTLESS AFTER 700 hp..
The ZF 5-speed is fairly weak but the 6sp Getrag is good for 800bhp, maybe more. Just ask the supra gents.

3. COOLING overall.. THE GTR HAS A MASSIVE COOLING ISSUE. One must replace the radiator, the fan, and do a few things in order to keep the engine from over heating. Also the water pump unless an N1 can be tossed in the trash..
Depends what power you're running.

4. Oil delivery. The FACTORY OIL PUMP SUCKS... the FACTORY OIL PAN SUCKS.. THE FACTORY OIL EVERYTHING SUCKS.. One must spend about 1k on a new oil pump and then about another 600 on oil pan say the greddy extension to make the dam thing not explode on heavy cornering.
A baffled sump is a simpler solution at lower power levels. This stops the oil rushing to one side.

5. the crankshaft on the R32.. TOSS IT OUT THE DAM WINDOW... PLAIN AND SIMPLE
A problem? Yes. But not as big a problem as most think. Over-revving causes the problems in the main, not power.

6. THE HICAS SYSTEM.. just takes up space and has no REAL use.
True. Easy weight saving. Mine is gone, along with the pump.

7. The ENTIRE BOTTOM END BUT CRANK.. must be replaced after 600hp..
Yeap but 600bhp is a fair bit for a 2.6.

8. Ignition Chip... Just replace the dam thing every 10k miles.. I keep about 3 on hand at all times.
Not had any problems after 40k miles. AFMs are the main issue.

9. Coilpack.. unless you use SPLIT FIRE.. call infiniti up for the old Q45 coils.. They have a tendency to arc.
40k miles. No issues.

10. ALL THE GAUGES... You think your temp is normal.. then it spikes.. Kind of sucks when you in the middle of no where.
No issues personally.

Thats just off the top of my head I am sure I can think of at least 10 more thinks that must be replaced to make a truely reliable GTR. And the last time i checked to get to about 650hp on a turbo.. NONE of those items mentioned above must be replaced.. GO FIGURE.
It's a 3.6. The new GTR is a 3.8.

As far as other knowledge.. I LITERALLY OWN EVERY DAM PIECE OF LITERATURE ON THE GTR.. From I LOVE GTR to EVERY HYPER REV BOOK.. TO ALL 3 Owner manuals.. I even have the shop manuals from NISSAN IN ENGLISH. I have built about 5 GT-Rs now and to be honest LOVE THEM TO DEATH..
Yet you get so much wrong

But at the end of the day if i HAD to choose a GTR or a TURBO.. I will ALWAYS TAKE A TURBO..

Z07 JUST TO LET YOU KNOW... Just cause I realize Porsche has much more notable history over Nissan doesnt mean i live in the past...
Fail. Never waste my time with your incompetence again.

And not one mention of the brakes anywhere.

Last edited by Z07; 02-28-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:49 AM
gtrmonkey is infamous around these parts
Wow^^^^^^(UMMM) Back to the Current GTR.

Does anyone esle find it odd that LHD verison of the GTR more Balance than the RHD Verison?

Old 02-28-2008, 06:25 AM
StradaONE8, good post and wecome!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:37 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
strada, there are a lot of doctors and surgeons on the boards. If you really are in medical school, stay off these boards. You are wasting time here. Also, pick a field to get into, not a technique. Techniques are not the end goal, since they change with time. Also, if trends remain the same in 10+ years when you get out into practice I would not be too optimistic about being able to delve into high end cars - especially in general surgery.

Last edited by eclou; 02-28-2008 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:30 AM
br d is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
I knew this was coming. You can never disagree with someone without the witch hunt.
Oh hush yourself Strad! You couldn't wait to get enmeshed!

brad

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR