997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:21 AM
cdaniels is infamous around these parts
I was being facetious....I'm with you Bro......

Originally Posted by airflite1
did I come across as advisarial, sorry. I really want to see if we can get this back on topic without Z07 attacking people. I thought stradaONE8 would actually want to discuss this. I came to this tread for the same reason he did as I have to others. As I said Z07 has ruined every tread on this topic so lets get this one going with some good input.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by eclou
strada, there are a lot of doctors and surgeons on the boards. If you really are in medical school, stay off these boards. You are wasting time here. Also, pick a field to get into, not a technique. Techniques are not the end goal, since they change with time. Also, if trends remain the same in 10+ years when you get out into practice I would not be too optimistic about being able to delve into high end cars - especially in general surgery.
Yes, I realize my time is better spent in the book which is why I never bothered to register. But everyone needs a break and I tend to use cars as that, I'm realizing more and more that I will have less and less time.
Eclou are you also a physician and if so what is your specialty? I am always looking for more perspective...

As for the techniques, don't worry. I'm not nearly far enough in my medical career to be worried about that. I am doing research with Dr. Patel (who you can Google, or if you need a prostatectomy with no damage to the nerves that matter, robotics is an amazing advance in that particular area) in his area while shadowing his work.
I should have also mentioned, I have done most of my undergraduate research (and even some before) in the field of cancer (with Dr. Michael Caligiuri, a great man and wonderful mentor, despite his increasingly impressive status in the medical world, again Google if you care).
My current project for the summer may have quite an impact on treatment methods for those with metastatic pancreatic cancer. But this is discussion for another place and time.

Finally I realize that the medical field is no longer a lucrative place to be, especially with the trends towards socializing medicine and managed care under the HMO regimes.
I realize this all may be a pipe dream of fancy cars, so my goal isn't to have a fleet, I feel I may have gone into the wrong field for that. I do hope however to have one that I truly cherish. That being said, I am friends with certain people that I hold dear to my heart, but also have access to the toys I wish I did, so that works out (no, I didn't become friends after the fact, instead long before, things just worked out).

In fact, this post is during a break, I must get back to my not so entertaining life...but for the GT-R discussion, z07 let it go.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 02-28-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 AM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
Strada don't overlook the S2000 because it's impractical. With my work I leave in the spring and don't return until late fall. With a little creativity I was able to pack everthing I needed for the summer. In fact way to many years ago I would go to Texas to work on planes over the winter and along with all my personel effects, I was able to also load my toolbox in a Fiat X19. Also the Honda is unbelievably reliable and the fuel mileage wasn't to bad if you can keep it out of VTEC. Since you have acess to exotics, it's an affordable car that will put one heck of a smile on your face.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 AM
stradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the roughstradaONE8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by airflite1
Strada don't overlook the S2000 because it's impractical. With my work I leave in the spring and don't return until late fall. With a little creativity I was able to pack everthing I needed for the summer. In fact way to many years ago I would go to Texas to work on planes over the winter and along with all my personel effects, I was able to also load my toolbox in a Fiat X19. Also the Honda is unbelievably reliable and the fuel mileage wasn't to bad if you can keep it out of VTEC. Since you have acess to exotics, it's an affordable car that will put one heck of a smile on your face.
Damn it, I'm not supposed to be doing this. elcou was right...haha. I'm in a relatively boring meeting so its ok.

Don't get me wrong, among the choices of a G35, S2000, or 350Z, I would pick the S every time. I have driven many and I absolutely LOVE the thing.
My issue is that
1) Lack for 2 extra seats could be a problem at times when I have more than a friend wanting to get somewhere.
2) Lack of trunk space and space in general is a problem, although I'm not married so the wife and kids issue is not pertinent at this time.
3) While Ohio has relatively mild winters, this car is a handful without snow tires. But still I know a ton of owners and some have expressed that with the proper equipment it will do just fine, but not be as confident as I guess I would want. That being said, roads are plowed quickly so I don't know...stop yanking me back to the S2000 way! Im trying to drop that addiction damn you...

Old 02-28-2008, 09:38 AM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
Go for it Now! When you have a significant other and kids you'll go through a period where your car of choice will be an SUV because you refuse to drive a Mini Van.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 AM
mister_jkd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Lets take a poll from some racers and let them judge if they think that someone who uses this dialect in reffering to racing actually races cars.

brake it? heard it through corners? this is too good. but you can still school us on what a race car is.

And no I'm not talking about street racing.

That lingo was for laymen like you, macho men snobs with poor reading comprehension who can't remember discussion topics. I wouldn't brave exploding your brain with engineering terminology.

Har Har, your laughing icons aren't funny. The jokes on you. I am very glad others can see through your little big-man P-car racer costume. Your insecurity grows more obvious with each rebuttal. You can't fool everyone. There are some astute members here, and anyone who's been around, knows that the loudest usually have the least --in knowledge and in money.

Flame on with your last word retort. You've been pegged.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Well we did try to get this going in a positive direction!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM
81911 is infamous around these parts
In for Z07 ban?

Old 02-28-2008, 01:57 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mister_jkd

That lingo was for laymen like you, macho men snobs with poor reading comprehension who can't remember discussion topics. I wouldn't brave exploding your brain with engineering terminology.

Har Har, your laughing icons aren't funny. The jokes on you. I am very glad others can see through your little big-man P-car racer costume. Your insecurity grows more obvious with each rebuttal. You can't fool everyone. There are some astute members here, and anyone who's been around, knows that the loudest usually have the least --in knowledge and in money.

Flame on with your last word retort. You've been pegged.
HAHAHAH, so now it's my fault you dont know what you're talking about?

Insecure? Because of magazine racing between cars that neither one of us own. You've just gotten called on your lack of automotive performance knowledge and are coming up with whatever you can to try and save face.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!

I run a forum of my own that entails everything from Porsches to LP640's to NSX's and one person waiting on a GT-R. So your lame attempt at trying to make me a snob bad guy has failed. You have nothing to back that up.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
HAHAHAH, so now it's my fault you dont know what you're talking about?

Insecure? Because of magazine racing between cars that neither one of us own. You've just gotten called on your lack of automotive performance knowledge and are coming up with whatever you can to try and save face.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!

I run a forum of my own that entails everything from Porsches to LP640's to NSX's and one person waiting on a GT-R. So your lame attempt at trying to make me a snob bad guy has failed. You have nothing to back that up.
If only my 5-point palm exploding heart technique worked on-line.

Heavychevy, the only test you'd be happy with is one that you could fix so that the Porsche would win. This would involved removing 3rd gear from the GTR and letting the tyres down as a minimum.

No test would ever be good enough for you. Do you think the magazines so far have been biased? Evo, CAR and Autocar have done nothing but lick Porsche's **** for the last decade or so. Until now that is. How you can accuse such magazines as anti-Porsche is staggering. For years they've lavished praise on the TT as the fastest point-to-point or A to B car but I guess Nissan must have had more money to bribe them with than Porsche did, huh?

Old 02-28-2008, 05:08 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Thanks Controllit!

Last edited by heavychevy; 02-28-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Z07
Lotto ***** maybe.
you're banned for life.

thanks for playing.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:26 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
Finally, thanks for saving the rest of us. This was like a wreck, it was bad enough that you couldn't help but come in and take a look, but once you looked you really didn't care for what you saw. Let's get back to the cars.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Blazing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by controlit.
you're banned for life.

thanks for playing.
OUCH

Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Blazing that vantage is teh sweetness.

At least I think thats a vantage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR