997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Hernando is infamous around these parts
This video was BS. Both are great cars. I would like to see them driven properly. The guy might be a great driver but he gave an edge to the GTR.

1. He kept drifting the TT and I know it's not that tail happy, he was doing it on purpose. He would slide around every single turn losing time. Had he made proper turns then the outcome would have been totally different.
2. The GTR was driven the following day, and if you notice it is a clear sunny day. I am sure that the track was dryer than it was the previous day. Not to mention the fact that he actually drove the GTR properly without drifting it.

This needs to be redone properly.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Philly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the rough
So, the GTR is faster. Who cares! We should all be very happy with our cars...it's a Porsche!!! Enough said and enough read!!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:37 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Fair's fair and this looks to me as close to a legitimate "kill" as we're going to get.

Take things at face value:
  1. GT-R was brand new, 100% stock, probably not even broken in yet;
  2. Porsche UK knew the test was going to happen, so they would likely have made sure that the Turbo was in the best possible condition for the test;
  3. Driver doesn't have any reason to favor one car over the other (unlike what may be the case with Best Motoring);
  4. Driver would be more careful with the GT-R because it was a private car, and he would look an absolute jerk if he crashed the first GT-R in the UK (crashing a car loaned by a manufacturer is not good either, but its not quite as bad, as that sh*t happens and the manufacturers know it and are prepared to accept that once in a while);
  5. Track conditions were no better for the GT-R and maybe even worse
Would laying down rubber in that way to dry a wet track actually make the track stickier afterwards? I find it hard to imagine that a few laps burning rubber in the M3 as they did would give an advantage to whatever car followed afterwards... Anyone know for sure?

In my mind, this leaves the Sport Auto Supertest as the next and maybe biggest test of the GT-R. Let's hope they're impartial and don't favor the Porsche, simply because they're Germans...

I really really wanted the Turbo to beat the GT-R... but the simplest explanation is usually the best one. The Nissan is faster* than the Porsche.

*"faster" doesn't necessarily mean "better"

Old 02-20-2008, 09:40 AM
ActionJaxon is infamous around these parts
That result was no surprise.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
TheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of light
I dont think he was showboating in the 911. Because of the AWD and the fact that there is barely any weight in the front, the 911 tends to understeer at the limit, which is only corrected by giving it a little more gas than normal.
The GTR on the other hand remained completely neutral through the turns, and im sure could post an even better time.

You also have to remember that the 911 was a fully prepped Porsche delivered vehicle, whereas the GTR just came off the boat yesterday. The GTRs engine, brakes, and even tires have not properly been broken in. The driver was also nervous and driving carefully because the GTR is privately owned and he didn't want to push it too hard. Just face the fact that the GTR was clearly the superior vehicle on that track.

and whats all this BS about" oh a 997GT2 could have beat it!"? If we are only talking about competition price-wise, why not compare it to a standard 997 Carrera, instead of something 3 times the GTRs MSRP.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 AM
TheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of lightTheBlueBlur is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Hernando
This video was BS. Both are great cars. I would like to see them driven properly. The guy might be a great driver but he gave an edge to the GTR.

1. He kept drifting the TT and I know it's not that tail happy, he was doing it on purpose. He would slide around every single turn losing time. Had he made proper turns then the outcome would have been totally different.
2. The GTR was driven the following day, and if you notice it is a clear sunny day. I am sure that the track was dryer than it was the previous day. Not to mention the fact that he actually drove the GTR properly without drifting it.

This needs to be redone properly.
The GTR was driven the same day, after the rain fell and the sky had cleared. The track was still moist.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
A track which has not had alot of traffic on it or has been washed by rain is considered a "green track" - even when dry it won't be as sticky as a track that has had some rubber deposited on it. The laps driven with the M3 clearly left all kinds of rubber on the track. This is almost the same as when drag racers do burn outs out the water box to leave sticky rubber in the hole.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:39 AM
turbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura aboutturbodickie has a spectacular aura about
It is still a Jap car no matter how fast it may or may not be. It has to be fast because it is butt ugly!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:50 AM
EvilRiva is infamous around these partsEvilRiva is infamous around these partsEvilRiva is infamous around these partsEvilRiva is infamous around these partsEvilRiva is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by turbodickie
Jap car
Whoa, Racist much?

Old 02-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by hesperus
Fair's fair and this looks to me as close to a legitimate "kill" as we're going to get.

Take things at face value:
  1. GT-R was brand new, 100% stock, probably not even broken in yet;
  2. Porsche UK knew the test was going to happen, so they would likely have made sure that the Turbo was in the best possible condition for the test;
  3. Driver doesn't have any reason to favor one car over the other (unlike what may be the case with Best Motoring);
  4. Driver would be more careful with the GT-R because it was a private car, and he would look an absolute jerk if he crashed the first GT-R in the UK (crashing a car loaned by a manufacturer is not good either, but its not quite as bad, as that sh*t happens and the manufacturers know it and are prepared to accept that once in a while);
  5. Track conditions were no better for the GT-R and maybe even worse
Would laying down rubber in that way to dry a wet track actually make the track stickier afterwards? I find it hard to imagine that a few laps burning rubber in the M3 as they did would give an advantage to whatever car followed afterwards... Anyone know for sure?

In my mind, this leaves the Sport Auto Supertest as the next and maybe biggest test of the GT-R. Let's hope they're impartial and don't favor the Porsche, simply because they're Germans...

I really really wanted the Turbo to beat the GT-R... but the simplest explanation is usually the best one. The Nissan is faster* than the Porsche.

*"faster" doesn't necessarily mean "better"

You are 100% correct. It is time to stop making excuses for Turbo and admit that GTR is faster car. But don't worry, I am sure next refresh of 911 Turbo will bring it back to the top. And I doubt the average driver will notice any performance difference between the two cars anyways. Both are very fast cars.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
The GTR is half the price. It's funny we're even having this argument. The GTR should really be competing with the janitor car from this video.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:10 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Got to give it to the GTR, but if your really on a budget and want an ugly AWD car you can get no problem w/o markup...Evo IX MR + $20k in mods and would put the smack down on both

Old 02-20-2008, 03:17 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TheBlueBlur
You also have to remember that the 911 was a fully STOCK Porsche delivered vehicle, whereas the GTR just came off the boat yesterday. The GTRs engine, brakes, and even tires have not properly been broken in. The driver was also nervous and driving carefully because the GTR is privately owned and he didn't want to push it too hard. Just face the fact that the GTR was clearly the superior vehicle on that track.

^^^^^^^^^^

Corrected, you act as if they did something extra to the car?

A car delivered from Porsche still cant drive itself. That was terrible driving to call himself trying to get agood lap time.

Not to mention he ran 3 1:24's which were supposed to be hard driven laps then took more than a whole second off on the last lap.

Wreaks of propaganda.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gmoney
Got to give it to the GTR, but if your really on a budget and want an ugly AWD car you can get no problem w/o markup...Evo IX MR + $20k in mods and would put the smack down on both
We're discussing factory cars though.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:14 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbodickie
It is still a Jap car no matter how fast it may or may not be. It has to be fast because it is butt ugly!

Jap car? Nice attitude.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR