997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Where is the stig in a gt3 when you need him?

Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Texas911 is infamous around these parts
As soon as I can get a GTR at msrp, I'm getting one.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:02 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gpjli
Where is the stig in a gt3 when you need him?
Why would you bring a GT3 into the mix? The GT-R was clearly designed with the 911 Turbo as it's design benchmark.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:30 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by powder

I enjoyed the video and take it for what it is. Entertainment.
Both cars look great and a 1 second test an a two car sample over a wet track although fun to watch doesn't exaclt match the adjective "crushing" to me .

My absolute favorite part of the video (both part 1 and 2) is when he said "shut up" . It was even more humorous than the BMW "MOP" 3 which BTW I liked too.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by forhamilton
What the hell is Jeremy Clarkson doing in Hong Kong!

I didn't mean for it to be funny.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I gues we really won't know which car is faster around a track until you set up a real test. Get the Porsche factory driver and the Nissan factory driver on the same track on the same day and measure those lap times.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
bottom line is even if the GTR is a second behind on whatever track....thats one hell of a car and a bargain to boot. The fact that its hanging or even beating the TT is fantastic. Lets face it, Porsche is getting too comfy as #1, little incentive to turn the heat up is a good thing - but I doubt Porsche decision makers are going to give a rats a$$ though.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:34 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Any videos out there yet...

of a GTR pulling up to one of the hot restaurants in West Hollywood and showing the valets park it right at the front door?

Instead of them taking it out to the back and jamming it into a tight spot between 2 BMWs?

There isn't?

Oh.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 AM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gmoney
bottom line is even if the GTR is a second behind on whatever track....thats one hell of a car and a bargain to boot. The fact that its hanging or even beating the TT is fantastic. Lets face it, Porsche is getting too comfy as #1, little incentive to turn the heat up is a good thing - but I doubt Porsche decision makers are going to give a rats a$$ though.
Exactly. I do respect the badge-snobs because I'm one too but the reason the Germans and Italians get to charge so much $$$$$ in the very 1st place was because they build quality cars...in the very 1st place you paid the $$$$$ to get the faster/better-looking/higher quality car, why do we now lose sight of this? However, that doesn't mean they can rest on their laurels and expect their fanboys to defend against a faster/inexpensive car by irrelevant remarks such as "ooh, but my LEATHER's better!" That's bs unless the GTR's made by Yugo. If anything, the Porsche guys should be glad because the next generation should be even better in order to top the GTR.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:01 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
of a GTR pulling up to one of the hot restaurants in West Hollywood and showing the valets park it right at the front door?

Instead of them taking it out to the back and jamming it into a tight spot between 2 BMWs?

There isn't?

Oh.

So...your idea of the "better" car is the one that you can show off? And what happens when a 599 or 430 pulls up to that same restaurant, and your 911 gets dumped in the back to make room. Feel any better? Now that's ...

Elitists...makes us all look bad.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
Regardless of the outcome, Porsche definitely needs to up their game with the next generation of the 911. Hopefully any car manufacturer will be allowed to do this considering the mis-informed political & social issues that lie in their way.

Best of luck to them...

Old 02-21-2008, 08:47 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
Just by listening to what they are saying, you can see they decided from the start that the GTR was going to win this test. before... I think that the GTR is badass but I feel like he could have got a better time from the Pcar. I think they would be about the samen, not the Pcar being a one second slower.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM
gtrmonkey is infamous around these parts
GTR is faster because they use Porsche as benchmark. Its not like 911 thinks to itself, oh the gtr just came out so I am going to have to perform better. I am pretty sure that the next 911 is going to be faster because it newer and now they know what they have to beat. I am surprized that people are shock like this is news. This fight as been going on since the 80's. Nissan does the same thing everytime wait for porsche to come out with the Turbo and use it a benchmark for the Skyline gtr. Anyone with enough time and money can beat there benchmark but to beat generations to come that tricky part because nobody can tell the future.

Last edited by gtrmonkey; 02-21-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbodickie
It is still a Jap car no matter how fast it may or may not be. It has to be fast because it is butt ugly!
You probably don't mean this to be racist ( I hope) but please refrain from calling them 'Jap' cars..You wouldn't wanna hurt anyone's feelings..

Thank you.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:21 PM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
Good vid!
Man that GTR owner is a trusting soul,i dont know if i could do that with a new car that i just picked up from the dock!
You have to hand it to the Japanese they can build fantastic cars,and just imagine how good the v-spec models are going to be in the future.
Anyone who is going to have both cars in their garage is very lucky indeed!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR