997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Z07
Banned
Z07 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I have had no problem whatsoever admitting that from the get go, but people want to claim it's the fastest thing there is and that's not true, the Z06 is faster and cheaper actually, you can get one for under MSRP now. The GT-R is the best of what it has to offer for the price, by far, but best performance for price crown still goes to the Z06. PERIOD.
I wouldn't say that. They are competitively priced (GTR $67k, Z06 $70k). On a dry track there's little between them. From a roll, the Z06 wins. From a dig, it depends on the track and driver with the Z06. It'll run anything from a high 10 to a 12. The worst a GTR will do is mid-11s, even on a poor, unprepped surface with Forrest Gump driving. Line 2 average drivers up at street lights and the GTR wins, or rather launch control wins.

It depends what you're looking for. The Z06 is a difficult but rewarding drive, with a fantastic, modifiable, variable displacement engine. The GTR is an easy, consistent, user friendly drive, with AWD security.

On equal tires, or did you not read that part. The Z06 set it's lap in ONE DAY, and possibly from a standing start, weeks of testing and a flying start and similar tires and it will absolutely murder the GT-R, without a doubt. The Sport Auto lap is a joke, view it on youtube, they counted the warmup lap - 2 seconds he spent on a misshift as the final time, the Z06 can go much faster than what they did.
I realise that the Z06 had limited testing with the 7m43s time, that's why I said they were very even. To say the Z06 murders the GTR is talking crap, but this is nothing new for you. 'Murdering' would mean at least 10-15s at the Nurburgring. There isn't that much between them.

Sport Auto have an inferior driver, but there was nothing that wrong with the lap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62WfAYRcaHI

So now it doesnt need to be faster? You're right it doesnt, but that's a far cry from what you've been claiming here recently. Which one is it?
That VIR lap thing is exactly why you cant believe magazines today, a GT500 equal to a 997 TT on any track anywhere is an abomination for them to print. We'll see if they retest the TT like they did for the GT500 which ran 6 seconds slower the year prior too, same for the C6 base vette, going by those standards (6 seconds off the second year) that would put the TT under 3 minutes
Nope, nope, nope. Don't twist my words. You need to learn how to read. I stand by the fact that the GTR is faster than the 997TT and GT3 - that was my original argument. You brought the other cars into it.

Journalists have more experience with some cars than others, which would explain why Best Motoring showed a wider difference between the 997s and the GTR, than CAR magazine, Sport Auto, Autocar or Evo did. However, the VIR lap was a overtly patriotic attempt at re-writing the laws of physics and, in doing it, they had precisely the opposite affect to what they were trying to achieve. Rather than elevating the US car industry, they cast a shadow of doubt over all US motoring journalism, good and bad.

If by closely you mean a couple of seconds behind, then yeah, but on the track a set of tires increases the Z06 lead to 3-4 seconds. Yeah in the rain the GT-R has an advantage, duh.
No, by 'close', I mean close and would have no evidence to substantiate a more accurate statement. Again, you bring out your bartering tyres for seconds tactic. Either put them on and provide the evidence or desist.

And why the disguise there? You have the courage to come here yet not the stupidity to keep the same screen name?
Fixed.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Brett B is infamous around these parts
I call b.s. on your 1/4 mile run unless the car was a 10 mid-low 10 second car. The GT-R is no such thing. So running a faster time and 10 mph slower than what the factory claims or the fastest time to date is what makes it b.s.

But you obviously didnt get that part.
Sigh. Call BS all you want, I can post the video if you like. I was merely providing an example that losing acceleration at the end of the track will decrease your trap speed while the ET can remain relatively unaffected (kind of like a speed limiter does...), and that running those times and traps does not require anywhere close to a 1.3 60'. Your statement about needing a 1.3 60' to run mid 11's at those traps shows you are just throwing out meaningless numbers rather then speak from personal experience.

Anyway, Edmunds got a GT-R without the speed limiter to run an 11.6 @ 121 mph at an airstrip.

The Aussie car with a 111mph speed limiter ran an 11.67 at 111 mph on a prepped surface.

I don't get what is so hard to understand about that. Do you think that the trap speed of the Aussie car being the same as the factory published top speed limiter is a convenient coincidence?

Insert die-hard brand loyalty statement here.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Z07
I wouldn't say that. They are competitively priced (GTR $67k, Z06 $70k). On a dry track there's little between them. From a roll, the Z06 wins. From a dig, it depends on the track and driver with the Z06. It'll run anything from a high 10 to a 12. The worst a GTR will do is mid-11s, even on a poor, unprepped surface with Forrest Gump driving. Line 2 average drivers up at street lights and the GTR wins, or rather launch control wins.
What are you talking about, the BEST a GT-R has done is mid-high 11's. Yes it's easier to be more consistent in ANY AWD car. That's no surprise, but I bet you see plenty of 12's when people get in the car, and the ultra rare 20" RE070's are too expensive to keep replacing after a few thousand miles.

It depends what you're looking for. The Z06 is a difficult but rewarding drive, with a fantastic, modifiable, variable displacement engine. The GTR is an easy, consistent, user friendly drive, with AWD security. agreed

I realise that the Z06 had limited testing with the 7m43s time, that's why I said they were very even. To say the Z06 murders the GTR is talking crap, but this is nothing new for you. 'Murdering' would mean at least 10-15s at the Nurburgring. There isn't that much between them. comon, on equal tires, those RE's are no joke, and that is a MAJOR consensus. The ring is a tad different as the bumpiness is more infavor of the GT-R, but on a normal track, these guys in the Z06's are going to put miles on the GT-R's, mag testing is a joke compared to the actual track.

Sport Auto have an inferior driver, but there was nothing that wrong with the lap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62WfAYRcaHI
The lap is a GEFECTERHIERDEN (or whatever they call it), that means a warmup lap or out lap, yet it's only 3 seconds behind the lap they posted as the official time and at about 4:00-4:40 he misses a shift and is completely off the gas for a few seconds which easily cost him that much time. I doubt anyone can get within a couple of seconds of a real lap on a warmup lap while missing a shift in the midst. Get my drift?

Nope, nope, nope. Don't twist my words. You need to learn how to read. I stand by the fact that the GTR is faster than the 997TT and GT3 - that was my original argument. You brought the other cars into it. I stand by my statement that the TT is faster in a straight line and the GT3 around a circuit, with the TT about even on the circuit.

Journalists have more experience with some cars than others, which would explain why Best Motoring showed a wider difference between the 997s and the GTR, than CAR magazine, Sport Auto, Autocar or Evo did. However, the VIR lap was a overtly patriotic attempt at re-writing the laws of physics and, in doing it, they had precisely the opposite affect to what they were trying to achieve. Rather than elevating the US car industry, they cast a shadow of doubt over all US motoring journalism, good and bad.
Best Motoring videos are widely known as a joke, that last one with them beating the TT and GT3 by a mile isnt even in the realm of realistic. Then they take a GT-R with at least a hundred lbs less than stock (CF racing seats) and compare it to a Stock tiptronic TT on awefule tires? And that's a realistic comparison?

No, by 'close', I mean close and would have no evidence to substantiate a more accurate statement. Again, you bring out your bartering tyres for seconds tactic. Either put them on and provide the evidence or desist.

On equal tires I'd give the Z06 a couple of seconds on the GT-R. It has already put more distance on a properly tested GT3 than the GT-R could on a handicapped one, and that was on runflats. Again, if it rains, then the tide turns, but judging from that one video with the engineers driving in the wet, you turn the aids off, and you cant easily put a GT-R in the wall, I think a false sense of security is being instilled into people, the GT-R is very crashable.

Fixed.
I dont understand what the need is to hide yourself. I can look up your IP address on here, but I dont feel like waisting the time to do it.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:25 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Brett B
Sigh. Call BS all you want, I can post the video if you like. I was merely providing an example that losing acceleration at the end of the track will decrease your trap speed while the ET can remain relatively unaffected (kind of like a speed limiter does...), and that running those times and traps does not require anywhere close to a 1.3 60'. Your statement about needing a 1.3 60' to run mid 11's at those traps shows you are just throwing out meaningless numbers rather then speak from personal experience.

Anyway, Edmunds got a GT-R without the speed limiter to run an 11.6 @ 121 mph at an airstrip.

The Aussie car with a 111mph speed limiter ran an 11.67 at 111 mph on a prepped surface.

I don't get what is so hard to understand about that. Do you think that the trap speed of the Aussie car being the same as the factory published top speed limiter is a convenient coincidence?

Insert die-hard brand loyalty statement here.

No, the factory published time was 11.7 @ 119. So for it to run 11.6 @ 111 means it has to be capable of MUCH faster than it ran, just like your car is capable of MUCH faster than it ran.

That would be like saying a Z06 ran 11.2 @ 115 with a 1.8 60'. Get my drift. It's obvious they didnt have the limiter on while doing the tests or they couldnt have gotten an actually run top speed figure or trap speed.

And hitting the brakes and coasting/banging the limiter through the line are two completely different dynamics and you know it.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:33 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Despite all the obligatory arguments, can we not agree that these cars - GTR, Z06, TT are all in the similar performance bracket? There may be an advantage here or there but the argument for the GTR performance is certainly not the illusion that the R8 was. My personal guess is the GTR will be great for about 3-4 laps before weight and heat take their toll. It is funny to see that BMW still has no clue about braking heat capacity.

Last edited by eclou; 02-25-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:46 PM
The bigger M cars actually have pretty good brakes, the M3 must have gotten the brakes from the E39 M5 which were GONE after 1 lap. So it has to be them! LOL. You would think they would have at least added some cooling to them, or at least more than what they have.

But when has a factory M3 been able to go toe to toe with a Porsche Turbo or GT3 ever? It never has that I can remember, and cant now. I dont see why they even brought it along, it wasnt meant to compare with these cars. They had better be coming out with a CSL to save the reputation of the M3, thought I really think it's more media based than anything because the M3 beats what it "should" beat.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Z07
Banned
You do realize that a 11.67 @ 111 is only possible with something like a 1.3 60 ft right?

Do you know what it takes to get a 1.3 60ft?

Drag racing 101.

I call b.s. on your 1/4 mile run unless the car was a 10 mid-low 10 second car. The GT-R is no such thing. So running a faster time and 10 mph slower than what the factory claims or the fastest time to date is what makes it b.s.

But you obviously didnt get that part.
You call 'BS'? Too bad, the laws of physics have prevailed over you once again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-9v8Zl1FMo

Then there's the 11.6 @ 122mph that another motoring journalist recorded with no limiter....

Last edited by Z07; 02-25-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Hey slappy, that's the video I was reffering to from the get go.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Z07
Banned
What are you talking about, the BEST a GT-R has done is mid-high 11's. Yes it's easier to be more consistent in ANY AWD car. That's no surprise, but I bet you see plenty of 12's when people get in the car, and the ultra rare 20" RE070's are too expensive to keep replacing after a few thousand miles.
You don't get it yet do you? You won't see any 12s. You put the clutch in and step on the gas. This activates the launch control. All you do from there is hold the steering wheel and keep your foot down and it runs an 11.X, where X depends on the surface.

comon, on equal tires, those RE's are no joke, and that is a MAJOR consensus. The ring is a tad different as the bumpiness is more infavor of the GT-R, but on a normal track, these guys in the Z06's are going to put miles on the GT-R's, mag testing is a joke compared to the actual track.
After many, many laps the lighter car may prevail but let's not forget that the GTR has an endurance time for the 'ring of 7m50s, i.e. it can lap consistently for over an hour at that speed.

I'm sick of all this tyre BS, really I am. There's no way it can proved that tyre X equals 4s over tyre Y and you know what? It doesn't matter because car A doesn't come with those tyres. It's a mod. It's like saying that car B will hammer car A with uprated turbos. Non-stock item. Why should tyres be seen as something that can be changed without it counting as a mod?

The lap is a GEFECTERHIERDEN (or whatever they call it), that means a warmup lap or out lap, yet it's only 3 seconds behind the lap they posted as the official time and at about 4:00-4:40 he misses a shift and is completely off the gas for a few seconds which easily cost him that much time. I doubt anyone can get within a couple of seconds of a real lap on a warmup lap while missing a shift in the midst. Get my drift?
I'll say again that I think the Z06 is a great car but have you noticed a common theme here? Other people offer evidence, you just offer excuses. This is the loser's end game, the may-day call of the fail boat.

I stand by my statement that the TT is faster in a straight line and the GT3 around a circuit, with the TT about even on the circuit.
And your evidence? Hearsay and conjecture. What next? An 'unfit to race plea'.

Best Motoring videos are widely known as a joke,
So are you. Your point?

that last one with them beating the TT and GT3 by a mile isnt even in the realm of realistic. Then they take a GT-R with at least a hundred lbs less than stock (CF racing seats) and compare it to a Stock tiptronic TT on awefule tires? And that's a realistic comparison?
First it had no seats, then CF racing seats.... Was Chuck Norris driving too? I bet he was. I heard he did the 'ring lap too.

On equal tires I'd give the Z06 a couple of seconds on the GT-R. It has already put more distance on a properly tested GT3 than the GT-R could on a handicapped one, and that was on runflats.
But how do we know we can trust the testers? Chuck Norris may have had a hand in this, no? Depends entirely on the track...

...but if a GT500 can beat a 997TT, then a Z06 could probably beat a Nissan R390 LM.

Again, if it rains, then the tide turns, but judging from that one video with the engineers driving in the wet, you turn the aids off, and you cant easily put a GT-R in the wall, I think a false sense of security is being instilled into people, the GT-R is very crashable.
I drive an older one and of course it's crashable. Feels very RWD in the wet but that's the price you pay for having no understeer in the dry. The R35 may be different with the aids on.

I dont understand what the need is to hide yourself. I can look up your IP address on here, but I dont feel like waisting the time to do it.
Do it, I don't give a rats ****. It's just the way you're dumb enough to trawl the internet with your Porsche fan-boy reputation username expecting to be taken seriously.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Z07
Banned
Hey slappy, that's the video I was reffering to from the get go.
So are you saying that the video was a fake? Did the use some special extra sticky prep? What's your excuse this time?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:39 PM
[quote=Z07;1697012]You don't get it yet do you? You won't see any 12s. You put the clutch in and step on the gas. This activates the launch control. All you do from there is hold the steering wheel and keep your foot down and it runs an 11.X, where X depends on the surface.
Your on the UK site correct? If i am right which I am, you'll see several 12 second passes within a year of it reaching the US. SEVERAL. If I'm right, you leave here, I'f I'm wrong I'll leave there. Deal?

After many, many laps the lighter car may prevail but let's not forget that the GTR has an endurance time for the 'ring of 7m50s, i.e. it can lap consistently for over an hour at that speed.
An hour, I'd like to see the tires and brakes last that long on one car.

I'm sick of all this tyre BS, really I am. There's no way it can proved that tyre X equals 4s over tyre Y and you know what? It doesn't matter because car A doesn't come with those tyres. It's a mod. It's like saying that car B will hammer car A with uprated turbos. Non-stock item. Why should tyres be seen as something that can be changed without it counting as a mod?
There is no way it can be proven? You obviously have no track experience WHATSOEVER to make a statment like that. I agree about the coming stock, which is why I brought up the track, because to replicate track results you have to go to the track, and the first mod at the track is tires, so magazine racing goes poof.

I'll say again that I think the Z06 is a great car but have you noticed a common theme here? Other people offer evidence, you just offer excuses. This is the loser's end game, the may-day call of the fail boat.
Evidence of what? Theories that dont apply to the subject? You can make up anything, but finding the key knowledge to answe the question is something that seems to avoid you, and others.

And your evidence? Hearsay and conjecture. What next? An 'unfit to race plea'.
You read the magazines, well read the magazines where the TT has run 11.6 in ALTITUDE and Trapped 122. I;m not going to waist my time llooking it up for you, but users here have posted those times, and magazines as well, since thats what you realy on you should know this already.

So are you. Your point?
Teapot, look around.

First it had no seats, then CF racing seats.... Was Chuck Norris driving too? I bet he was. I heard he did the 'ring lap too.
Hehehe, what is this? Who said anything about no seats? Go ahead and avoid the subject, but the very vids you hang your hat on are slapping you up side the head.

I drive an older one and of course it's crashable. Feels very RWD in the wet but that's the price you pay for having no understeer in the dry. The R35 may be different with the aids on.Bingo, I know who you are. Didnt even have to look it up either.

Do it, I don't give a rats ****. It's just the way you're dumb enough to trawl the internet with your Porsche fan-boy reputation username expecting to be taken seriously.Porsche fanboy reutation username, clever, just to scared for people to know who you are heh? Comon, you and I both know you changed the name out of fear, but dont worry, your secret is safe with me, dialect says a lot.[/quote]

You are a fun source of entertainment but sadly you have no detailed knowledge of the subjects you dicuss, only of the magazines that you read. therefore it is a waist of my time if you cant provide an intellectually based counter to my points, as fun as it has been to deal with your ignorance, you can continue to plague the 997 TT section as I only visited here to set the fanboys straight. good day

Old 02-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Heavychevy, If you don't like GTR that's fine. But there is no reason to bash on the car for no reason. And why do you think American reviews are going to be better than UK or Japanese reviews? If the GTR is slow as you say it is, then we will find out sooner or later. But as of now, every single review that came out say GTR is a monster. And I believe Top Gear, AutoCar, Car magazine, autoexpress, car and driver, edmunds, Motortrend. etc over your VIEW of GTR. Because these magazine have tested and driven the car while you have not.

This guy who own a GT3 drove the GTR and have a very good write up. (Non biased)

http://www.nagtroc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21640

The best quote is "The road suddenly clears and I have a good view so I bury the throttle and.....OMGGGG holy **** this thing is fast! I mean, REALLY fast. Porsche GT3? Forget it, doesn’t have the torque. 997 Turbo? We’ll stop later and wait for it to catch up. This car is truly, sensationally fast and I have a sudden understanding when Chris Harris calls it a baby Veyron."

So all I am saying is, until you drove it your self, lets believe the words of people who actually have.

Edit: Just so you know, if review that came out that say GTR doesn't live up to the hype, then well, you were right. I just follow facts, no BS, no Hype, etc. I was doubting the GTR's performance since day one. But review after review it proved me wrong. So now I believe the GTR's performance.

Last edited by Akira; 02-25-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Boy reading comprehension is on the decline these days isnt it?

Where have I said the GT-R would be slow? Losing to a 997 TT in a roll on race, a GT3 and Z06 on the track is now slow? What planet are you from again?

I have driven a Z06 either, nor an Evo, or many other cars, but I am a good judge of what car will be faster and when. And you cant tell me a 3800 lb GT-R will be faster in any measure than a 3100 lb Z06 (unless it raining, rally, or in the snow) being driven to their capabilites. That's all I'm saying, use testing that's done to show the best of each car, NOT that one car is better than the other, because that doesnt prove anything if you're not testing the best vs the best.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Boy reading comprehension is on the decline these days isnt it?

Where have I said the GT-R would be slow? Losing to a 997 TT in a roll on race, a GT3 and Z06 on the track is now slow? What planet are you from again?
Use of word "Rape" the GTR = other cars is faster than GTR by large margin = implies GTR is slow.

Use of word GTR gets "Lapped" = ZO6 is faster than GTR by large margin = implies GTR is slow.

Well all of the said will rape the GT-R as well, and proof will come as soon as one sets tread on american soil and tracks.

The GT-R needs freezing temps and a one lapper to beat a GT3, the Z06 has done it on many occasions with several laps on hot MPSC, while the Z06 is on Runflats. On equal tires, the GT-R gets lapped.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:42 PM
That's all I'm saying, use testing that's done to show the best of each car, NOT that one car is better than the other, because that doesnt prove anything if you're not testing the best vs the best.
As long as the test was done at the same controlled environment, I say it is fair. Cold weather? It is cold for ALL cars. Bad driver? Bad driver is driving ALL cars. Different tires? As long as they are using the STOCK tires that come with the cars, who cares? As long as it is Stock vs Stock it is fine by me.

Last edited by Akira; 02-25-2008 at 03:46 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CAR Magazine: 911 vs GTR