997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

R8 vs M3 vs 911 Turbo vs "Other" car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:04 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by gmoney
200 lbs would be easy to drop from the GTR. No rear sets, light weight front seats, some rays wheels, carbon brakes, 6 speed trans (rumors are out there) vs. current trans and your well on your way without going carbon this or plastic that on the outside.

As for price? anyones guess. if they go carbon brakes skies the limit. with the other tweaks...I'd venture a 10-20k bump guess.
You'ld be very suprised how hard it is to drop 200lbs from something that's well designed to start with. Remember everything used will still have to meet safety spec's. for production.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:25 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
Also has any info been released on the spec V if that's what they're going to call. I wonder if it's going to be a purpose built race car, available to a select few, with very limited support. Just thought I'ld add more speculation. It Has been done before.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:44 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by airflite1
You'ld be very suprised how hard it is to drop 200lbs from something that's well designed to start with. Remember everything used will still have to meet safety spec's. for production.
Everything I mentioned is already available in other cars now, nothing new there....just expensive. Im confident wheels, brakes, no rear seats, lighter front seats would add up quick enough. Just look at GT3 seats vs. adaptive sports and regular brakes vs. carbon as examples on the Porsche side and go from there.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Looking at it from a manufactures point of view. What would be the point? Just make those options. There has to be more to the story and l still think a limited number, based on whatever the race series they're interested in requires, is what will be built. But like I said we're back to speculating and I think the cost will be on par with most cars it's competing with.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:30 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Also has any info been released on the spec V if that's what they're going to call. I wonder if it's going to be a purpose built race car, available to a select few, with very limited support. Just thought I'ld add more speculation. It Has been done before.

They (Nissan) have said it will be about 200 lbs lighter, with no more power and a stiffer suspension and some aero.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Nthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to beholdNthusiastt is a splendid one to behold
both are great cars.. sad to hear about the corruption though. Every car has it's appeal to certain audience.. Personally I'd take the amg black over all of those.. is it faster? No, but it fits my needs... No matter what the numbers are most wont by one or the other based on a magazine article. Most who can afford a 100k car are smart enough to check them all out for themselves. and most that can afford a 100k car really don't care what a highschooler thinks about his purchase....

Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
They (Nissan) have said it will be about 200 lbs lighter, with no more power and a stiffer suspension and some aero.
They also said the GT-R is rated a 480 hp at the crank.

Quite frankly, I don't believe anything that Nissan has to say...We'll just see how they do at the track.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Looking at it from a manufactures point of view. What would be the point? Just make those options. There has to be more to the story and l still think a limited number, based on whatever the race series they're interested in requires, is what will be built. But like I said we're back to speculating and I think the cost will be on par with most cars it's competing with.

Cant just make them options, then you would not have the spec v and more margin in the car

Give the customer less 'stuff' but charge more....makes great business sense if you can pull it off.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
I watch driving and drive a lot, on the track. I know good driving when I see it, and when I dont.

With a little time to learn the track I'd beat Car magazine and Evo's times easily.

Gee, arrogant much? If you are experienced as you say you are, then you, out of everyone, should know how hard it is to shave few tenths of seconds from the lap times. (If you say it is easy, then you obviously are not driving with people who are skilled drivers.)

You may be a great driver, but no great driver will ever say it is "easy" to beat someone's time until they drive on the same race track. There are so many unknown variables until you are driving down the track at 9/10 - 10/10 level.

Last edited by Akira; 03-04-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Akira
Gee, arrogant much? If you are experienced as you say you are, then you, out of everyone, should know how hard it is to shave few tenths of seconds from the lap times. (If you say it is easy, then you obviously are not driving with people who are skilled drivers.)

You may be a great driver, but no great driver will ever say it is "easy" to beat someone's time until they drive on the same race track. There are so many unknown variables until you are driving down the track at 9/10 - 10/10 level.
So are you saying we should let this thread get back to Drama!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Standard is infamous around these parts
http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetev...rsche_gt3.html

From the EVO magazine article:

0-100-0
Z06 14.0
GTR 13.9

Bedford West Circuit:
GTR 1:21.7
GT3 1:22.6

----

Carrera GT 1.19.7
Maclaren F1 1:21.2
Enzo 1.21.3
superleggera 1:21.8
599 GTB 1:23.1
997TT 1:23.55
996 GT3 RS 1:24.2
F430 1:24.2
E92 M3 1:26.6<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Standard
http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/planetev...rsche_gt3.html

From the EVO magazine article:

0-100-0
Z06 14.0
GTR 13.9

Bedford West Circuit:
GTR 1:21.7
GT3 1:22.6
I guess we're back to magazine racing.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bbywu
I guess we're back to magazine racing.
Magazine racing = getting best times from different magazines to show one car is faster than the other. (different driver, different conditions)

I wouldn't call a test performed by the same driver at the same track by the same organization "magazine racing." It's called comparison.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Scryer_360 is infamous around these parts
HAHAHAH, you wish. My car will severly put to shame a GT-R.

I watch driving and drive a lot, on the track. I know good driving when I see it, and when I dont.

With a little time to learn the track I'd beat Car magazine and Evo's times easily. I'd bet I could find at least 20 people at every PCA (Porsche Club of America) that could do the same.

You ARE talking about magazine editors and writers, NOT enthusiasts and racers. And even they dont seem to really be trying to properly drive the 911's. They have simply been exposed.

Since you are quite the mag racer, go to fastlaps.com and see that someone beat both times by EVO magazine in a stock 996 Turbo.

So they cant be that great now can they? Or maybe the 996 Turbo is a darkhorse.

MUHAHAHAHAHAH.
heavychevy, you are frankly full of it. You say there is no way the 997T would be slower in the corners than a GT-R or M3. Hmmm, have you gone bloody insane? Or are you just daft?

The 911 is a rear-wheel drive based, rear-mounted engine car. The 991 Turbo has AWD even, so not only does it have the weight all behind it (causing massive understeer), but it also has to work out which wheels get the power.

The M3 however is RWD with a front mounted engine, which is far superior for corners (the weight simply gets around better). The GT-R has a superior AWD system in addition to better weight distribution. Its fully possible for the GT-R to beat the 997 Turbo.

I've driven a new M3, and a 997 GT3. I know the P-car way of driving well. Both times on newly paved streets, not tracks. The M3 can indeed pull faster times than the GT3, it depends on the track. If it has lots of sharp, hard corners that you need to de-accelerate for, then yes, the GT3 can beat the M3 (not to mention, keep its brakes together). But when, three hours after our "track" driving (aka: leaping in and out of short streets in a neighborhood still under construction)(and stopping by my place to put new pads on the M3), we took it out to some public roads that had longer corners and no quick turns. The M3 pulled out ahead easily.

So if the M3 can indeed perform better than the GT3, whats to say a car far beyond the capabilities of either, the GT-R, couldn't beat them? Or even the 997 GT3's big brother, the Turbo? Me and my friend with the cars obviously are not amazing drivers, we're just enthusiasts, but still.

As to the 997 Turbo, once again, AWD system with rear mounted engine and rear biased drive. Unless you are doing the quick in-and-out corners, the GT-R wins.

And all this talk of P-car driving, doesn't that say something about us here at 6speed? That we won't give a car a chance, because obviously, if it beats the P-car in comparison, the P-car wasn't driven properly? Many of these magazine editors and reviewers have far more track time and lots more time behind the wheel of a Porsche than all but best of us. And I've read many publications where the reviewers are former Formula One drivers or have been in racing, would they not have P-car driving skills if they said another car was better? As to fastlaps.com, whats to say they are not biased themselves, who don't know how to properly drive non- P cars?

And seriously, who are you heavychevy? If you are like me or anyone else here on this site, you either have too much money and buy cars with it or have friends with nice cars, hence you and I aren't pro's, but just people with seat time. We're no better than armchair quarterbacks who yell at their TVs during the game because they played ball in high school. When experienced editors, drivers, and pro's give a car a good review, I think thats when we need to give some credit.

The ultimate test, I think, will be if Top Gear lets James May try the GT-R versus the 997 Turbo. He's a big P-car fan, and if it could make him a believer...

Old 03-04-2008, 03:38 PM
School must be out!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R8 vs M3 vs 911 Turbo vs "Other" car