997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

R8 vs M3 vs 911 Turbo vs "Other" car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I am not making a claim other than to say that neither can you . That is until all jourmalistic bias is omitted from BOTH cars and you are standing there at the track with production cars facing independent testing .

The Nissan may win.
The Porsche may win.

What is so awful about saying "I can't know" at this time ?

I guess I just don't get people who say all of the tests were biased BECAUSE GTR WON. I wonder though, if the results were different, and if they said 911 Turbo was faster, would anyone here still say that the tests were biased? I highly doubt it.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:11 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Akira
I guess I just don't get people who say all of the tests were biased BECAUSE GTR WON. I wonder though, if the results were different, and if they said 911 Turbo was faster, would anyone here still say that the tests were biased? I highly doubt it.
I can only speak for myself . If the GTR wins I won't feel like any less of a person for having bought and enjoyed my 997tt .

Now we do know some things about Japanese version of the GTR . It does have a very sophisticated ECU .http://luxvelocity.typepad.com/luxve...se-spec-n.html

The US spec car is talked about but is still unknown.

I am not discrediting the GTR or NIssan's effort . I even say that I like the car . I just can't make a absolute statement until the car gets here and keep in mind that a 2009 997tt is not out yet and there's just too many unknown variables at this time .

Old 03-01-2008, 05:00 AM
Texas911 is infamous around these parts
The article lost all credibility when the author called the GTR a rice rocket.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 AM
GewoW is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
In what tests have the two been compared head to head.

Best Motoring - their races are ALWAYS staged, there is no way a GT-R or Superleggerra would be running 3 and 4 seconds a lap faster than a TT and GT-R on a barely 1 minute track. On top of that these are all PRO drivers, there is no excuse for that when a pro driver ran 2 seconds faster in the same TT with shot tires a couple weeks prior.

Staged?- Yes

Car Magazine- As noted above, there is no way the TT would be that much slower in two corners than ALL of the other cars, one of which an M3, NO WAY POSSIBLE. Then it has the fastest top speed BY FAR. And is fastest in the last corner all of a sudden when it wasnt even close the first two??????? If you watch the video the guy was drifting the whole time he drove the Turbo, he wasnt trying at all to really drive it. It doesnt seem to complicated what their motive is. And if you look at some of the pre release press they were calling the Gt-R a better car before any of them drove it, so they already had a favorite.

Staged?- Yes.

Now lets move to Autocar who test the GT-R against the GT3. They test for one lap on a freezing cold morning. This is unheard of and purely stupid, they've never done such a test before but knew a good way to handicap the GT3. On cold Sport Cups the GT3 understeers badly and loses by .3. So they can make the GT-R out to be faster on a Road Course than a GT3 and that is pure nonsense.

Staged?- I definitely beleive so.

Finally the Nurburgring. I dont beleive this was staged, I think Nissan just has a better testing procedure. Walter Rohrl has to run in traffic with other manufacturers while Nissan rented out the whole track. Walter passed 11 cars on the GT2's flying lap and 5 on the GT3's. If he tested without the trafiic I'm sure he'd be much faster. There is too much speculation about who times what part of the track and how to make a real comparison.

Staged?- who knows.

As far as everything else the GT-R ran an 11.6 @ 121 for an edmunds test in Tokyo. It was cold and at sea level. Edmunds ran 11.6 @ 118 in 1120 ft elevation in Nevada which is sure to sap lots of trap speed. The GT-R had enough traction to run 3.3 0-60 so traction wasnt an issue. But the fact remains that the TT is just as fast or faster in this area, but everyone is making it out to be otherwise. Several mags have said the TT feels faster in a straight line, but that part gets left out and the GT-R is considered faster in every way. But it will come to light soon enough.
I completely agree with you. There always seems to be a motive to let the underdog win. I mean, who ever wants what wins to win all the time? Now, am I saying the GT-R is bad? NO! It may BE more worth it than the turbo, and a little more practical, albeit being large, ugly, and a Nissan...But is it faster? I don't believe so. Faster than a GT3? No way in hell. Sorry.

1/2 if not all journalists know how to drive amazingly, but do NOT know how to use the 35/65 weight distribution of PORSCHES optimally.

And plus, I would never believe Best Motoring...ever.

Last edited by GewoW; 03-01-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Standard is infamous around these parts
CAR states that the Porsche outmuscled the GTR in the straight, acheiving a higher speed, but the JDM GTR's speed limiter is set at 111.8mph. +/- 2% speedo error combined with errors from the GPS based testing equipment may have changed the results.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:01 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
There is only 1 or 2 GT-R's in the UK, and I think that was the only one in the UK at the time. Not only was it delimited, it had extra octane gas in it and was making more power than stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkaJU....php?p=5263311

Last edited by heavychevy; 03-01-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 AM
There is only 1 or 2 GT-R's in the UK, and I think that was the only one in the UK at the time. Not only was it delimited, it had extra octane gas in it and was making more power than stock.

I doubt it. Why? Because in the video, the guy who provided the GTR, I BELIEVE (if I remember correctly), mentioned that he just got it.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:09 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
It's got the same stickers on the bumper advertising castrol. It's the same car.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Tony (FL) is infamous around these parts

You'll find something wrong in every test that will take place. You could test the cars yourself and still find something wrong if you didn't like the results!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:33 AM
LOL, so you are saying that it wasnt the same car?

If you dont have a point, then shutup.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
That Nissan is fast, but it would pick it last in that pack of fine cars. Japanese cars just don't do anything for me.

John

Old 03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Nono sorry I misposted...I'm saying that the mods were probably done AFTER the filing, because I believe he said "I just picked it up now"...I'm not sure, but I know it's in the video. Then again, he may be lying about that too!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Tony (FL) is infamous around these parts
If you dont have a point, then shutup.
My point is that you will never believe ANY test that compares the two cars or tests the GT-R.
You might be 28 years old but you have the maturity of a 15 year old. Grow up!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Because you dont have enough knowlege of motorsports to see through media hype doesnt mean everyone has your same inability. If you can come up with a reason for why my theories are off base, then provide them. Otherwise you're just shooting off at the mouth while I provide credible information and facts that you cant seem to understand.

So either say something worthwhile, or shutup.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Because you dont have enough knowlege of motorsports to see through media hype doesnt mean everyone has your same inability. If you can come up with a reason for why my theories are off base, then provide them. Otherwise you're just shooting off at the mouth while I provide credible information and facts that you cant seem to understand.

So either say something worthwhile, or shutup.

No need to tell someone to shut up. They have there own opinions just like you. Let's respect everyone in this forum.

And just because people believe the words of people who have driven the car and tested the car, it doesn't mean they "don't have enough knowledge of motorsports." Have you driven and tested the GTR your self?

So I will ask you, what is so "credible" about your information and where are these "facts" you mention? Please post a link so we can all be enlightened.

Just to be fair, here are my reference to back up my statement. Which is that GTR, whether people like it or not, is faster than 911 Turbo.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...&postcount=244

Like I said before, if the above tests showed the 911 Turbo was faster instead of GTR, we won't be having these discussions. I think people doesn't have problems with these test, rather people just have problem with GTR being faster than 911 Turbo.

Mark my words, If there ever was a test of 911 Turbo beating the GTR, it will be a bible to some of you. Even if the tests was performed by group of 16 year olds on youtube.

Last edited by Akira; 03-01-2008 at 01:13 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R8 vs M3 vs 911 Turbo vs "Other" car