997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

R8 vs M3 vs 911 Turbo vs "Other" car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Standard
CAR states that the Porsche outmuscled the GTR in the straight, acheiving a higher speed, but the JDM GTR's speed limiter is set at 111.8mph. +/- 2% speedo error combined with errors from the GPS based testing equipment may have changed the results.
It looks like the Porsche pulls much stronger than GTR at higher speeds. Even though 0-60 and 0-100 are the same, GTR was only able to achieve 109mph peak speed on that track, while Porsche got to 114mph. I'm willing to bet Porsche would easily walk the GTR from a 60mph roll.

Last edited by Tuskir; 03-01-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Anyone catch the recent 5th Gear? Same GT-R used in Car Magazine...no comparison to the 911.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 PM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
The only reason this is so contested is because Nissan made it all about beating the 997TT. The fact that its up against the TT shows that this is the real benchmark. A car that is fast around the track, great around the city, and has a great pedigree.

And everyone wants the underdog to unseat the overhanded favorite, so whether the tests are biased or not, its certainly more riveting, exciting, whatever you want to call it, journalism when that underdog does come out on top.

Everyone is pulling for them.

In the end whether or not the car is faster doesnt matter, they are so close that it really is a drivers race.

The specifics? The car is heavier and has the same horsepower so it makes any reasonable person have doubt in the results.

Then there is speculation that the GTR has a track oriented suspension so then this car should be tested against other track cars such as the GT3 or the Z06. But its not a track car because its heavy, its supposedly for everyday use, and Nissan is the one that set this whole thing in motion by first reporting that their benchmark and target is the 997TT.

So they did everything in their power to meet and exceed it, otherwise this car wouldnt be getting all the press that it is.

So in the end what we really should say is great job Nissan marketing department, this is the best possible way to debut the Skyline to America.

That's really all there is to say.

Good job Nissan, great marketing.

Whether or not the car is better, I think is completely a moot point because these two cars really arent similar at all. If you look past the track numbers you will notice that each has a completely different focus.

And that's why I would prefer the TT, not because its more expensive or has some kind of pedigree, but because it actually earned that pedigree by being completely driver centric. The GTR isnt, you dont have to look any further than the flappy paddle gear box to see that.

So there you have it.

You want a driver's car get the TT.

You want a great all around car that gives you the same performance for half the price, get the GTR.

In the end, dont forget that this is just marketing.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Tony (FL) is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Because you dont have enough knowlege of motorsports to see through media hype doesnt mean everyone has your same inability. If you can come up with a reason for why my theories are off base, then provide them. Otherwise you're just shooting off at the mouth while I provide credible information and facts that you cant seem to understand.

So either say something worthwhile, or shutup.
Here are is a credible fact for you. A dyno test where the GT-R made 457.7HP at the wheels completely stock! 520 HP at the crank and the car wasn't even broken in yet.

http://kultivate.wordpress.com/2008/...r-on-the-dyno/

Is this rigged too? I recall you saying in another thread that all the dyno tests were false.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:14 PM
turbonator is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by raiyu
And that's why I would prefer the TT, not because its more expensive or has some kind of pedigree, but because it actually earned that pedigree by being completely driver centric. The GTR isnt, you dont have to look any further than the flappy paddle gear box to see that.

So what about the F430 and 599GTB with their "flappy paddle gear boxes"?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:59 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony (FL)
Here are is a credible fact for you. A dyno test where the GT-R made 457.7HP at the wheels completely stock! 520 HP at the crank and the car wasn't even broken in yet.

Is this rigged too? I recall you saying in another thread that all the dyno tests were false.

Totally stock running 102 octane fuel (race gas for most people).

And what do dyno numbers mean? I'm not one to argue them, but guys will argue for days about what dyno reads what compared to the others in what conditions.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:13 PM
dbPDM is infamous around these parts
the GT-R and the 911 Turbo are both different cars IMO, the Turbo is very fast but not made for the circuit.
They're always comparing the nurburgring lap times of the GT-R with the Turbo, not right in my opinion, but still i'm voting the Porsche.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:46 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !

But doesn't this put into question everything about Nissan's marketing? If the car dynos 520 at the crank on higher octane, how do we know that the car wasn't given a 50hp advantage during Car Magazine's test?

Old 03-02-2008, 03:08 PM
BusyLivin is infamous around these parts
1 vote for 6speedonline independent testing!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
The fact that the GTR is even in the same bracket as the TT is a great accomplishment. I would not consider one but have to give Nissan some respect for the achievement. It only means that Porsche needs to raise the bar even higher with the next model

Old 03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
But doesn't this put into question everything about Nissan's marketing? If the car dynos 520 at the crank on higher octane, how do we know that the car wasn't given a 50hp advantage during Car Magazine's test?
I'll be happy to dyno my GT-R and post the results when I get it in June(hopefully).

Old 03-02-2008, 04:38 PM
I'll be happy to dyno my GT-R and post the results when I get it in June(hopefully).
But you didn't answer my question.

It is obvious this is the same UK car used in Final Gear and Car Magazine's test drive. If you can dyno 520hp from 102 octane, how do we know that this isn't the case for the test?

Old 03-02-2008, 04:56 PM
But you didn't answer my question.

It is obvious this is the same UK car used in Final Gear and Car Magazine's test drive. If you can dyno 520hp from 102 octane, how do we know that this isn't the case for the test?
We don't know. We also don't know if the Porsche was run on 102 either.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:58 PM
We don't know. We also don't know if the Porsche was run on 102 either.
The 911 has been dyno'ed on higher octane...it doesn't produce more power.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:05 PM
The 911 has been dyno'ed on higher octane...it doesn't produce more power.
We'll have to wait and see some more dyno graphs on 93 octane then. I've looked but that is the only one I could find so far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R8 vs M3 vs 911 Turbo vs "Other" car