997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

R8 vs M3 vs 911 Turbo vs "Other" car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
R8 vs M3 vs 911 Turbo vs "Other" car

16 page write up. I didn't want to post on the "other" thread because it contained too much off topic.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122409

From the data, 911 Turbo and the "Other" car was neck to neck. Pretty much same performance I thought. It is the drivers race if these two cars were to meet at the track.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:00 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Akira
16 page write up. I didn't want to post on the "other" thread because it contained too much off topic.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122409

From the data, 911 Turbo and the "Other" car was neck to neck. Pretty much same performance I thought. It is the drivers race if these two cars were to meet at the track.
Interesting how the 911 outpaced the R8...I thought the general consensus of American magazines was the R8 was quicker around the track.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:22 PM
turbonator is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
Interesting how the 911 outpaced the R8...I thought the general consensus of American magazines was the R8 was quicker around the track.

Maybe for the standard 911 but not the TT. Maybe when they add turbos to the R8 it'll be up to the challenge.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:29 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Check out the 07 Lightning Lap featured article in Car and Driver...the R8 was faster around VIR.

My conclusion...drivers race.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:59 PM
HobbsE46 is infamous around these parts
Id still take the M3 over the GtR.

The 997TT is my favorite car out of the bunch hands down.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

I knew this test was full of it. Look at two of the TT's corner speeds. they are FAR below all of the other cars. DRIFTING, just like I tried to explain to the fanboys, but they didnt want to here it.

So explain how the TT is that much slower in two turns than ALL of the cars and then fastest in the last turn. This test is garbage, and there is your proof.

Next explain how a car with the slowest cornering speeds had the fastest speeds on the straights BY FAR!!!!!!!!! Yet the GT-R is faster in every way??????? And after drifting through two WHOLE turns, only a second down. Man, I'm telling you, the truth shall set you free.

Doesnt add up and the articles that the mag writers SAY the TT is faster in a straight line somehow slip through the cracks.

So all you 997 TT owners, dont buy into the magazine hype and put your tail between your legs, there is more to this story than meets the eye (or magazine).

Old 02-29-2008, 06:16 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
It's all good though because Nissan blew their load a little early, the DSG for the TT is coming, and I'm sure Porsche is taking note of this nonsense. This is only going to compound the beat down even if 90% of it is garbage.

Ferrari is going to get theirs too.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
Pretty impressive for the Nissan to match Porsche acceleration and beat it by a second on track. However, its still very far from Z06 and new Viper, which do 0-100 in 7.6 seconds. IMO, the best performance car for the money is the Viper. 600hp, 3,400lbs, $80,000 and it has the looks to back up the performance

Old 02-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Tony (FL) is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I knew this test was full of it. Look at two of the TT's corner speeds. they are FAR below all of the other cars. DRIFTING, just like I tried to explain to the fanboys, but they didnt want to here it.

So explain how the TT is that much slower in two turns than ALL of the cars and then fastest in the last turn. This test is garbage, and there is your proof.

Next explain how a car with the slowest cornering speeds had the fastest speeds on the straights BY FAR!!!!!!!!! Yet the GT-R is faster in every way??????? And after drifting through two WHOLE turns, only a second down. Man, I'm telling you, the truth shall set you free.

Doesnt add up and the articles that the mag writers SAY the TT is faster in a straight line somehow slip through the cracks.

So all you 997 TT owners, dont buy into the magazine hype and put your tail between your legs, there is more to this story than meets the eye (or magazine).
Give it a break already. Is there ever a test you are going to believe? So far you have found something in every test posted. The GT-R is just as fast as the TT. Get over it! That being said, if I could have either car I would take the TT every time. In the $70k range nothing will beat it.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
It's all good though because Nissan blew their load a little early, the DSG for the TT is coming, and I'm sure Porsche is taking note of this nonsense. This is only going to compound the beat down even if 90% of it is garbage.

Ferrari is going to get theirs too.
So what's your point? Nissan has the Vspec coming. Rumored at 550HP and a 330lb weight reduction. Will probably kill just about everything. A manufacturer is always going one better then the next. Look at the Viper and the Vette. There is plenty of room for all these cars out here. We should be happy we have all these to choose from. And competition is always good because the next version will be that much better.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tony (FL)
Give it a break already. Is there ever a test you are going to believe? So far you have found something in every test posted. The GT-R is just as fast as the TT. Get over it! That being said, if I could have either car I would take the TT every time. In the $70k range nothing will beat it.
Dude...relax. If you don't like the discussion, join another forum, read another thread. Heavy makes pretty good observations about the test...instead of blindly believing it blindly like a lemming.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
In the $70k range nothing will beat it.
Umm.... how about NO. The Z06 easily beats it, 0-100 almost a full second quicker, much faster on track, and actually costs less money. The new 600hp Viper, which is even faster than the Z06 also beats it and you can buy it for $80k. Both the Viper and Z06 actually look like proper sports cars too, unlike the ricey looking GTR.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Dude...relax. If you don't like the discussion, join another forum, read another thread. Heavy makes pretty good observations about the test...instead of blindly believing it blindly like a lemming.
I understand this is mainly a Porsche forum, but he doesn't believe any test so far. So do you believe every test so far is rigged?

Old 02-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tuskir
Umm.... how about NO. The Z06 easily beats it, 0-100 almost a full second quicker, much faster on track, and actually costs less money. The new 600hp Viper, which is even faster than the Z06 also beats it and you can buy it for $80k. Both the Viper and Z06 actually look like proper sports cars too, unlike the ricey looking GTR.
The Ring times so far, say you're wrong.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 PM

If there werent people like me who hold people to standards in testing, well then everyone would beleive everything like....well...you.

Being just as fast is one thing, and I've said they would be close peers from day one. But the Best Motoring 4 seconds a lap faster on a 1 minute course began a bunch of over exhaggerated magazine articles trying to make the car something that it isnt and beat cars it wont.

I'm just calling their bluff. There is now proof of fudged dyno numbers, so it's obvious the fanboys have bought into the hype. I have sound reasoning and logic behind everything I say, if you dont have a counterpoint that suitable then you have no place questioning me. Just keep reading your magazines and believing everything you read.

Nissan has set an all out media attack to make people think the car is something it's not. Key phrases used by Nissan's top people in developement are now being used by these magazine writers, this leads me to beleive a lot of this was staged. And tests like this only proove my theories. The car is a a great car, but better than a 997 Turbo it isnt, and never will be. I'm just putting people in their place.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R8 vs M3 vs 911 Turbo vs "Other" car