997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My new 997TT w/Twin 30R's...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:14 AM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RS38
I seriously doubt that these dyno pulls with no or too week brakes are worth the paper written on and generate results that are for real life.
The time duration of the acceleration is only 3-4 seconds in 5(?)th gear?
not sure what you mean??? car is equipped from the factory with the pccb's. the dyno pull was in 4th gear. the car absolutely hauls in any gear you put it in. real world results netted a 60-130 mph time of 5.00 seconds and a 1/4 trap speed of approximately 146 mph. if those aren't real world results, i don't know what is. i guess i am not sure where you are coming from.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Congrads...you are lucky man...great numbers and you can enjoy the BEAST...

Last edited by GT RUS; 08-28-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:56 AM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GT RUS
Congrads...you are lucky man...great numbers and you can enjoy the BEAST...
thanks. i heard your beast is just about ready to go as well. i am very pleased with the outcome of this project. it has exceeded my expectations in every respect.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:06 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I seriously doubt that these dyno pulls with no or too week brakes are worth the paper written on and generate results that are for real life.
The time duration of the acceleration is only 3-4 seconds in 5(?)th gear?
Hey bro,

His car ran a verified 5.00 60-130 on a very slight incline. It's for real.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:38 AM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dk996tt
not sure what you mean??? car is equipped from the factory with the pccb's. the dyno pull was in 4th gear. the car absolutely hauls in any gear you put it in. real world results netted a 60-130 mph time of 5.00 seconds and a 1/4 trap speed of approximately 146 mph. if those aren't real world results, i don't know what is. i guess i am not sure where you are coming from.
I do not doubt the potential of the car, but I would be careful with the claimed hp on paper.
my post belongs to the dyno video. It showed a very short pull that is usually too short for a proper power and torque measurment.

The 5,0 is a great run with insane power (and boost+race fuel) needed for this.

But how is the stability of that package with stock inner engine and how does your gearbox work with it? Do you have tiptronic and different maps you can choose if you do not want to do some record runs?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
My holy lord... bolt on's and this kind of power? Stock internals? I am in complete and utter disbelief.

Words can't quite put it into perspective. My jaw literally dropped at the dyno video...

Tym that is fantastic work! Truly amazing! I wish you and your company nothing but the best... kind of makes buying a 996tt and doing a full build look completly stupid at this point anymore.

dk - props to you for being that customer who lets this kind of R&D get developed on your own car and for not wanting to beat on it at the strip! (I am with ya on the added wear and tear factor!)

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is there a spec list of what everything has been changed on the car? Are we thinking about a possible kit in the future, rough pricing?

What are we talking about in terms of long term reliability? Sounds like its holding up well to tons of dyno time... Do you think there will be a big increase in reliability issues?

Cheers guys! Can't wait to see more!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:55 PM
AudiRS is infamous around these parts
i love how Europeans always doubt american numbers. Without a doubt, american tuners are tuning cars with the highest degree of professionalism. Even GT RUS is tuning his car in the US where he could have easily done that in germany.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:38 PM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Its also cheaper LOL

Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 AM
TT23 is infamous around these parts
This car is just beyond sick !!!!!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
Why not?

I do not doubt the potential of the car, but I would be careful with the claimed hp on paper.
my post belongs to the dyno video. It showed a very short pull that is usually too short for a proper power and torque measurment.

The 5,0 is a great run with insane power (and boost+race fuel) needed for this.

But how is the stability of that package with stock inner engine and how does your gearbox work with it? Do you have tiptronic and different maps you can choose if you do not want to do some record runs?
The numbers are very real. You can put the man down if you like but what's the point? The whole goal of the "project" is to see what the Porsche 997 (Turbo) platform will withstand. Apparently there's a lot lot lot left in the motor. With Tym's standalone tune it appears that the 997 Turbo will essentially leave 100% of the sportscar market in the dust.

Everyone understands, I would think, that the more HP you make the less overall longevity you have with the components. Brakes, Tires, Turbos, Transmission, Clutch, Pistons, Rods, Main Bearings, Valves, Suspension, errrr..... what else did I miss??? so your comment is tautology and pretty useless on that basis to those who understand a basic, fundamental, universal truism that it only "runs hard as hell" until it breaks... which we all expect at some point, and at this output level, that's the test.

Thank you for the people in this world who are willing to drain $500K at a time in the name of research so that those who come after them might get a STEAL (on complete tuning packages) by acquiring the proven, tested, and accumulated knowledge from front-runners like these.

SY

Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
The numbers are very real. You can put the man down if you like but what's the point? The whole goal of the "project" is to see what the Porsche 997 (Turbo) platform will withstand. Apparently there's a lot lot lot left in the motor. With Tym's standalone tune it appears that the 997 Turbo will essentially leave 100% of the sportscar market in the dust.
Agreed.

One thing people should also keep in kind is that Tym purposely kept the torque low in order to reduce the strain on the stock internals of this car at high HP levels. That said; I'm confident that a stock internal'ed 996TT motor with the same setup will make around the same power as this 997TT. It just happens that no one has tried it yet.

Tym may be able to shed more light on this.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 08-29-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:28 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +100

Scott,

My neophyte understanding of the 996/997 "internals" difference is that the 997 has beefier connecting rods and some slight differences in oil delivery.

What remains true is that the MAIN problem with running high boost on ANY of these motors 996 or 997 is that without C16 in the tank, there's serious risk of detonation which is what torpedoes these motors faster than the owner can write checks.

The 996/997 platform will absolutely support 600+WTQ and 600+WHP without Carrillo's and ARP hardware but you have to have access to C16 or you seriously risk grenade-ing the motor. The Carrillo's plus studs and etc... simply allow the motor "some" detonation potential at higher RPM's without being in "immediate" self-destruct mode. You're going to get more HP potential with the rods, studs, hardware, etc... but still, the tuning has got to be spot on. It's why the GT700 kits are so #@%~^^ popular. The GT700 kit exists at the "bleeding edge" of what's generally been accepted as possible on pump gas and without regular access to race fuel.

I'd still rather have the rods, personally. Note that that's precisely where DK996TT has said he's going next on the 997 Sledgehammer. He knows all too well that the motor is probably living on borrowed time, regardless of current health, without a little more inner (internals) strength. I've seen these cars with 10% leakdown that still made massive power. The turbos just have to work harder, and the GT30R's can produce a lot more power. I'd be willing to bet that the only person here not surprised that the motor hasn't blown up yet is Tym Switzer.

SY

Last edited by SpeedYellow; 08-29-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:18 AM
vduzin12 is infamous around these parts
drag time slip

David, the porsche community is on pins and needles waiting for you to run this animal at the drag strip. It just would'nt be fair to us,yourself or Tym if we dont know what this car's potential is. I understand about the wear and tear of dragging the car but you and Tym have a chance to make history and raise the bar for porsche tunning. We all know at some point the car is going to break so why not takek a stab at making history. I speak for all of us when I say "this is Sparta"

Old 08-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +100

Scott,

My neophyte understanding of the 996/997 "internals" difference is that the 997 has beefier connecting rods and some slight differences in oil delivery.

What remains true is that the MAIN problem with running high boost on ANY of these motors 996 or 997 is that without C16 in the tank, there's serious risk of detonation which is what torpedoes these motors faster than the owner can write checks.

The 996/997 platform will absolutely support 600+WTQ and 600+WHP without Carrillo's and ARP hardware but you have to have access to C16 or you seriously risk grenade-ing the motor. The Carrillo's plus studs and etc... simply allow the motor "some" detonation potential at higher RPM's without being in "immediate" self-destruct mode. You're going to get more HP potential with the rods, studs, hardware, etc... but still, the tuning has got to be spot on. It's why the GT700 kits are so #@%~^^ popular. The GT700 kit exists at the "bleeding edge" of what's generally been accepted as possible on pump gas and without regular access to race fuel.

I'd still rather have the rods, personally. Note that that's precisely where DK996TT has said he's going next on the 997 Sledgehammer. He knows all too well that the motor is probably living on borrowed time, regardless of current health, without a little more inner (internals) strength. I've seen these cars with 10% leakdown that still made massive power. The turbos just have to work harder, and the GT30R's can produce a lot more power. I'd be willing to bet that the only person here not surprised that the motor hasn't blown up yet is Tym Switzer.

SY
well, i guess i am not suprised either. i am actually going to have my car tuned on 93 pump gas now. there will be a switch in the car so i can go back and forth from low boost (93 octane) to high boost (c16). tym said should have no problems running the car on 93 octane pump gas at 750 rwhp or about 850 hp at the crank. nobody has been able to produce a 93 octane pump gas car that will make 850 hp at the crank with the stock internals and bolt-ons only. so i probably will not do internals at this point and just drive it on 93 octane at 750 rwhp.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by vduzin12
David, the porsche community is on pins and needles waiting for you to run this animal at the drag strip. It just would'nt be fair to us,yourself or Tym if we dont know what this car's potential is. I understand about the wear and tear of dragging the car but you and Tym have a chance to make history and raise the bar for porsche tunning. We all know at some point the car is going to break so why not takek a stab at making history. I speak for all of us when I say "this is Sparta"
LOL...i know that car will probably run low to mid 10's at mid to high 140's trap speed on street tires, full weight, factory air pressure setting, etc., the same way i would drive it on the street everyday as a daily driver. the driftbox already confirmed a 146 mph trap speed just rolling it out and then hitting the gas. this is the bolt-on package i have been waiting for!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My new 997TT w/Twin 30R's...