997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My new 997TT w/Twin 30R's...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RS38
Please don't forget, it were german (=european) engineers who designed the engine, gearbox, ecu and so on.
US-Tuners simply seem to be cheaper and love risk.
So i have a question. If Switzer were german (or european), but simply lives in the US, then would that validate the results? Or would that be a technical default and still classify him as a US tuner?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by RS38
Please don't forget, it were german (=european) engineers who designed the engine, gearbox, ecu and so on.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
So i have a question. If Switzer were german (or european), but simply lives in the US, then would that validate the results? Or would that be a technical default and still classify him as a US tuner? <!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
2.how do u know most of the europian tunners ?? to defend them and talk instead of them ...
3.did they asked u to speach in there name and put u in the position of a loyer for them ?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
"With a name like Switzer, it's gotta be good!"

Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 AM
jonasgranlund is infamous around these parts
David, Really really nice work and insane project you have going there ))
Congrats to you and Tym (mostly you who can drive the beast every day)

I cant understand the bashing of US tuners when we see all handicraft, graphs and real numbers in this greatest of all time thread.

Your question regarding how good a tuner is depending on where he was born where perfect, this does ofcourse not matter, dedication and burning interest is things that matter.

//Jonas

Old 09-05-2008, 03:19 AM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dk996tt
i have asked tym to build my car so that i can reasonably expect to enjoy the car for a season. i plan to drive it every chance i get and will proabably log 6000 - 8000 miles per year. if i have to invest $10K per year to freshen it up and replace any parts that need replacing, then i will be a very happy customer.
that sounds much more realistic, but I still would be afraid there'll brake something which cannot be fixed in some days and below 10k

Old 09-05-2008, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Which is equal to approximately a 6.1-6.2 second 60-130. Quick car that is probably making more than 700 HP.
yes, this should be 6.1 sec.
The engine is called 650 GTR and sold as 650 crank HP, and is completely rebuild and driven in on an engine dyno for 93 octane pump fuel only. for driveability reasons on a track there is the option to change the ecu to a ~550 HP program.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:57 AM
I will quit asking questions, you are obviously not used to that.
It seems these threads only have one sense: to advertise certains products and companies and let some spectators say "hurray".

as far as everyone is happy it is very fine, but why you feel pissed if someone wants to look a bit behind the scene? it's no bashing, only a bit of wondering.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Former Vendor
Tym Switzer is infamous around these parts
It seems these threads only have one sense: to advertise certains products and companies and let some spectators say "hurray".

as far as everyone is happy it is very fine, but why you feel pissed if someone wants to look a bit behind the scene? it's no bashing, only a bit of wondering.
RS38: I believe the biggest problem most people are having with your posts and responses is the cynical edge that they seem to have.

You may be very concerned about the longevity of this project, but you should keep in mind that every project we do is built around *precisely* what the client wants or needs from it. If someone asks me for a road race combination that will turn its fastest times in reverse... then that is what we'll build. One way or the other.

The criteria for David's build demanded that we produce every component that we did to ensure that the vehicle would perform as it was requested to. There is not one person here that would argue that the engine will not last as long as the detuned-powertrain warranty-crappy U.S. pump fuel-friendly version that hits the showroom floor here.

Time will tell if my assessments of the engine internals were spot on or not. I can blow the heads off of the best prepared engines in the world if I tune it inappropriately. Hell, I can snap one of these engines in half with inappropriate tuning if someone asks me to. As for the stress this engine has seen in develpment and testing... I will tell you that this engine owes us nothing. If it falls out of the back of the car tomorrow, I will assess the failures and make improvements. You can't be a pioneer without catching a few arrows... but that's how you push things forward. It's called progress, and if we've been a part of that in this community... I'm proud to be so.

I looked at this platform originally because I was asked by David to do so based on some previous work he had done by others. I looked at it from my own perspective without any preconceived ideas or prejudice about what I felt was possible. I looked at what others were doing and really couldn't understand why I was seeing engines that had been built with components that were inferior to those that they had taken out!! I looked at the stock platform and said to myself... "hey, if this engine costs 50k in the crate, it's probably a pretty stout piece... let's take it apart and have a look." So we did. We've been developing engine parts since then... and when we apply our engine program to the cars, I'm really going to bend your mind. If you think seeing 850rwp is a big deal in the car, then you're really going to get your undies in a bunch when I show you over 1000.

There is still a lot left in this platform and much that can be done to raise the bar further. You have no idea what we're capable of. I'm going to be happy to show you just how far the rabbit hole goes.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:48 AM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
^^ Well said ^^

Thats how progress is made (period)

Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 AM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tym Switzer
RS38: I believe the biggest problem most people are having with your posts and responses is the cynical edge that they seem to have.

You may be very concerned about the longevity of this project, but you should keep in mind that every project we do is built around *precisely* what the client wants or needs from it. If someone asks me for a road race combination that will turn its fastest times in reverse... then that is what we'll build. One way or the other.

The criteria for David's build demanded that we produce every component that we did to ensure that the vehicle would perform as it was requested to. There is not one person here that would argue that the engine will not last as long as the detuned-powertrain warranty-crappy U.S. pump fuel-friendly version that hits the showroom floor here.

Time will tell if my assessments of the engine internals were spot on or not. I can blow the heads off of the best prepared engines in the world if I tune it inappropriately. Hell, I can snap one of these engines in half with inappropriate tuning if someone asks me to. As for the stress this engine has seen in develpment and testing... I will tell you that this engine owes us nothing. If it falls out of the back of the car tomorrow, I will assess the failures and make improvements. You can't be a pioneer without catching a few arrows... but that's how you push things forward. It's called progress, and if we've been a part of that in this community... I'm proud to be so.

I looked at this platform originally because I was asked by David to do so based on some previous work he had done by others. I looked at it from my own perspective without any preconceived ideas or prejudice about what I felt was possible. I looked at what others were doing and really couldn't understand why I was seeing engines that had been built with components that were inferior to those that they had taken out!! I looked at the stock platform and said to myself... "hey, if this engine costs 50k in the crate, it's probably a pretty stout piece... let's take it apart and have a look." So we did. We've been developing engine parts since then... and when we apply our engine program to the cars, I'm really going to bend your mind. If you think seeing 850rwp is a big deal in the car, then you're really going to get your undies in a bunch when I show you over 1000.

There is still a lot left in this platform and much that can be done to raise the bar further. You have no idea what we're capable of. I'm going to be happy to show you just how far the rabbit hole goes.
+1
Very nice indeed!

Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2008, 07:23 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
"hurray".

Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
As i said before....SOME European members registered on the forum only to talk **** on U.S tuners.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:13 AM
(what would be the motivation of bashing US-Tuners???)

If we are talking about experimental cars, ok, nothing to add. Then I like to follow up the happenings of these cars.
I like this forum because it shows some extremes that are hard to find over here, especially publically discussed.

p.s.
please do not try to read between the lines of non-native english speaker/writer.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Regardless, don't let it bother you so much that US tuners are making faster accelerating Porsches than German tuners are. Acceleration is our niche.
It is true that the european drag scene is very small/young, especially with Porsches. Most Porsches are driven on the autobahn and the rest is on the track, where non-turbos are faster and more reliable in most times.

Now that the rest of the world likes to prove thier cars with great lap times on the ring (Nissan GTR, Corvette zR1) it becomes more and more popular here to do some high speed records and zero to 300 kph runs. Most leading cars are tuned Porsche Turbos.

Scott, I sent you several dbox files especially a nice one with a 300-400 kph run that I would love to see compete from some one else.
The GT3 RS-TT which you added in the 60-130 list with 5.22 can easily compete with your cars, it was only miserably shifted (it accels with 0.5g at 150 mph and did 0-300 kph in 16 sec on a small airfield proven by some magazines!!). And they all run with pump gas only.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !

All due respect my friend, but you are not simply and innocently "asking questions".

As shown by your quoted statements below, you're making numerous sarcastic and baseless accusations/comments about the results of this project and US tuner cars in general. I would definitely comsider that "bashing".

I know for a fact you’re a true car enthusiast, but you seem to have a German tuner slant in your posts that is not helping you win friends.

I seriously doubt that these dyno pulls with no or too week brakes are worth the paper written on and generate results that are for real life....

US-Tuners simply seem to be cheaper and love risk….

Still do not understand if this Switzer Car is sort of a prototype (or a toy of some rich guys who can afford to replace engines like motor oil)...

What do you think has been invented since that to get nearly twice the power without reducing the life time of the engine down to 1000 miles…

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 09-05-2008 at 11:21 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My new 997TT w/Twin 30R's...