997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My new 997TT w/Twin 30R's...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
This looks like a workmanship of a pioneer. Very impressive.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Short video clip of the car up and running!

Tym posted a clip from their digital shop camera on You Tube for those of you who wanted to hear the car run. The quality of the clip isn't that great, but it gives you an idea of where things are going. I was very impressed at the throttle response considering this is the start up calibration Tym built to fire the car. No tuning has been done at this point. The exhaust note was simply amazing! Again... congrats to SPI for a job well done. I have been told to be patient and that there will likely be some bumps along the way as we start tuning, but I am very happy with this project regardless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKxDmjMkbAI

Old 03-06-2008, 03:04 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Swittzer definitely knows his stuff.
I've admired the work that he has done over the years for the Mitsubishi Evo/DSM crowd.

Seems to be that he is repeating his great reputation in the Porsche world now!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
Mark,

Tym doesn't weld exhausts all day. And it's not about the time spent, it's about skill level. He specs and assembles his own motors, does all the fab work and all his own stand alone tuning, whether it's Motec, AEM, F-Con, or this particular system. He doesn't outsource anything to anyone else, other than some obvious machine work. Tym isn't going to invest the money into buying an emulator to work off the factory ECU since Todd already owns that market and is doing the best job possible with the factory code. The factory programming has always been a limiting factor at the levels Tym wants to take this platform, hence his desire to standardize all his tuning regardless of hp on an OEM grade stand-alone.
I know they are working close together... but I don't think that the factory programming is the limiting factor.... but rather our aluminum blocks... Sure it would be nice to run the car without a maf... and that's where Tym comes in... but we can't run 30,40,50 or even 60 PSI like some of you Supra guys do with cement in the IRON block...
I think the work he is doing looks very very good. I seen the exhaust firsthand. aNd my Evo tuner says good things about him as well...

markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 03-06-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:28 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I know they are working close together... but I don't think that the factory programming is the limiting factor.... but rather our aluminum blocks... Sure it would be nice to run the car without a maf... and that's where Tym comes in... but we can't run 30,40,50 or even 60 PSI like some of you Supra guys do with cement in the IRON block...
I think the work he is doing looks very very good. I seen the exhaust firsthand. aNd my Evo tuner says good things about him as well...

markski
I disagree. Regardless, Tym is not building his Porsches to compete with 180mph trap speed Supras, so need for that kind of boost pressure. It's about safely maximizing what you have to work with....and the factory ECU isn't designed for the hardware these shops are putting out....nor was the factory code for Supras/Evos/Vipers, etc.

Oh and I ran 48psi in my Supra for 2 yrs without a filled motor.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
I disagree. Regardless, Tym is not building his Porsches to compete with 180mph trap speed Supras, so need for that kind of boost pressure. It's about safely maximizing what you have to work with....and the factory ECU isn't designed for the hardware these shops are putting out....nor was the factory code for Supras/Evos/Vipers, etc.

I don't believe Darin ran anywhere close to 45lbs in his setup either, its all about the gear/speed dependant boost being used as a traction control to get you through the 1st 60 feet, and then ramp up after the 1/8th. Both of which will be addressable with this standalone. How long before someone has some 17" Skinnies and a nice 16" ET street package available ?

Old 03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !

Well, then I guess you disagree with Todd because that's what he says... I was paraphrasing his own words.
If 900 rwhp -which is 3 times the of a stock TT- is not a marvel on a stock ECU then I don't know what is... I am confused when you say that the stock ECU was not designed for it... maybe it wasn't but it's being done successfully. I have never heard from the Todd that the ECu is limiting him....

As far as the Supras go.... I don't much about them but from what I hear those guys in Houston rebuild them as often as they change the oil... I don't want to start a war or who said what... but I know how many times certain motors have been rebuilt in a given year.... and how seldom they are on the streets.... meets, and strips...
And to prove my point, I asked my EVO tuner- who BTW beat Tommy Bahn's old mile record 2 years ago before Tommy bought a new Supra and won it back this year.... how many runs will a fully built evo with cement and a 42R last(900 awhp)... He said at full boost at 60 PSI it will last 20 passes. Then it goes under the knife....
So I wonder how those Supra's last a few years on a single engine build if they are run as hard as they say... something just does not add up... and I do not ask in a negative way.... I have nothing to gain from arguing...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM
AvusRS6 is infamous around these partsAvusRS6 is infamous around these parts
This is amazing! I had lost Tym's number because I lost my cell phone and for the life of me I could not remember his last name so I couldn't google it. Tym was the one that convinced me to go with the Protomotive upgraded VTG's which Tym sent me (he sent me these based on the trust that I would send my stock turbos back to him and he didn't even know me - lucky for him I'm pretty honest ). He is for sure 1st Class guy!
Wow, this is amazing what he's done.

Tym if you're reading this, I'll call you to discuss "options"...oh BTW, I did end up beating that Murci

Old 03-06-2008, 08:36 PM
PHIL2 is infamous around these parts
where is the omfg smile?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:25 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Well, then I guess you disagree with Todd because that's what he says... I was paraphrasing his own words.
If 900 rwhp -which is 3 times the of a stock TT- is not a marvel on a stock ECU then I don't know what is... I am confused when you say that the stock ECU was not designed for it... maybe it wasn't but it's being done successfully. I have never heard from the Todd that the ECu is limiting him....

As far as the Supras go.... I don't much about them but from what I hear those guys in Houston rebuild them as often as they change the oil... I don't want to start a war or who said what... but I know how many times certain motors have been rebuilt in a given year.... and how seldom they are on the streets.... meets, and strips...
And to prove my point, I asked my EVO tuner- who BTW beat Tommy Bahn's old mile record 2 years ago before Tommy bought a new Supra and won it back this year.... how many runs will a fully built evo with cement and a 42R last(900 awhp)... He said at full boost at 60 PSI it will last 20 passes. Then it goes under the knife....
So I wonder how those Supra's last a few years on a single engine build if they are run as hard as they say... something just does not add up... and I do not ask in a negative way.... I have nothing to gain from arguing...
markski
I have to agree with Marek, I think it would be hard pressed to create from scratch a program better that what Porsche continues to evolve. I must preface this next statment since I utter it with limited experience; as far as stand alone programs, they seem better at the track than on the street. However, the trend seems to be building race cars that can be driven on the street and if this is true then stand alones might be a viable option. As far as the climate is concerned, ship it down to Texas and finish the programing here. Of course, I have selfish motives for I would like to see this art in person.

Best of luck!
Robert

Old 03-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Banned
Maciej@RPM is infamous around these parts
... watch out for a lil white 964 at the Texas Mile thats driven everyday rain or shine ...

Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
very nice!
and best of luck.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
I have to agree with Marek, I think it would be hard pressed to create from scratch a program better that what Porsche continues to evolve. I must preface this next statment since I utter it with limited experience; as far as stand alone programs, they seem better at the track than on the street. However, the trend seems to be building race cars that can be driven on the street and if this is true then stand alones might be a viable option. As far as the climate is concerned, ship it down to Texas and finish the programing here. Of course, I have selfish motives for I would like to see this art in person.

Best of luck!
Robert
What are you doing when you change a Porsche program, data-logging the results from a previous setup and making changes in a new setup. Many of these sensors are pre-calibrated, and can be logged on the original setup, before going to a new standalone, so your not really starting from ground zero.

IE with my car, we log the problems and where they occur, Todd makes changes in those areas to correct the problems and re-log. It's the same for a standalone.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
For example, I have seen where the sensors and the program are not compatable, so what did they do? They just program the AEM to read a present number and not the actual numbers the sensor was reading? Good or bad, I have no clue. Secondly, can this stand alone allow the 997 turbo to be converted to rear wheel drive? Unfortunately; if I am not mistaken, the 997 turbos have a different program which makes it more demanding to change from AWD to RWD? Lastly, why not use the MAF? It seems to be working well in Protomotive, Vivid, EPL and other tuners who have addressed the issues but if you can enlighten me I would greatly appreciate this tid bit of knowledge, especially if it will make my car more responsive!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:45 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
The MAF sits directly in the air stream coming in, and the overall size of the intake you can use is governed by the characteristics of the MAF. Getting rid of the MAF not only removes something blocking more air from flowing in freely, but allows you to use whatever type of intake you want. You could run no intake at all with just filters stuck on the turbos sucking air in from everywhere if you wanted with a stand-alone or speed-density system.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My new 997TT w/Twin 30R's...