997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My new 997TT w/Twin 30R's...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mike@usp
I am sorry but i looked under a recent car and saw a dynomax muffler with giant goopy mig welds all around it. The muffler was for a camaro and couldnt cost more than 30.00. I would not have the heart to put that on a customers P-car. I really dont mean to disrespect anyones work but for the price paid I would think there would be a better alternative than an aluminized, Not even stainless muffler.
LOL- Yeah I know.... this is on mine too...
You mean one of these? Fabwork can be better... but he is simply too busy tuning cars.... and building one offs... You see, everyone calls him after they had issues and or current tuner's cant figure out the problem.... Even the big HP cars... then he is in there fixing other people's issues.... It takes a professional 40 hours/week welder to be a welder... If he would spend as much time welding I doubt he would make any money.... Heck, my evo tuner- Adam at Devo whom you may know of... is a good welder but he leaves it to the pros some of which you know... and does what he is good at... building fast cars....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dk996tt
I spoke with Tym this evening regarding the progress on the car. They were finishing up some minor details on the car as far as sensors and whatnot this afternoon. They did indeed start the car on the stand alone today and it sounds amazing. PLEASE EXCUSE ME FOR MY IGNORANCE BUT WHY USE A STAND ALONE? They are looking forward to beginning the tuning phase of the project which Tym feels is the most important factor in any buildup like this. USING A STAND ALONE REQUIRES REPROGRAMING EVERYTHING FROM SCRATCH, ALL THE SENSORS, ETC??In his words, "Tuning is everything... whether or not the project is a success or failure completely depends on the quality of the engine management tuning." WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH BY USING THE STAND ALONE THAT YOU COULD NOT ACCOMPLISHED BY USING THE ORIGINAL PROGRAM AND JUST MODIFYING ITS PARAMETERS? I WOULD THINK THAT PORSCHE PROGRAM WOULD BE MUCH MORE ADVANCE THAN ANYTHING WE COULD THROW TOGETHER IN A FEW MONTHS?? As you might understand, I told him to take his time and do what he feels is necessary!I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS NOT A INFLAMMATORY POST, I AM JUST WANTING TO KNOW MORE ABOUT YOUR ALTERNATIVE PROGRAMING Again, I've learned to trust his experience and judgement.

I know that some of you have had questions about the bov's, intake plumbing, etc. They have converted the car to a speed density setup WHAT ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES DOES THIS SETUP OFFER OVER THE MAF? and are controlling the engine with a stand alone engine managment system. There is no MAF on the car whatsoever.

We decided that we would like to see what kind of power we could make with the stock engine. Tym has already been inside the 997 Turbo engine as well as the 996TT. He feels that the engines are capable of quite a lot of power with proper tuning and that 700whp is not unreasonable if the rest of the combination is designed to support it. I've seen him extract an enormous amount of power from much smaller, lesser quality engines.

Once they get some of the initial tuning completed, I'll attempt to post a video of the car up and running! I'm very excited to say the least. Thanks to everyone for the great compliments. I feel they're well deserved for the guys over at SPI... they've done a great job.
LASTLY, I THINK YOUR MOTOR IS A WORK OF ART!!!

CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK
SINCERELY ROBERT

Old 03-05-2008, 10:39 PM
SLC4S is infamous around these parts
Wow... can't wait to follow this one

Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 PM
vtecdc5 is infamous around these parts
thats nuts

Old 03-05-2008, 11:03 PM
mike@usp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
You mean one of these? Fabwork can be better... but he is simply too busy tuning cars.... and building one offs... You see, everyone calls him after they had issues and or current tuner's cant figure out the problem.... Even the big HP cars... then he is in there fixing other people's issues.... It takes a professional 40 hours/week welder to be a welder... If he would spend as much time welding I doubt he would make any money.... Heck, my evo tuner- Adam at Devo whom you may know of... is a good welder but he leaves it to the pros some of which you know... and does what he is good at... building fast cars....

that muffler looks like a work of art compared to what i saw.. LOL

I understand what you are saying as far as a 1 man crew goes.. I would just have a problem forking over the amount that was paid for the work that i saw.. If i shelled out anything close to that amount of money i would demand the work be at minimum 1/2 as nice of what tym did on this porsche.. tuning is only 1 aspect of a build.. I will bet the longevity on tym's setup will outlast the competition. I saw alot of fabbed parts i would bet a few $$$ will crack in time..

Old 03-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mike@usp
I saw alot of fabbed parts i would bet a few $$$ will crack in time..
I only saw his car up to the turbo.... at the time that white 997tt didn't have any exhaust.. Im surprised why he didnt put on Switzer's exhaust like he did on my friend Bobby's GT2...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Banned
SYMBOLIC is infamous around these parts
Beeefy!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:04 AM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by robmd99
LASTLY, I THINK YOUR MOTOR IS A WORK OF ART!!!

CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK
SINCERELY ROBERT
The main reason for running the stand alone is to have complete control over the tuning in real-time as well as real-time datalogging capability. Also, by running speed density with a MAP sensor there is no MAF restriction whatsoever. I know that he has figured out how to use the factory sensors with the stand alone. As for the factory ecu it is certainly very advanced and I know that Tym sticks with it on the more mild builds. Tym said that he felt that Protomotive's tuning of the factory ecu was second to none and that he will continue to run it on many of his package cars. I know that he likes the fact that Todd will work with him directly to make the changes that he needs for each individual car if necessary to suit the customer's needs. As for the stand alone on this car, Tym feels that it is necessary to meet the needs and demands of this build. With the stand alone he can control many other aspects of the car including launch control, gear dependent boost control, antilag, hard or soft rpm rev limiters just to name a few. Basically it let's Tym do whatever he needs to do to make the project a success. I know that he is very very picky about his tuning. He has told me many times that any idiot can tune a car for wide open throttle. He is very particular about what he calls transient response and driveability aspects of the tune.

As for the quality of work at SPI, I can only say that again Tym is very selective and he is a perfectionist about the work that they produce. He runs a 3 man shop and they do incredible work as you can see.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:10 AM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
That is not a mufffler, it is a Cat, a good one (100 cel).,cheers, Sonny.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:47 AM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
This build (SPI 997TT w/twin 30R's) is pure-Porsche-****.

Between this forum and Rennlist I don't know how I get anything done.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 AM
chidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the roughchidoks is a jewel in the rough
anyone know?

Originally Posted by chidoks
very impressive.. what standalone did he go with?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Details will be released once all the testing is complete and is he ready to sell to the general public. Shouldn't be too much longer. If there wasn't so much snow outside, maybe it would have been ready by now

Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 AM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
No I do not think that Todd puts as much work into his fab work as someone who does fab for a living- like exhaust systems...
But then, on the other hand, others will not be as good in the ecu tuning as Todd will ...
This is just my opinion...
markski
Mark,

Tym doesn't weld exhausts all day. And it's not about the time spent, it's about skill level. He specs and assembles his own motors, does all the fab work and all his own stand alone tuning, whether it's Motec, AEM, F-Con, or this particular system. He doesn't outsource anything to anyone else, other than some obvious machine work. Tym isn't going to invest the money into buying an emulator to work off the factory ECU since Todd already owns that market and is doing the best job possible with the factory code. The factory programming has always been a limiting factor at the levels Tym wants to take this platform, hence his desire to standardize all his tuning regardless of hp on an OEM grade stand-alone.

He is also working on some really cool custom pieces for the 996/997 market, whether it's rods, cams, clutch assemblies, etc. Tym has been planning this for the past 2-3 years. He has just been very quiet doing so. He is an authorized reseller for all of Todd's packages too. The whole community is really going to benefit from his involvement.

He is working on another 996 that should take the platform to an entirely different level. It would be awesome to have Todd's flagship car, UMW's flagship and Tym's car all do a track rental sometime in the future. We need another shoot-out to have some fun with!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Pierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura about
Arrow

It is a fact that the 997TT has 2 big advantages over the 996TT in terms of tuning and peak max WHP for internals:

1.- 60lb injectors.<O</O
2.- Compression Ratio of 9.0:1 (996TT 9.4:1)

Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 AM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
I gotta subscibe to this

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My new 997TT w/Twin 30R's...