997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

My new 997TT w/Twin 30R's...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 AM
RS38 has a spectacular aura aboutRS38 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AudiRS
i love how Europeans always doubt american numbers. Without a doubt, american tuners are tuning cars with the highest degree of professionalism. Even GT RUS is tuning his car in the US where he could have easily done that in germany.
Please don't forget, it were german (=european) engineers who designed the engine, gearbox, ecu and so on.
US-Tuners simply seem to be cheaper and love risk.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
The numbers are very real. You can put the man down if you like but what's the point? The whole goal of the "project" is to see what the Porsche 997 (Turbo) platform will withstand. Apparently there's a lot lot lot left in the motor. With Tym's standalone tune it appears that the 997 Turbo will essentially leave 100% of the sportscar market in the dust.

Everyone understands, I would think, that the more HP you make the less overall longevity you have with the components. Brakes, Tires, Turbos, Transmission, Clutch, Pistons, Rods, Main Bearings, Valves, Suspension, errrr..... what else did I miss??? so your comment is tautology and pretty useless on that basis to those who understand a basic, fundamental, universal truism that it only "runs hard as hell" until it breaks... which we all expect at some point, and at this output level, that's the test.

Thank you for the people in this world who are willing to drain $500K at a time in the name of research so that those who come after them might get a STEAL (on complete tuning packages) by acquiring the proven, tested, and accumulated knowledge from front-runners like these.
SY
I feel there are different opinions about the purpose of the car...

I still do not understand if this Switzer Car is sort of a prototype (or a toy of some rich guys who can afford to replace engines like motor oil) to see and experiment how far you can go until it breaks or if it is the first car of a certain tune kit that need some big advertisement here, because it will be soon available to sell (and is promised to work longer than 2-3 weekends or a half trackday)

of course you can try raise boost until it breaks but it would be luck to say the boost before the break would be stable.

I agree that proper tune a big point but even with the best zero detonation and lowest exhaust temps, best oils and more, you also extremely raise the torque as seen on the dyno plot, and what do you expect this will last???

Old 09-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I'm confident that a stock internal'ed 996TT motor with the same setup will make around the same power as this 997TT. It just happens that no one has tried it yet.

you really think, nobody tried it? The 996 Turbo is out since 8 years. The ECU is even older. What do you think has been invented since that to get nearly twice the power without reducing the life time of the engine down to 1000 miles?

Most of the 60-130 times of so called GT700 in the hall of fame look more like sub 600 HP!!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Brett B is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RS38
Please don't forget, it were german (=european) engineers who designed the engine, gearbox, ecu and so on.
US-Tuners simply seem to be cheaper and love risk.
Ah, now I see. Since it is a German built car, there is no possibility that any US tuner could ever understand how to mod or tune the car reliably.

RS38, you must be the head engineer in charge of Porsche's engine programs. Please then let us all know exactly how many miles the 997TT stock internals will last with the following HP levels given combined street and track use:

500HP:
600HP:
700HP:
800HP:
900HP:

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:29 PM
no offense please!

any tuner outside europe may find some genious ways to get out a max of the engine but there are some physical limits. It's like the high revving race engines that need much more maint. and rebuilds. Look at the quarter mile top fuel dragsters, they open the engine after every run.

It's not a matter of power (if given enough cooling) but torque, how long certains pieces in the power train can last.
if you reach a certain limit it would be more a matter of luck when it breaks and the probabbility of braking for sure is increasing not linear but exponentially.

I like the extreme way you mod your cars it gives a completely new view to things so at the end of the day one can learn from each other. But I am not sure how honest most claims are, because it seems here is a lot of advertising involved.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
The sub-5 second 60-130 time verifies the power claims. Nobody expects the engine to last as long as a completely stock, factory tuned car. The candle may burn twice as bright, but for half as long. No argument there.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Brett B is infamous around these parts
no offense please!

any tuner outside europe may find some genious ways to get out a max of the engine but there are some physical limits. It's like the high revving race engines that need much more maint. and rebuilds. Look at the quarter mile top fuel dragsters, they open the engine after every run.

It's not a matter of power (if given enough cooling) but torque, how long certains pieces in the power train can last.
if you reach a certain limit it would be more a matter of luck when it breaks and the probabbility of braking for sure is increasing not linear but exponentially.

I like the extreme way you mod your cars it gives a completely new view to things so at the end of the day one can learn from each other. But I am not sure how honest most claims are, because it seems here is a lot of advertising involved.
I understand perfectly well the tradeoff between increased fatigue/wear and power output, I’m pretty sure everybody else here understands that as well. However, if you are going to make blanket statements claiming an engine won’t last more then 2 weekends, along with questioning the honesty of several reputable businesses just because they are making more power then their European counterparts, you sure should have some real data to back it up.

So, you didn't answer my question regarding what you know the engine life will be based on power output. Feel free to use torque levels instead of HP if that makes you feel better, since they are (obviously) related based on RPM. <O</O

Old 09-04-2008, 01:00 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Most of the 60-130 times of so called GT700 in the hall of fame look more like sub 600 HP!!
By your experience, what should a 700 crank hp car run 60-130 in?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
The sub-5 second 60-130 time verifies the power claims. Nobody expects the engine to last as long as a completely stock, factory tuned car. The candle may burn twice as bright, but for half as long. No argument there.
that's the point! there is no linear dependency. the candle only burns less than a fraction of half as long...

Old 09-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
By your experience, what should a 700 crank hp car run 60-130 in?
depends on the weight.
a friend of mine drives a Gemballa 996 Gt2 with true 700 crank HP, he did the metric 100-200 kph in 5.2x sec several times with no slope.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Brett B
So, you didn't answer my question regarding what you know the engine life will be based on power output. Feel free to use torque levels instead of HP if that makes you feel better, since they are (obviously) related based on RPM. <O</O
there are no true rules of thumb as you might guess.
talking of max. torque is much more realible instead of talking about HP@rpm, where the max. torque is no more present. beginning with metric 800NM it becomes to decrease life. everything less can last nearly forever.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
I feel there are different opinions about the purpose of the car...

I still do not understand if this Switzer Car is sort of a prototype (or a toy of some rich guys who can afford to replace engines like motor oil) to see and experiment how far you can go until it breaks or if it is the first car of a certain tune kit that need some big advertisement here, because it will be soon available to sell (and is promised to work longer than 2-3 weekends or a half trackday)

of course you can try raise boost until it breaks but it would be luck to say the boost before the break would be stable.

I agree that proper tune a big point but even with the best zero detonation and lowest exhaust temps, best oils and more, you also extremely raise the torque as seen on the dyno plot, and what do you expect this will last???
well, i can tell you for sure it has lasted longer than 2 - 3 weekends. we have logged over 500 miles on the car over the last 6 months testing at WOT as well as drivability. we have logged over 140 dyno pulls with probably more than 20 pulls over 800 rwhp and more than half the pulls over 700 rwhp. this would definitely equate to more than 2 - 3 weekends or 1/2 a track day. everybody knows the wick will burn quicker at these power levels. anybody with reasonable knowledge or experience in these types of cars would expect to have the car freshened up on a yearly basis. it the car needs certain parts, then they are replaced. i have asked tym to build my car so that i can reasonably expect to enjoy the car for a season. i plan to drive it every chance i get and will proabably log 6000 - 8000 miles per year. if i have to invest $10K per year to freshen it up and replace any parts that need replacing, then i will be a very happy customer. if you want your 4 yr/ 50K mile warranty, then keep it stock!

Old 09-04-2008, 02:27 PM
VBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud ofVBOXKING has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dk996tt
well, i can tell you for sure it has lasted longer than 2 - 3 weekends. we have logged over 500 miles on the car over the last 6 months testing at WOT as well as drivability. we have logged over 140 dyno pulls with probably more than 20 pulls over 800 rwhp and more than half the pulls over 700 rwhp. this would definitely equate to more than 2 - 3 weekends or 1/2 a track day. everybody knows the wick will burn quicker at these power levels. anybody with reasonable knowledge or experience in these types of cars would expect to have the car freshened up on a yearly basis. it the car needs certain parts, then they are replaced. i have asked tym to build my car so that i can reasonably expect to enjoy the car for a season. i plan to drive it every chance i get and will proabably log 6000 - 8000 miles per year. if i have to invest $10K per year to freshen it up and replace any parts that need replacing, then i will be a very happy customer. if you want your 4 yr/ 50K mile warranty, then keep it stock!
Very well said!

Aaron

Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
depends on the weight.
a friend of mine drives a Gemballa 996 Gt2 with true 700 crank HP, he did the metric 100-200 kph in 5.2x sec several times with no slope.
Which is equal to approximately a 6.1-6.2 second 60-130. Quick car that is probably making more than 700 HP.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 09-04-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !

you really think, nobody tried it? The 996 Turbo is out since 8 years. The ECU is even older. What do you think has been invented since that to get nearly twice the power without reducing the life time of the engine down to 1000 miles?
That's correct. As far as I am aware, no one has ever attempted to make 900+ HP on stock internals on either a 996 or 997 Turbo before this car.

Ya...we see abnormally slow runs ever once in a while. Sometimes it's the driver's fault...sometimes it's the car. Sort of like the RUF 590 that recently ran 8's, when my stock 505 HP Corvette runs 7's.

Regardless, don't let it bother you so much that US tuners are making faster accelerating Porsches than German tuners are. Acceleration is our niche.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 09-04-2008 at 07:46 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My new 997TT w/Twin 30R's...