997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What's the verdict on the exhaust not on a 997tt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 AM
jjparkusa is infamous around these parts
What's the verdict on the exhaust not on a 997tt?

I think EVO describes it as a loud version of a bathroom hand dryer. How much improvement can you get with an aftermarket exhaust?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The stock sounds fine, but it can be pretty quiet at the track relative to other cars. I would suggest a moderate aftermarket exhaust like Fabspeed (quiet version), AWE, or Tubi. There are lots of other good choices (Cargraphic, Ruf) out there but these I have heard in person. Any aftermarket exhaust will give you quicker spool up time from the decrease in back pressure, and they will drop the EGT as well. They are probably all good for at least 20-30 HP on these cars.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 PM
How would you compare it to the naturally aspirated 997? I also noticed that the aftermarket exhausts for the TT are all $4k or more. Any thoughts on why they are so much more than the ones for the non turbos? You would think that it would seem like the same basic construction.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:08 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
A turbo will never be as loud as a NA engine, the turbos tend to silence things a little. The turbo exhausts all include racing cats, NA may or may not. You cannot buy just cans for a turbo, you must also buy cats. The oem part is one piece. That is the reason for the price jump, well that plus the "turbo tax".

Old 03-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the education TT. I thought is was all "Turbo Tax".

Old 03-12-2008, 08:12 AM
notgood is infamous around these parts
I just had got my car back from having the quiet Fabspeed exhaust and intakes. I couldn't have cared less about the sound difference until I heard it. I have the quiet version and I love it. It's a little bit louder, but much more growly, but not at all obnoxious. Makes every thing about the engine seem more formidable. Throttle response is also significantly faster, turbo lag is all but gone, and the car feels as though a weight has been lifted from it. I noticed it leaving the installer's parking lot. It's quiet enough so that I feel like Porsche people will notice a difference in sound, but not people in planes flying overhead. It was exactly what I wanted.

One disclaimer. I was able to find a slightly used one at about half price. I'm not sure I could justify it to myself at the full price. It's not like the car wasn't fast before.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Yes, the new FS quiet is a very nice/clean sounding-moderate-exhaust. I found the regular gen 3 to be too loud at times, while this one is just right. Personally, I think the two best sounding exhausts out there right now are the FSQ and Tubi, all the rest are too loud imo.
Post a pic of that olive turbo, I love that color!

Old 03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Yes, the new FS quiet is a very nice/clean sounding-moderate-exhaust. I found the regular gen 3 to be too loud at times, while this one is just right. Personally, I think the two best sounding exhausts out there right now are the FSQ and Tubi, all the rest are too loud imo.
Is the gen 3 the "loud version"?

Lou

Old 03-24-2008, 04:33 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I have AWE. While we can discuss which exhaust "sounds better" until the cows come home, that is such a subjective thing, there is no correct answer. Loudness though, can be measured and I sure wouldn't call AWE loud.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I have seen/herd AWE and GMG, both are great.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 PM
IXIXVII is infamous around these parts
I went with AWE and I love it.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
I have seen/herd AWE and GMG, both are great.
The GMG exhaust has tips installed, mounted onto the exhaust itself. It sounds great, but the tip design can not be changed (at least I don't think it can.) The AWE exhaust can use either factory, or AWE's tips in chrome or black.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
TT Surgeon, with all due respect, each system you have had sounded "the best." Well which is it? I have been biting my tongue forever, but I just had to say something.

And as far as our's being too loud, maybe read what some of the others are saying. It's clearly not.

The next time you go visit Fabspeed for gen 5, stop here on your way home. I want to take you for a ride in our car.

To any potential buyers, wouldn't you rather trust a company that does all of their own R&D and Manufacturing in house? There is no need for us to have multiple generations of exhausts to bring down the sound levels. Our exhaust was right the first time.

Email me for details.

mike@awe-tuning.com

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 03-25-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Mike, finally someone spoke up against Chris. He's always had this "attitude" towards others who doesn't agree with his sentiments. I for one am tired of that. He doesn't seem to understand that all of us are likely to have varying opinions from his own. I've given up on trying to convince him that not everyone agrees with him.

Anyways, enough about that...

You're right, everyone has their own opinion about what is the "best" to them. I certainly am not going to tell folks that I think my cargraphic exhaust is _THE_ best sounding exhaust out there. I think it sounds great but that's my opinion.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Does EP make exhausts for 997TT's?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the verdict on the exhaust not on a 997tt?