997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Changing Interior Color?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 PM
DSUNNYM1 is infamous around these parts
Changing Interior Color?

This may sound really stupid but here it goes,,

I am really thinking about changing the color of my interior!!

I am just fascinated with the Carrera Red interior!!

Also in a way with my color combo now Gt Silver/Black I feel I am no different then any other Porsche out there...

I know I should have ordered the car this way but I am not a very patient person..Which always kicks me in the butt at the end....

For me to trade it in for a different color interior would really put a hurting on me as far as trade in value goes....

Questions,,

Is it possible to obtain the Carrera Red oem interior?

How bad would it hurt my resale??

What do you guys think? Any Ideas on who to contact for such??

Last edited by DSUNNYM1; 03-11-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
You are a very brave dude .

I don't see why it can't be done but don't expect it to come without a few growing pains . It may even be cheaper to trade in the car and take the mods into the next . No miles, one year newer , spec it with anything that you ever forgot --lol.

Ok I saw that you edited -- trade in might actually "hurt" less because the dealership would know the reason why you are swapping and might just make the deal worthwhile because they have something to gain too . They will profit on both cars .

To customize an interior it's really aquestion of whether you want aftermaket or the EXACT OEM spec and to accomplish OEM it may mean replacement of all the non red parts . The seats alone would cost you not to mention the dash anth variety of parts .

Then you run the risk of a mysterious rattle or snag .

If you spec out the car identical but with new interior you would get an 09 (instead of an 07 or 08) and (estimating) the 30K or so to make the leap would be absorbed somewhat by the newer model year upgrade .

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-11-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Don't do it. Too many components, too much money. If it's that bad, wait a year, order a new one w/that color and see if it still grabs you. You could always do just the seats, but even that would be very costly.
We can always liven up your interior with painted components, too, you know.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Change interior i.e. change leather components?

You're talking serious dollars. Of the components that can be redone - exclusive and optional equipment...the price is significantly higher than doing it at the time of production.

Other parts...ie dashboard console...even more expensive.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:38 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
I am not a fan of the red interior myself, but for as much money as you spend on these cars, you should LOVE your car. You'll take a big hit, but only you can determine if it is worth it to you.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 PM
WTT997 is infamous around these parts
Things will not be the same once you start to dismantle the interiors and put em back again, as compared to factory fitted interiors.. Im very sensitive and easily irritated by funny noises coming from the interior while driving.. my 2 cents..

Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Find a good interior shop, maybe ask the dealer who they use and be prepared to ship your car if necessary. Some parts can be recovered, some will have to be ordered. Either way having a good upholsterer do it is key. A good shop will probably charge a lot to do it, but when done right it can look even better then stock. I have personally done it on some of my past cars and it very time consuming and requires a meticulous attitude with all the little screws and small parts that need to get bagged and tagged. Like others have said, ordering or finding a car that is the way you want it would probably be the best way. Parts like seats, carpet, door panels can be ordered and are easy to swap out. The majority of the covers, liners, and dash are easy to recover. You will pay for quality. I would think low side 10 if you know some people who know some people. Something like 30K would not be that outrageous believe it or not. Doing a custom interior job on some of the easier pieces would be less expensive then doing the whole thing and still get somewhat of the effect your after. Just to recover a steering wheel with OE style baseball stitching can run $1000. To give you an idea of the scope of what your taking about doing, it's like changing the color of the exterior. Most shops wont even touch that kind of work since it is so time consuming.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:54 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
It'll be way more expensive to change - just trade it.

Also, if you change the interior, it will make resale extremely difficult as any prospective purchaser will suspect there is something wrong with the car.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 AM
RTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura about
I wouldnt do it. If it were me & had to have red interior I would put a deposit down now for one of the first Turbo S cab's, enjoy the Turbo Cab for a couple of years & get the Turbo S cab spec.'d exactly how you want it. Also that way you're not trading in the same exact car just for a different interior color.

Last edited by RTEAMSTRADALE; 03-12-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 AM
OCPorsche is infamous around these parts
I wouldn't change the interior color. Would ruin the resale value to a normal Porschefile because they would want everything from the factory.

I would order a new car and order either the lipstick red or can can red if you want to be a little different. Maybe a black dash and black top of the doors to break it up a bit? Just my $0.02

Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Not that it compares but I swapped the interior on my s2000 from black to red.
There were a lot of complications along the way but I was happy the way things turned out. fwiw I did vow to never do it again though. lol!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:07 PM
ee996tt is infamous around these parts
It's a lot of work... You may find someone out there to swap with, but you will likely get a "loose" interior... squeaks and rattles..

Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
father&sons is infamous around these parts
save your money order what you want in the future

Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 PM
TrentS is infamous around these parts
The hit you're going to take by trading it in will be less than the cost of buying and installing a new OEM interior, and then yes, you will hurt your resale if you change it from factory original.

If you really want a red interior that bad just go order a new car and take the hit.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:22 PM
jjparkusa is infamous around these parts
On top of everything else that has been said, red interior=very poor resale value. This is coming from someone who loves red and blue interiors but likes to trade cars often. I have paid the price .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changing Interior Color?