997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Mileage IN/OUT Doesnt match service invoice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
911Kalevich is infamous around these parts911Kalevich is infamous around these parts
I used to have my 996 serviced at Bert Smith. I personally hated Bert Smith's service.Ended up going to Reeves after 1st service with Bert Smith. I made friends with one tech and only scheduled to let him work on the car. Bert Smith= BS
For anyone who knows the area of St. Pete Bert Smith, 14 miles is a TREK!! Hell 5miles in that area is more than enough of a test drive haha.

-Matt

Old 03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by atomic80
Ok, some of you guys are WAY too paranoid.
+1 ... This thread has been entertaining. If you can't trust the techs at your dealership to take care of your car, you simply should be going somewhere else. Our techs and clients are all on first name basis' and are always welcome to see what's going on. Keep in mind, you probably don't see many cars like yours often... But those guys see many of them every single day. If it was a Porsche dealership they'd have a lot more fun with the e-brake handle in someone's Geo than your 997tt- There's way too much at risk to just snag someone's keys and take the car for a spin. I can garuntee you someone just wrote the mileage wrong or wrote it down before they drove it.

And yes, there IS a reason to drive the car after replacing O2's to make sure it is properly reading AFR's, heat cycle the car twice - no CEL and you're set.

I'd ask for clarification from someone who knows what they are talking about before building a head of steam and ruin a relationship with the place you seem to be most comfortable with taking your car too. Just my .02

Last edited by iJeremy; 03-13-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 AM
turbonator is infamous around these parts
Install a hidden GPS tracking device in your car that will track the car's every movement. Also doubles as a theft recovery device. They can be set up to automatically notify you if the car exceeds a certain speed or goes beyond a geographical boundary.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:04 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
My rule of thumb -- 1) always be nice to those who work on my car . I am polite, tip them heavily, would even go to any social funtion if it interested me . We are like family . They can drive my car anywhere they wish .

You can handle this as you wish but my sincerest advise is to thank them for those 15 miles it took to evaluate their hard work and write a letter to their supervisor that their company benefits from their participation .

You would be amazed how much they can help you if appreciated .

Similiar to my thoughts, if I trust someone to work on my car...i definately trust them to drive it (I unlike most encourage them to drive it, they don't get to drive cars like it often)

Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I wouldn't worry so much about the techs but it's the kid car jockies in the back that would worry me.

Had a friend who had an E55 and upon delivery he felt as though there were more miles on it than a new car should have (forget the number). Anyway, on the way home he turned on the NAV system and started playing around and noticed a restaurant in the next town entered into the system. He didn't think anything of it; figured someone just entered in their favorite restaurant when they were going over the car for delivery.

His first time in for service something similiar happened - more miles on the car than he thought were necessary (for the job it was in for) and same thing with the NAV - some shopping center was the last destination

Now he's getting pissed. The next time it goes in he puts some kind of data logger in the car and doesn't say anything. Gets the car back, notices his radio is set to some hip-hop channel, and both seats are waaaay reclined in the "cruising" style many of our young people like to use LOL!

I'm no techie but whatever he used gave him all kinds of info. - max braking, top speed, top rpms, etc. Not to mention the final "cycle" (the kid who brought his car up from the back to hand off to him) had hit some kind of crazy speed (given he was in a parking lot) and rpm.

He went back to the GM of the dealer and showed him the print out. THEY were pissed at him for "snooping" on them. They denied it at first and said this tech would never do such a thing. He told them he had no doubt it was not the tech, and would not care if it was, but he did not take kindly to some kid in the back joy riding in his car.

I think they offered him an extended warranty at no cost.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Porsche997TT
Got my 997TT back today. Cheched out the mileage & invoice and they didnt match. Said that "2871/2880(IN/OUT)" But the car has 2885! Looks like the Tech had a 5 mile joy ride eh...? Told the Service rep. And started to give me some BS about we need to test drive it! Im like why? For a bad O2 sensor and a bad airbag light? Im like WTF? Why does my car have 14 miles on it! Told him it doesnt match the invoice! He said nothing. I left the dealer(Bert Smith). Why do they have to drive my Porsche for 14 miles?????

I'll be calling Porsche......
hey i sympathize with you, however i own a few repair shops and a problem like an 02 sensor should be test driven, to see it is reading properly under normal driving conditions. My techs usually test drive for about 1-5 miles depending on how the vehicle was before repairs. also an airbag light can be triggered by sensors which are all around the car. driving on bumps and rough roads can trigger a faulty sensor to flash the light again, so i think that they did the right thing...that doesnt mean to say that he didnt joy ride, but i would think that they see tt's all day and its the last thing they would want to do.
in addition it can be a typo, which ive done and meant to hit a 5 and hit 8 or 14. I say give them the benefit of the doubt, especially if ur happy with the work.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Evo dealer would put 15-20m on mine when it was in for troubles, miles rack up fast. It took me 500m to try and nail down where the sound was coming form, if the dealer did it in 20 hats off to them! Of course I made sure who got to drive it (head tech).

Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
I wouldn't worry about it either. I trust that the porsche techs are so sick of driving them, that my car is to them is just like another stack of papers to me.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:26 PM
SLC4S is infamous around these parts
unless I personally checked the miles when I dropped the car off I wouldn't be too upset. easily could have been a recording mistake. that said, if they were joyriding your car i would be VERY upset but I don't think 5 miles gets anybody much of a joyride in a TT... that's like 3 minutes of drive time.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Yea it looks like half of you guys are backing up the dealer.

It was my 1st time & My last. For my 2yr service I'll be taking it either to Reeves or Suncoast. I have a really good tech that works at suncoast so ill be heading south to Suncoast.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:18 PM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
Goodluck. I hope everything turns out well.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porsche997TT
Yea it looks like half of you guys are backing up the dealer.

It was my 1st time & My last. For my 2yr service I'll be taking it either to Reeves or Suncoast. I have a really good tech that works at suncoast so ill be heading south to Suncoast.

My posts are geared with your best interest as the main focus. I do feel that somtimes "winning" is knowing when NOT to argue . In your case , the car is precious to you and these guys work on it . They value their jobs too . Now I am not suggesting that you adopt compacency and allow them to take advantage but what I am saying is that tactful considerate discussions might resolve more than a pissing contest. Just my 2 cents .

Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by yrralis1
My posts are geared with your best interest as the main focus. I do feel that somtimes "winning" is knowing when NOT to argue . In your case , the car is precious to you and these guys work on it . They value their jobs too . Now I am not suggesting that you adopt compacency and allow them to take advantage but what I am saying is that tactful considerate discussions might resolve more than a pissing contest. Just my 2 cents .
It's All Good

I learned my lesson the 1st time.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lager99
You are worked up about that? Who cares? I feel sorry for the dealers that deal with crap like that. Do you think it's the only turbo they have ever sold/driven?
I couldn't agree more.

Honestly, who cares? Dealerships have to test drive EVERY car that goes into service. Technicians are REQUIRED to test drive any car that gets ANY warranty work performed. If a radio **** is replaced under warranty, the technician has to first verify the concern, then replace part, and then verify the repair. Just like your o2 sensor, the technician has to verify your concern, check engine light, or missfire? Then fix the problem. The technician then resets the check engine light, and takes a long test drive. The reason he takes a long test drive is to make sure that the check engine light doesn't come back on. Sometimes a intermittent check engine light will only come on after the car is warm under certain conditions, accelleration, decelleration, etc. The fact that he test-drove your car is just so you don't have to come back the next day to tell them that changing the o2 sensor didn't fix the problem. If your car had a curbed wheel, or body damage it would be a totally different issue, but a few miles won't hurt the car a bit.

John

Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Transporter987S
1st of all, 99.99% is wrong. How do you know that? Who would legally hire a drug addict regardless of their talent in the professional setting? And how do you know if they're really clean? You can wipe yourself clean in few hours after injecting meth to your body and no one will find out during work hour. These things simply happen because of their lack of commitment and concentration. DO you actually think that your facts will calm you down after finding out some jackass took a joy ride of your TT for 14 miles? And you're telling the him to relax? You will go absolutely ballistic if it was your ride and your #2 is the reason why they take so much time fixing the car because of their laziness and joy ride is absolutely possible. Go ahead and defend the stealership. I'm here to share my experience and my naive comments so that people like you can understand what customers like me and him go through.
Ok Mr. Know it all. You win. I guess you know everything.
It's customers like you that dealers hate and that's probably why they will do some of the things you say they do to your car

As for me, I took my brand new 997tt to my dealer with $$$ of mods with no worry in the world. They did a test drive after some work and actually scraped one of my brand new 20" forged wheels. I didn't go balistic. **** happens. They offered to fix it or replace it. I simply asked them to make it right and they did.

I'll tell you what though. The next time I go there for service, they will make sure they take good care of me for not being such an *** like you.

It's just a car. If you are that paranoid about it, either don't buy one or leave it parked in your garage.

Your other option. Since you don't like having dope smoking techs working on your car, you should start classes at UTI or Wyotech so you can fix your own car. That way you can assure yourself that no joy rides were taken

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mileage IN/OUT Doesnt match service invoice