997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New Mods Ordered --Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:09 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
New Mods Ordered --Questions

Edited my post more times than I can imagine .

1) I am confused on the Techart steering wheel . If I get OEM carbon and Techart CF steering wheel Type 1 sport , shiny clearcoat --will this match ?

2) Is the "sport shifter" from the factory an aluminum shift **** ? Mine looks alluminum .

3) If I opt for carbon shift and brake --is it just too much .

I am getting the plenum .

The interior choices are so hard to figure out for me . I did order the CF interior trim for the vents and trim. The stack I wil leave unchanged.

If I sound confused about the remaining choices --I am.

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-12-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I can help you with all your quesitons.

1) When you order your Techart type 1 steering wheel with leather/carbon fiber, you have to be SURE to tell them, no techart logo, oem color matched stitching (not matched to color of leather), carbon fiber clearcoat shiny smooth finish (as opposed to matte finish). The smooth shiny clearcoat finish matches the OEM CF pieces.

2) The 'sportshifter' option is NOT the aluminum shift ****. The sportshifter option is so that the throws between gears are shorter than they normally would be if you didn't get this option. Completely separate from the finish of your shift ****. The OEM shift **** that comes with the car is actually painted in an "aluminum-look" color and is not real aluminum. The only way you can get real aluminum is if you were to go with the DAD shift **** and also comes with an aluminum e-brake handle as seen below:

Or EGA (which is also real aluminum and is what I have)

IMHO, the CF shift **** isn't worth it. It has the CF trim along with the fake aluminum-look paint and the e-brake handle doesn't look good (IMHO of course). I replaced both of mine with the EGA shift ****.

Hope that helps to answer all your questions.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:28 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I am so glad you answered . I knew that the shorter throw was the function but I could not figure out why my shifter looks aluminum and you hit the nail on the head .

My center stack is alumium . I guess I have to replace it with leather with the carbon vents ? Unless I just go aluminum and get a non CF wheel. I thought it might match the seat backs and shifter that you showed me .

Your photos and advice has been so helpful . Thank you so much.

The choices are so tough.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I have the carbon shifter and it feels like crap. Very cheap. The 'carbon' flexes and creaks....wont be keeping it much longer.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:07 PM
I wrested with the many choices all night and decided to cancel the carbon fiber entirely . It was simply not worth both the headache and expense to dismatle my dash and pay thousands which could be spent on tthings like the Steering Wheel and shifter which I can have hands on driving with as well as the engine .

I do appreciate the replies.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Atomic, what is the process on the removal of the shifter ****? I might be looking to change mine out.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Are you asking me how to take the shift **** off? It's pretty easy from what I understand. Remove the bottom leather boot off by pulling upwards around the edges and then pull the **** straight up. Now, that's how I think it's done. I've never done it myself but I've heard from others who have. I had the shop do it for me. I'd double check with someone who knows how to do it before actually doing it. And of course WATCH YOUR HEAD! Don't want to knock yourself out!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I wrested with the many choices all night and decided to cancel the carbon fiber entirely . It was simply not worth both the headache and expense to dismatle my dash and pay thousands which could be spent on tthings like the Steering Wheel and shifter which I can have hands on driving with as well as the engine .

I do appreciate the replies.
Good choice, Larry. I made a few choice changes such as the shift ****, ebrake, the mirror triangles and a couple other leather pieces but that's it. I'm not willing to spend thousands on interior pieces as you were about to do. Those funds are much better spent on enhancing the performance aspects. You definitely can't go wrong there!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Hi again Larry! Funny we were just discussing mods and here you are talking to Jason. Jason (atomic80) is the best and can help you empty your wallet real fast! Jason actually was kind enough to meet me and go through the options for my TT order last fall. I could not have done it without him. His car is incredible - and he is a wealth of knowledge. You can't go wrong with his advice. Good luck!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Oh you...Greta!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gretapass
Hi again Larry! Funny we were just discussing mods and here you are talking to Jason. Jason (atomic80) is the best and can help you empty your wallet real fast! Jason actually was kind enough to meet me and go through the options for my TT order last fall. I could not have done it without him. His car is incredible - and he is a wealth of knowledge. You can't go wrong with his advice. Good luck!

+1, +2 & +3

Old 03-17-2008, 08:45 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by atomic80
Oh you...Greta!
I like the new avatar Jason - your car looks like a toy!

Old 03-03-2012, 03:11 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by atomic80

I hate to bring back an old thread, but does anyone know who sells this Shift ****? I believe it is an ECA although the Caption says EGA.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 PM
You can get that from Suncoast Porsche. But It looks like it's called the X97 kit
X97 Shift **** Kit