997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Headlight/Foglight upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Cobraa77 is infamous around these parts
Headlight/Foglight upgrade

Has anyone upgraded their 997 fog's to HID? I want to upgrade the headlights to a 6000k light and the fogs to 6000k HID so they match.

What bulb is used for the fogs and the headlights?

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 PM
RAY in Pa. is infamous around these parts
Foglights

Well that's a huge can of worms you've just opened. This topic has been beaten to death about 5 months ago. A few guys got melted housing lights from hot aftermarket bulbs. You may want to research threads submitted by Jason. (atomic 80).

Old 03-13-2008, 07:25 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
I did swap out my lowbeam headlight bulbs to 6000k HID bulbs and those worked fine. I didn't put in HID foglights but I believe ALPINE_997 did. Do a search on that. I can't remember off the top of my head what bulbs the foglights use but I'd strongly recommend AGAINSt swapping those out. It's not worth the hassle of having to deal with melted light housings. BTW, it was the aftermarket parking lightbulb that melted my turn signal housing. The one from Hoen so I'd avoid them at all costs even for the foglight bulbs too.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
fog light bulb is an H3. The Hoens are the best match bar non. While Atomic had a bad experience with the W5W city light to Hoens credit its not designed for that application but rather city lights in headlight assemblies (which handle higher heat).

The LED cluster we have on the Turbos is small, does not dissipate heat at all and also has a plastic lens smack in front that will heat up in no time. In short, dont mess with those with any bulb.

high beam is H11 (supplemental), but I would not suggest swapping that out as the blue bulbs reflect off the lens and it looks like crap.

The fog is also a projector lens and a xenon look bulb works fantastic from the pics I have seen. I took a peek at mine but I have no clue how to install so will let the dealer ding me for an hour or two labor.

Headlight is a D2S bulb, if you get 6k you will be hard pressed to find a matching fog light bulb. The only bulb I would suggest in the low beam is the Philips Ultinon, still reduces a bit of lumens but a great color not too blue or purple like the cheapo bulbs.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I changed mine out and they match very well but at night its more apparent of the slight blue color. The fogs are H3 HID 6000K 35W by APEX CONE. The low beams are 6000K as well.

here is the pic at the Octane and Coffee meet. I will take night shots soon. Thank you for who ever took this shot I was too lazy to bring out camera.

Last edited by ALPINE_997; 03-14-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by atomic80
I did swap out my lowbeam headlight bulbs to 6000k HID bulbs and those worked fine. I didn't put in HID foglights but I believe ALPINE_997 did. Do a search on that. I can't remember off the top of my head what bulbs the foglights use but I'd strongly recommend AGAINSt swapping those out. It's not worth the hassle of having to deal with melted light housings. BTW, it was the aftermarket parking lightbulb that melted my turn signal housing. The one from Hoen so I'd avoid them at all costs even for the foglight bulbs too.

I would take Jasons advice and not use ANY bulbs that are not stock for the plastic turn signals in the front unless you want to fork out over $400 for the part + installation (you need to remove the entire front bumper to change it out). This is what will happen (I have since put all my stock bulbs back) the LED type are not hot but your computer will tell you to replace it every time you start up the car. I learned the hard way:

Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gradyex
I learned the hard way:
Nasty...