997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

R&T: GT-R vs ZO6 vs 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Indykid
Now how do you figure that? I don't get the translation? Gold digger? Because some people would rather have the finer things in life is a good thing, especially when you work your ***** off to get something for yourself it helps you learn to apperciate things of a higher calibur.

There is difference between enjoying finer things in life and being an snob. Just because you are fortunate enough to buy finer things doesn't mean you should look down on people who can't. Or in this case people who buy Nissan.

If a girl looks at your car and decides to date you or not, I say she is gold digger. If she likes you, it shouldn't matter if you drove Honda or BMW.

Last edited by Akira; 03-19-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I don't get the translation? Gold digger? Because some people would rather have the finer things in life is a good thing, especially when you work your ***** off to get something for yourself it helps you learn to apperciate things of a higher calibur.
You're wife is frowning upon a product because of it's manufacturing label instead of judging the product based on merit. You're also making the assumption that Porsche's are "of a higher caliber." Again, based on label, not not merit. Tisk, tisk to you...you give Porsche owners a bad name.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Akira
There is difference between enjoying finer things in life and being an snob. Just because you are fortunate enough to buy finer things doesn't mean you should look down on people who can't. Or in this case people who buy Nissan.

If a girl looks at your car and decides to date you or not, I say she is gold digger. If she likes you, is shouldn't matter if you drove Honda or BMW.
You are assuming and trying to validate, and by your response I believe you to be younger and single.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Indykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the roughIndykid is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bbywu
You're wife is frowning upon a product because of it's manufacturing label instead of judging the product based on merit. You're also making the assumption that Porsche's are "of a higher caliber." Again, based on label, not not merit. Tisk, tisk to you...you give Porsche owners a bad name.
Wrong again sir, it's the interior and the fact that they are not visually appealing.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:21 PM
airflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant futureairflite1 has a brilliant future
Notice how all the GT-R threads turn into name calling quicker with each thread. Indykid we need pictures to decide if she's a Goolddigger!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 PM
godspd is a jewel in the roughgodspd is a jewel in the roughgodspd is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
so basically, the gtr is REALLY putting out more like 540-550 hp, yet still cant compete in a straight with the 997TT but on the track it can.
Hi everyone new to the Forum.

A lot of confusion about the real power output of the GTR but hopefully Edmunds has cleared that up. As you can see it makes the same power as the Turbo, the difference is how it puts it to use.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125172

Old 03-19-2008, 09:43 PM
godspd is a jewel in the roughgodspd is a jewel in the roughgodspd is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RiceEater
No inconsistencies, huh?

Dyno showing 475hp at hubs=550hp crank
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...p-at-the-hubs/

Dyno showing 406whp indicative of 480hp
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do....photopanel..1

Nissan's video of a "stock" GTR doing 7:38 on the 'Ring vs Sport Auto's time of 7:50.

Like I said, buyer beware.
I suggest you read the full article on Edmunds. 452 at the "Hubs" and 406 at the "wheels" that is the difference and the confusion between a rolling dyno and a hub dyno.

7:50 by Sport Auto was not their Super Test and track was also wet in many places.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Scryer_360 is infamous around these parts
Once again to HeavyChevy: you ignore that the MC12 is faster than the Enzo in some cases, despite being heavier and wider. You instantly fall back on horsepower and weight, caring little for how much speed the car carries in corners or the oodles of other factors that make a car go fast around a circuit.

We all agree that the GT-R is only a few MPH behind the 997TT or Z06 in the straights. On tracks, though, the corners are where you lose most of your speed (duh) and where a car really shines. Those who can keep most of their speed through the corners, maintain traction and exit the corner faster will win.

If you were at a circle track, the Z06 would beat these cars anyday. If you had lots of in and out, sharp, quick turns, the Porsche has many advantages. But on a normal track, where consistency and higher speeds through turns counts, the GT-R does stand a chance.

And as to your vaunted experience, I have this to say about it. A long time ago, when I was still a teen, I knew a guy who swore up and down he was going to sue GM. He said that he had been building 350V8s for years, and there was no way, ABSOLUTELY no way, that you could build more than 300hp on the 350 V8 if you were using fuel injection and no supercharger. He'd sue because GM advertised crate engines with fuel injection and 350 hp on the 350 V8. How did he "know?" Because he had built one up with injection, several times over two years, and never got more than 300 hp out of it. His experience, he said, proved he was right.

I had little doubt he'd actually sue, but one day, I walked with him to his shop and he showed me his "expertly setup" engine. And it only did make a little under 300hp. I wanted to tinker with it, but he forbid me (using some rather harsh language) and then went to unpack his carb setup for the engine so he could show me that he could easily make 350 hp on it that way. While he wasn't looking, I looked at the wiring harness and the injectors. He simply did not have them installed right, and the injectors were to small. He also had the wrong spark plugs, but that wasn't to big of deal. It was a 30 minute fix: he came back down, and I re-ran the dyno for him. Boom. 350 hp. Exactly as GM said it would once setup properly. He looked at me like I was the devil, then I hauled *** out of there while he cursed me for touching his dyno "without him there" (he dropped a lot of money on it).

The point of the story is, you can have all the experience in the world, but if it makes you arrogant, and/or you do not learn from your experience, then the experience means nothing. Just because you do something a thousand times with the same result doesn't mean you did it right in the first place. In your case, you seem to have tons of experience, but its made you nothing short of arrogant, worse its blinded you to other factors that come into play. Experience-learning from it = absolutely nothing. Experience + learning from it = varying effects.

Once again, lets leave the GT-R discussion for a moment, explain to me how the Maserati MC12, which is heavier and wider than the Enzo, can run faster than the Enzo? Under an expert drivers handling, which eliminates the possibility of drivers error? Its clearly done it before, which means there is far more at work than just horsepower and weight.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Wrong again sir, it's the interior and the fact that they are not visually appealing.
I'm using YOUR words from YOUR post.

You said: "Because some people would rather have the finer things in life is a good thing, especially when you work your ***** off to get something for yourself it helps you learn to apperciate things of a higher calibur."

In your WIFE's words: "who cares it's a Nissan"

Now you're backtracking and saying that it's the interior and ugly. The intent of your post was perfectly clear. There's nothing else to say.

Last edited by bbywu; 03-19-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 PM
techer is infamous around these parts
Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 PM
Akira has a spectacular aura aboutAkira has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by techer
Normally I would ignore this type of post, but since I know who you are I'll comment. Steve Millen did not sandbag. Steve has been a trusted friend of this magazine for years. The fact that he's won endurance races at Sebring, Daytona and LeMans should be enough qualifications, but if in doubt he's won plenty others. Steve gets paid to go fast consistantly, never to go slow.

As for his ties with Nissan, I doubt he would have anything to gain by lieing about a product. He surely didn't when he drove a 350Z for us back in 2005 during the Best All-Around Sports Car story.

When I first heard the results of the GT-R test I had a similar reaction you did. That of "no way" is the GT-R 5-seconds a lap quicker! Having the resources to look at the collected GPS data I proceeded to explore what happened. Turns out the GT-R has better tires and the AWD technology to put them to use. Lots of other factors, but I assure you Steve didn't hold back in the Z06. Nothing in the data would suggest that. The fact that the 911 Turbo and Z06 ran nearly identical times is as expected from all previous testing of the two cars.

If this vouching is not enough look up what Chris Harris of Auto Car thinks in a comparison he did with the Porsche GT3, M3 and GT-R. Guess who's quicker?

Best,
-Shaun

P.S. If I'm wrong Motonishi-san can have my job.
From the editor of the R&T. I think this is enough proof for me.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I'm pretty sure that Jason and heavychevy are not one and the same.

IIRC Jason is an auto-x guru from California.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:52 AM
monaroCountry is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Akira
http://forums.roadandtrack.com/cars/...&thread.id=138

From the editor of R&T

"Normally I would ignore this type of post, but since I know who you are I'll comment. Steve Millen did not sandbag. Steve has been a trusted friend of this magazine for years. The fact that he's won endurance races at Sebring, Daytona and LeMans should be enough qualifications, but if in doubt he's won plenty others. Steve gets paid to go fast consistantly, never to go slow.

As for his ties with Nissan, I doubt he would have anything to gain by lieing about a product. He surely didn't when he drove a 350Z for us back in 2005 during the Best All-Around Sports Car story.

When I first heard the results of the GT-R test I had a similar reaction you did. That of "no way" is the GT-R 5-seconds a lap quicker! Having the resources to look at the collected GPS data I proceeded to explore what happened. Turns out the GT-R has better tires and the AWD technology to put them to use. Lots of other factors, but I assure you Steve didn't hold back in the Z06. Nothing in the data would suggest that. The fact that the 911 Turbo and Z06 ran nearly identical times is as expected from all previous testing of the two cars.

Best,
-Shaun

P.S. If I'm wrong Motonishi-san can have my job."

I disagree with the editor........especially with the extremely slow lap set by the ZO6 around Buttonwillow. I would say that a driver mod is in order. Hopefully not an ex Nissan factory driver and ex Nissan factory racer. As for the comment on nothing to be gained, again Steve Millen owns a company and guess what............they are currently holding their 12th Annual Nissan/Infinity Appreciation Day

NOTHING TO BE GAINED?

IDENTICAL TIMES?

From Automotorsport around Mantorp Park's short (1.950 km/1.212 mile) configuration

and another

From:http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...p_2007_feature

Caranddriver The Lightning Lap at VIR, 2007

2007 Corvette ZO6 - 2:58.2
2007 Porsche 911 GT3 - 3:01.8
2007 Chevrolet Corvette - 3:03.6
2007 Porsche 911 Turbo - 3:05.8

Last edited by monaroCountry; 03-20-2008 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu

Now you're backtracking and saying that it's the interior and ugly. The intent of your post was perfectly clear. There's nothing else to say.
Well sorry there internet cop, let me change that post to include "its just a Nissan that is ugly and the interior is not that nice" Is there anything else you would like me to add. I'll just do this so you can understand. Porshce>Nissan, now there is nothing left to say. lol

Last edited by Indykid; 03-20-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Maibox is infamous around these parts
Let me ask this. Looking at the track, how many shifts per lap (up and down)? Probably .1 -.3 seconds per shift difference with the trick tranny in the GTR, and with it carrying more speed in the corners, that can add up quick.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R&T: GT-R vs ZO6 vs 911