997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

R&T: GT-R vs ZO6 vs 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Scryer_360 is infamous around these parts
[quote=heavychevy;1753796]
Any GT-R fanboys that are actually going to get one?

And of those who will get one, any good drivers?
/quote]

Old 03-24-2008, 07:04 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Cool, bring it to VIR next year for the Zone 2 PCA event.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 PM
No no, hell I'm not getting one (I could have a M3 for the same money, or buy a 328i and use the rest to fund a rather lavish vacation), I was smiling about the second sentence.

Good luck finding decent drivers for it amongst all the boy racers who are snatching it up.

The better race is find one, stick two of our best here at 6speed on the track with an 997 GT3 and then a TT, and see what happens.

Last edited by Scryer_360; 03-24-2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: redunant typing, grammar
Old 03-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Then again, at the very beginning of this, the thread that won't die, didn't turbodickie say he was buying a GT-R and a ZR1 to do some comparo in? TD, are you out there?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:19 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I'm a 911 owner that is considering a GT-R. I'm not loyal to any particular marque. I can find something to love in most performance cars.

Am I a really good driver? No - but I'm not a complete hack either. I've won a couple of local championships (auto-x) and an SCCA Club Trial (Solo 1)

No door to door racing experience yet - just DEs (although I'm going to run in the 24 Hours of LeMons in May

We'll see what happens if I can find one @ MSRP (which doesn't look to be likely at this point)

I don't plan on making a track only toy - I would sell the S4 and S2000 and use is for a daily.

For a track only toy I think I'd go with an Exige S.

The fanboism on both sides of this arguement are really kind of embarassing to be honest.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Now thats a race I want to see, an Exige versus a GT-R.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Scryer_360
Exige? Or Exige 240S

Old 03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Are you serious?

Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Why wouldn't I be? It'd be the perfect contrasts: its Muhammed Ali versus George Forman all over again, only the Exige doesn't get old so unlike Ali was its still bloody quick.

We'd have the Power Piggy GT-R versus the "chicken from Rocky I" Exige. The Exige will handle oodles better than the GT-R (it out-handles just about anything) but could it get around the GT-R? The GT-R probably has a faster 0-60 and quarter, and I know the Roush Mustang almost beat the Exige in race Jeremy Clarkson ran apparently (the Roush just didn't stay put though and when it went off the track, the Exige got around it).

Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
Wow. Reading this entire thread takes more effort than English Lit in College! A couple of random comments:

1.) The 911 Design is timeless and will evolve for many more years. Though I own three older 911's, I don't just drink the "911 Cool-Aid". I am a big fan of the Boxster/Cayman platforms.

2.) The Carrera GT was really Porsche's attempt to recoup R&D expenses for the F1 program that was cancelled. Yes, I like the Carrera GT's and would take one over an Enzo, though it's a poor investment vs. a Ferrari, the car has no real lineage with Porsche. It's similiar to the Z8 w/BMW. Cool car but no real historical link (not good or bad, just the way it is).

3.) The GT-R is revising the Japanese strategy that took European business 25-30 yrs ago (RX-7 took 911 business; 240Z took multiple lines of Euro cars business; Lexus took Mercedes, etc.). The staying power of the past Japanese cars isn't as strong as the Porsche or BMW brands. With the newer generation hailing the Skyline as their holy car, maybe that will change in the next 20-30 yrs. Time will tell but as it stands, Porsche has a 43 year head-start.

4.) Stats are fun to compare. Porsche always understates their 0-60 times, not sure about Nissan. Until you get a car on the track and run it hard for 1-3 hours, it's hard to know how the car will really hold up. That is the true test of a "sports car", in my opinion. I'll take a GT3 off the dealer's lot and take it to track and it'll run for hours with little to no brake fad. Stats are great until you realize the brakes fad quickly and stopping at 160 mph becomes pretty important in evaluating a car's performance.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:12 PM
DHinkle brings up another good point w/ No. 4. While the GT-Rs brakes will undoubtedly last longer than the M3's (a car that is often thrown into this mix for fun), the TT and GT3's brakes will go an aeon longer than the GT-R. I don't know what brakes on the GT-R for sure but I think I read 4 piston someplace, where as the P cars are using 6 piston. Add lighter car versus heavier car into the mix, and yet another small victory for the P car.

I would like to re-affirm my support for the GT-R though. Regardless of the fact that in the end, the GT-R may never earn a lap off the TT, the GT-R has still done what it was expected to do: run in the TT's league. So maybe the magazines have posted rigged times (I don't think thats the case but lets say it was), the GT-R can't be that much slower based on what we have seen. For less than half the cost you can get performance that will at least stick on the edge of the 997 TT, and has much more utility.

Just imagine if someone were to take the greatest performance mod of all to this car: the free one. Get rid of the stereo, back seat, all the dead weight of the car, and bring it down just 100lbs. That changes things a lot I'd bet. Start adding a few dollars to remove more weight (lightweight bodykit to replace some of the current kit, maybe lightweight exhaust and headers, new cats), and shave another 100-200lbs. Now what do you have?

The TT is already pretty Spartan, not GT3 Spartan but its not so full of kit. There isn't much to hack off it. The GT-R can lose weight seemingly everywhere though.

I doubt it'd be long before we see someone shave 400lbs off this car. Then what happens? If it can indeed carry more speed in the corners, and now all that weight is off its shoulders, imagine the performance then. And you'd still of not paid the money for the TT by the time you are done.

Is the P car finished? No. Not by a long shot. But then again even General Motors manages to sell cars when someone beats them (even after a long time). The GT-R is a new era. Things only go up from here.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Banned
240ka is infamous around these parts
I would like to re-affirm my support for the GT-R though. Regardless of the fact that in the end, the GT-R may never earn a lap off the TT, the GT-R has still done what it was expected to do: run in the TT's league. So maybe the magazines have posted rigged times (I don't think thats the case but lets say it was), the GT-R can't be that much slower based on what we have seen. For less than half the cost you can get performance that will at least stick on the edge of the 997 TT, and has much more utility.

all i can say is just "wow" to this haha

its funny how some of you are now starting to claim the GT-R wouldnt be able to get around the 911 TT on the track now. haha

for SOME of you the excuses are just endless

Last edited by 240ka; 03-25-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Spyderidol is infamous around these parts
[quote=DHinkle;1754153 2.) The Carrera GT was really Porsche's attempt to recoup R&D expenses for the F1 program that was cancelled. [/quote]

Surely you mean the LMP program!
The Carrera GT engine was based on the V10 that was supposedly to be used on the planned LMP1 car (1999-2000). The engine had originally been conceived (in secrecy) to replace the F1 FV12 Footwork in 1992.
The F1 engine was only the basis for this new endurance engine that was developed. Given the lightweight and the compact nature of the V10, it was the perfect starting point for a new LMP power plant. The engine was increased in capacity with possibilities for both 5.0 and 5.5 liters configurations through an increase in stroke and a slight increase in bore. The ACO mandated engine intake restrictors made the pneumatic valve system of the F1 engine redundant (with the inlet restrictors limiting revs by restricting airflow), so the system was discarded in order to fulfill the aim of longevity and simplicity of construction and maintenance. (Mulsanne's Corner)

Last edited by Spyderidol; 03-25-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
DHinkle brings up another good point w/ No. 4. While the GT-Rs brakes will undoubtedly last longer than the M3's (a car that is often thrown into this mix for fun), the TT and GT3's brakes will go an aeon longer than the GT-R. I don't know what brakes on the GT-R for sure but I think I read 4 piston someplace, where as the P cars are using 6 piston. Add lighter car versus heavier car into the mix, and yet another small victory for the P car.

Just imagine if someone were to take the greatest performance mod of all to this car: the free one. Get rid of the stereo, back seat, all the dead weight of the car, and bring it down just 100lbs. That changes things a lot I'd bet. Start adding a few dollars to remove more weight (lightweight bodykit to replace some of the current kit, maybe lightweight exhaust and headers, new cats), and shave another 100-200lbs. Now what do you have?

The TT is already pretty Spartan, not GT3 Spartan but its not so full of kit. There isn't much to hack off it. The GT-R can lose weight seemingly everywhere though.

I doubt it'd be long before we see someone shave 400lbs off this car. Then what happens? If it can indeed carry more speed in the corners, and now all that weight is off its shoulders, imagine the performance then. And you'd still of not paid the money for the TT by the time you are done.

Is the P car finished? No. Not by a long shot. But then again even General Motors manages to sell cars when someone beats them (even after a long time). The GT-R is a new era. Things only go up from here.

Actually the TT has a much better chance of losing weight than does the GT-R. The 19 inch wheels on the TT actually weigh more than the 20 inchers on the GT-R, the seats will weigh about the same if the TT's dont weigh more because of more insulation and better materials. Porsche seats are build like tanks, and weigh like them too. The back seats in the TT will probably be about as heavy too as there is metal and folding mechanisms in it.

I'm not sure if the 997 TT rwd can be removed but if so that's another 70+ lbs out and I highly doubt the GT-R could go without it. What makes the GT-R fast is all gadgets, the TT has a lesser dependancy on them. So lb for lb I beleive the TT could lose more weight than the GT-R. The GT-R also has monobloc calipers, and unless you have PCCB on the TT, the brakes are heavier too. Aside from that, there is no weight to be lost in the GT-R. And finally I dont know if the TT has a spare like the 996 TT does, but if so, that's an easy 50lbs as well.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:59 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Hey Dez, check out the 997 Turbo section. Have fun!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R&T: GT-R vs ZO6 vs 911