997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

R&T: GT-R vs ZO6 vs 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony (FL)
Since when are Dunlop SP 600 tires, cup tires? It says they are Max performance tires on Tire Rack's website. Definitely NOT cup tires.
I stand corrected, Tony.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:52 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
The GT2 is already on par with CGT performance. The anticipated onslaught from HeavyC will come like the angry fist of GOD himself....
Nice

Old 03-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Akira
Very true, but only in brand image. It use to be true for both brand image AND performance. Not anymore, that is why there is so much denial about GTR's performance in the past couple of months.
You realize though, Nissan had a slight advantage over the 997 TT in that the GT-R was still in development when the 997 TT came out. We'll have to see how Porsche responds.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Akira
Lap Times:

911 Turbo - 2:02.1
Z06 - 2:02.2
GTR - 1:56.9

Over 5 seconds faster than ZO6 and Turbo... I knew GTR was going to be faster but I wasn't expecting 5 seconds difference.

The lap times by Steve Millen. But I am sure someone would still say the "driver didn't know how to drive..."

Steve Millen has been under contract with Nissan, raced them to record winnings in IMSA, do you think he had a favorite??????

Couldnt be.

5 seconds is garbage, especially when the GT-R got raped in a straight line by both cars. But I guess the fanboys will ignore that part.

Who was it I was arguing about that the GT-R would start trapping 116-118 more than 121? Oh yeah, he got banned.

Not only that these cars arent even U.S. Legal, they are media mules to be demolished after testing.

So one asks himself, how does Nissan manage to get one of it's retired superstar factory drivers to drive for Road and Track to make their halo car look good. Like I said, all out media assault.

Objections?

Anyone, Bueller?

One also asks themselves how a professional race car driver from IMSA can run a second slower in a Z06 than mag editors from Car and Driver?

Anyone,............Bueller,..............Nissan?

Last edited by heavychevy; 03-19-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 PM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts
+1 great points. These GTR "ringers" and media cars have got to be put to rest.

Nissan claims the GTR can do a 7:38 on the 'Ring. Sport Auto drives one around, and its 12 seconds slower!!! 7:50!?!?!

In this article, a known Nissan guy who has historically had trouble with Porsche's (see all his other remarks and lap times with the Turbo) takes a GTR and just kills it around the track!

This type of media sensationalism is ridiculous. I can't wait til we have another test with a real US Spec production car with REAL drivers with no biases.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Steve Millen has been under contract with Nissan, raced them to record winnings in IMSA, do you think he had a favorite??????

Couldnt be.

5 seconds is garbage, especially when the GT-R got raped in a straight line by both cars. But I guess the fanboys will ignore that part.

Who was it I was arguing about that the GT-R would start trapping 116-118 more than 121? Oh yeah, he got banned.

Not only that these cars arent even U.S. Legal, they are media mules to be demolished after testing.

So one asks himself, how does Nissan manage to get one of it's retired superstar factory drivers to drive for Road and Track to make their halo car look good. Like I said, all out media assault.

Objections?

Anyone, Bueller?

One also asks themselves how a professional race car driver from IMSA can run a second slower in a Z06 than mag editors from Car and Driver?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
dblock06 is infamous around these parts
This car is US Spec, isn't it?

Same exact car that is going to the Nissan Dealerships in June is what I thought.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Brett B is infamous around these parts

Couldnt be.

Objections?

Anyone, Bueller?

I hate to interrupt your conspiracy theory here, but Steve Millen has been a test driver for Road & Track reviews for years. Take this article for example, not one single Nissan in the lineup, yet R&T used Steve Millen as their test driver for all of the cars:
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/01/h...in-0-200-dash/

And don’t forget this one from 2005:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1949
Strange, the Corvette gets 1st, the Porsche’s get 2nd and 3rd place, while the Nissan in that test only gets 8th place. By your theory, shouldn't the Nissan have won since clearly it is his "favorite"?

Looks like they even called on Millen back in 2002 when testing the F40, F1, and 959:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....article_id=392

And yes, Millen drove Nissans in IMSA, but in the ~40 years since he began his professional racing career, he has also driven for the following manufacturers:
Jaguar
BMW
Ford
Triumph
GM
Toyota
And last but not least
Porsche
http://www.stillen.com/page.asp?heritage1

BTW, here is an interesting part of his career from '79:

Professional driver for General Motors Dealer Team

Looks like the Z06 should have beaten the Porsche by 5 seconds in this test as well, since he was at one time employed directly by GM.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:56 PM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dblock06
This car is US Spec, isn't it?

Same exact car that is going to the Nissan Dealerships in June is what I thought.
It's not proven US Spec production until either you or I can go into the dealership and drive one out.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
^Brett B., Thank you!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by RiceEater
It's not proven US Spec production until either you or I can go into the dealership and drive one out.

True, but with the results. There is nothing suprising. It isn't even making more than 480 HP like it did overseas. It got demolished by the Z06 in the 1/4th and lost to the Porsche in overboost mode. We'll just have to *confirm* the results once they start getting the hands to Americans in June/July.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Banned
240ka is infamous around these parts
I was actually wrong, the US Spec cars are not making as much HP as they were overseas. I would say the GT-R in US Spec is making around 480-490 crank HP. From the dynos from the UK and Japan, it was making around 550 but I guess they modified something for the US.

actually there hasnt been anything said or any literature showing the US spec and Jap Spec cars are different in terms of performance stats and specs.

what is different is the fact that the US spec GT-R's will not have speedlimiters like the J-spec ones. and reportedly the suspension is supposed to be a little softer on US models b/c of our roads

and the JSpec GT-R's put out 520hp at the engine. what we dont know is if this is before or after break in

Old 03-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
^I'm sure alot of it has to do with the octane rating of fuel available in that market compared to that of the U.S.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by 240ka
actually there hasnt been anything said or any literature showing the US spec and Jap Spec cars are different in terms of performance stats and specs.

what is different is the fact that the US spec GT-R's will not have speedlimiters like the J-spec ones. and reportedly the suspension is supposed to be a little softer on US models b/c of our roads

and the JSpec GT-R's put out 520hp at the engine. what we dont know is if this is before or after break in

Well, to this article, it certainly isn't putting out the same numbers as the J-Spec. This one trapped 116 MPH and the J-Spec ones have trapped 121 haven't they?

Edit: Good call on the fuel, im sure that could make the difference possibly.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Banned

Couldnt be.

Objections?

Anyone, Bueller?

and here he goes. the onslaught of EXCUSES from MR hevy himself.

everyone can i please introduce Mr. Heavy "EXCUSE MACHINE MAKING" Chevy

Old 03-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Banned
Well, to this article, it certainly isn't putting out the same numbers as the J-Spec. This one trapped 116 MPH and the J-Spec ones have trapped 121 haven't they?

Edit: Good call on the fuel, im sure that could make the difference possibly.

you are right, im not not quite sure. b/c the Jspec GT-R hits 121-122 in the 1/4 without Speedlimiter and showed to hit around 111mph with.

so i wonder what is going on. if this is without speedlimter and only hitting 116mph. either the US market is getting jipt with US spec GT-R's or he wasnt pushing it or something. Im not sure though.

could be fuel, not broken in totaly so hhe's not wanting it to push it too hard. but im not sure

Last edited by 240ka; 03-19-2008 at 01:10 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R&T: GT-R vs ZO6 vs 911