997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

IPD Plenum, Where's the Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:25 AM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
IPD Plenum, Where's the Horsepower?

I had the plenum installed last week. I just noticed on page 63 of the May issue of Excellence magazine RSS has an ad that claims "dyno proven bolt on power" will increase horsepower by 35 HP!

I already have the Cargraphic exhaust that was supposed to give me a 20 HP boost, so now I should have 535 HP right? WRONG!

Something doesn't add up here. The plenum by itself would be hard pressed to add 1 HP. I suppose, if I were to reflash the ECU, I might see those kind of numbers on a dyno, but I would question the value of such modifications for a street application.

Buyer beware!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
This is what AWE is saying. I'd love to see a person (individual owner) dyno before and after to see the exact differences. Companies will say anything so sell their products. Some are true some are not and some are exaggerated.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Periokid
This is what AWE is saying. I'd love to see a person (individual owner) dyno before and after to see the exact differences. Companies will say anything so sell their products. Some are true some are not and some are exaggerated.
Just for the record, we did state that about the plenum prototype that we fabricated.

I can't speak directly about the IPD unit as we did not test that one, and without having seen one in person I can't comment on how their design may differ from what we fabbed up.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
I had the plenum installed last week. I just noticed on page 63 of the May issue of Excellence magazine RSS has an ad that claims "dyno proven bolt on power" will increase horsepower by 35 HP!

I already have the Cargraphic exhaust that was supposed to give me a 20 HP boost, so now I should have 535 HP right? WRONG!

Something doesn't add up here. The plenum by itself would be hard pressed to add 1 HP. I suppose, if I were to reflash the ECU, I might see those kind of numbers on a dyno, but I would question the value of such modifications for a street application.

Buyer beware!
So let me get this straight. If I own a Acura RSX, add a Magnaflow exhaust for 15HP, an Injen CAI for 18HP, and a throttle body for 12HP, I should end up with an additional 45?

Since when do we simply add manufacturer HP numbers together to measure power gains? Come on, now...

Old 03-19-2008, 01:35 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Humm,

by IPD's own dynos there is shown a gain of power under the curve in the low and midrange with gains tapering to zero at peak hp. It makes sense because the total max airflow is not going to change, but rather flow more efficiently in the midrange.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:37 PM
RiceEater is infamous around these parts
Thank you for sharing your honest opinion.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Banned
RSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond repute
997 Turbo Plenum Response

Greetings 6 Speeders and Humm 3,<o></o>
<o></o>
We have sold 83 997 Turbo plenums to date and have received only positive reviews, many of which have been dyno substantiated. <o></o>
<o></o>
The 997 Turbo has a very unique electronic system that seems to have a mind of its own. We have seen power gains from 26 to 42 horsepower depending on the car, mods and driver. The 997 Turbo requires an exceptional amount of time for the DME to “adapt” to the increase air flow provided by the IPD plenum. It also seems that the cars that are driven harder tend to be realizing greater gains. The gains may vary but there are definite gains from the IPD plenum. Again, the plenums are the single best performance mod you can possible install on a late model Porsche when it comes to bang for the buck. <o></o>
<o></o>
Below is the most recent dyno test from an independent customer who did a baseline test then drove the cars until the DME was fully adapted. He is scheduled to dyno the car again after driving some more miles just to see if there are any other additional improvements. <o></o>
<o></o>
Regardless, we offer a 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with any of the IPD plenums.<o></o>
<o></o>
Cheers,<o></o>
Greg

<o>></o>>

Old 03-19-2008, 01:56 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Um HP cant be added up like simple math 480+20+35=535.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:29 PM
RTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura about
It's interesting that although advertised to increase HP it does even more to increase Max Torque............. 48ft/lbs increase is huge.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Larry

Unless you dyno the car before and after the modification how can you know?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM is infamous around these parts
Hi HUMMM 3, We like to do a soft rest on the DME. Then do full throttle blasts in 2nd and 3rd from 1500-2000 rpm to red line to let the DME read the data from the wide band and adjust as needed. But as all ways the DME will re-tune to suit your driving habits. I am not telling you to go breaking the speed limits but you can drive full load to you reach the speed limit.
Tim

Originally Posted by HUMMM 3

Buyer beware!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:43 PM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Todd/AWE and Greg/RSS both stand up guys and so are their products.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I ordered the plenum based on the impressive comparison photos next to stock posted on the forum. I have read the charts too.

I have set my expectations within reason and simply hope that it provides a little more zing in the midrange as a compliment addition to my current setup .

As soon as I get it on the car and drive it a bit I can comment further.

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-19-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Thanks guys, I feel a lot better now. I guess I had set my expectations to high.

Greg, if you think I'm going to send back my plenum, you got another think comin' partner!

Larry

Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
hey larry, it's always good to get a baseline first so you know what you're comparing the number you got after the install... Either way I think there's a lot of independant dynos showing some good gains in TQ/HP floating around (before and after's). Pretty cool that RSS has a money back garantuee like that anyways (Speaks volumes).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IPD Plenum, Where's the Horsepower?