997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How can I tell if Sport Chrono Overboost Works?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Emor8t is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Barrister
Huh? It doesn't take any longer to check the boost gauge than it does to check the tachometer when switching gears - or do you do that by using the force?

Umm... you still have to look at the tach to know when to switch gears? I'm with the other guy, when the pedal is down my eyes are on the road, my ears let me know when to shift.

I can't imagine going WOT in a car with twice as much power as mine and taking my eyes off the road for a split second.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:23 PM
crd
crd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Emor8t

I can't imagine going WOT in a car with twice as much power as mine and taking my eyes off the road for a split second.
Hey, come on, guys. I don't think anyone is suggesting glueing your eyes on the gauge then flooring it 1st gear. That would be simply stupid. Nor would it be wise to check overboost function on a sweeping turn.

Just like 2K7997TT said, get on the freeway or any other open road, get up to 50-60 in 6th gear, mash it. Don't worry, even 480 HP is not going to get out of your control. Under such a load, the turbos should try to spool up maximally and you should notice the little up arrow.

If you have any concerns, let the dealer check it out for you.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Emor8t
Umm... you still have to look at the tach to know when to switch gears? I'm with the other guy, when the pedal is down my eyes are on the road, my ears let me know when to shift.

Yes young padawan. I see the force is strong with you.

As for me, and most others not schooled in the ways of the Jedi master-Mazda, I need to check my RPM gauge now and then. I think that may have been on Porsche's mind when they put it in the center and made it larger than the rest of the gauges. Leave it to Porsche to design a car for those of us with fewer metachlorians.

But I would never seek to defy your Jedi greatness . . .The force will be with you, always.

Last edited by Barrister; 03-23-2008 at 10:40 PM.