997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How can I tell if Sport Chrono Overboost Works?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:35 PM
il nino is infamous around these partsil nino is infamous around these parts
How can I tell if Sport Chrono Overboost Works?

I have no idea whether the overboost is working. I recently had to have a new alternator put in my 900 mile 08TT and I asked the tech how to tell if it is working and he said that no faults showed up on his scan so that supposedly means it is functioning. I have done full throttle acceleration runs in Sport mode with no indication nor any difference in the feel of the power.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:38 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Do you notice any throttle and suspension setting adjustment in the low throttle "sport" mode?

Old 03-22-2008, 04:39 PM
zman is infamous around these parts
With the sport button on, mash the gas to the floor. You should see a little arrow on the display by the boost gauge. Also you should notice the boost will be higher while in this mode especially when you do this in third or fourth gear.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:13 PM
CaneAndAbel is infamous around these parts
The boost should go to 1.2bar (17.4psi) instead of 1bar in the mid-range from 2100-4000rpm.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I look at the road when "mashing the pedal" rather than a boost bar but I can notice a immediate difference when pressing ther sport button with the settings. The suspension tightens up a bit and the throttle becomes more edgy .

At high throttle I am so busy looking at the road that my focus can not be directed at evaluating the boost .

All thoughts about the drive --I think about AFTER the sprint run .

My feeling is that if he is going to split hairs disecting 1.0 Vs 1.2 he may end up travelling too fast to react at high speed. What good is hitting a tree and saying "yep it was 1.2" ?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I look at the road when "mashing the pedal" rather than a boost bar but I can notice a immediate difference when pressing ther sport button with the settings. The suspension tightens up a bit and the throttle becomes more edgy .

At high throttle I am so busy looking at the road that my focus can not be directed at evaluating the boost .

All thoughts about the drive --I think about AFTER the sprint run .

My feeling is that if he is going to split hairs disecting 1.0 Vs 1.2 he may end up travelling too fast to react at high speed. What good is hitting a tree and saying "yep it was 1.2" ?
Huh? It doesn't take any longer to check the boost gauge than it does to check the tachometer when switching gears - or do you do that by using the force?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:13 PM
crd
crd is infamous around these parts
Hopefully, il nino will test his overboost function on a clear road with no traffic in the reasonable future. Under WOT, in Sport mode, it is easy to glance at the boost gauge for a second or two (really all you need is a few msec). Especially if you mash the throttle in 3rd or 4th gear. You will get overboost but the acceleration will not be as frantic as in 1st or 2nd, hence more time for a leisurely look at the gauge. I do it all the time.
Also, straight-line driving advised

I would definitely check this out. If it's not working right, must see dealer!

Old 03-22-2008, 07:15 PM
zman is infamous around these parts
I like mashing it in stop and go traffic!!!!! it gets the people around me very excited..LOL

Old 03-22-2008, 07:20 PM
cclarkporsche is infamous around these parts
the way i can tell if it works is when you idle the car and you push the button you can hear the sound of the engine change. you can hear It starts spinning the turbos faster

Old 03-22-2008, 08:05 PM
I read the replies . Keep in mind a simple glance at the gauge differs from focusing on it to test it.

My feeling is that if one is focusing on something he often ignores other things . Haven't you ever looked at a ding or slight imperfection --quite unnoticeable to others-- yet you see it above much of the car ?

Look --people have accidents usually in that moment of diverted attention. Some can crash at 30MPH pressing redial on a cell phone or searching for a radio station . The difference here is that he would travelling a lot faster.

In short if you guys all vote to make a the gauge the center of attention I respect your opinion but I tend to differ in mine.

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-22-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I read the replies . Keep in mind a simple glance at the gauge differs from focusing on it to test it.

My feeling is that if one is focusing on something he often ignores other things . Haven't you ever looked at a ding or slight imperfection --quite unnoticeable to others-- yet you see it above much of the car ?

Look --people have accidents usually in that moment of diverted attention. Some can crash at 30MPH pressing redial on a cell phone or searching for a radio station . The difference here is that he would travelling a lot faster.

In short if you guys all vote to make a the gauge the center of attention I respect your opinion but I tend to differ in mine.
And you could get struck by lightening or get eaten by a shark! Better stay out of the water dude.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:59 PM
2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough
Cruise on the freeway at 50-55 mph. Jam the stick into 6th and smash the accelerator to the floor. You will see an up arrow next to the boost level. You will have plenty of time to examine the arrow before hitting 70-80.

This also works well if you just want to hear the sound of the Turbos.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
If you don't feel it kicking in take it to dealer. Going from 1 to 1.2 bar should be percieved through your senses.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Porsh997TT is infamous around these parts
ummmm 1.2 bar!! I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS IN MY CAR!! max was 1.0 sport mode with a sport techart exhaust ( i laso tried fabspeed straight pipes). I feel the response quicker but no figures that i can really relay on. I live in Qatar sea level weather for the peast few months been very nice between 10-20C degrees...although i have been told by few people i raced that my car was so far the fastest 997TT they raced!

Old 03-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Porsh997TT is infamous around these parts
oooh forgot to mention an interesting story happened to me last night, i was on a traffic lights and guess what was 2 car ahead of a BUGATTI:-) the guy puts his Bugatti in sport mode to race me!! anyhow, we get off the traffic light, we are side to side i decided not to kick down and just enjoy the view of the Bugatti fly and vroooooooooooominggggggg the guy insisted for a race but i disappointed him again and decide to look at him kicking down:-) THAT CAR IS FASTTTTTT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How can I tell if Sport Chrono Overboost Works?