997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

HRE P40 vs Champion RS171

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:06 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Can't go wrong with either as both are fabulous. That being said, I like the Champions slightly better.

Following copied from an post by RTEAMSTRADALE

Porsche Factory 997 Turbo
8.5x19" 23 lbs. 14 oz.
11x19" 28 lbs. 13 oz.

HRE M40 Monoblok
8.5x19" 21 lbs. 8 oz.
11x19" 24 lbs. 14 oz.

HRE M43 Monoblok
8.5x19" 21 lbs. 8 oz.
11x19" 25 lbs.

Champion RS171:
8.5x19" 20 lbs. 1 oz.
11.5x19" 24 lbs. 3 oz.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...champion+rs171<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

Last edited by imcarnuts; 03-23-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:12 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi Doug,

Matter of taste, both wonderful wheels, but my vote is (obviously) P40. I love looking at my wheels, even now, and strangers who are wheel connoisseurs are drawn to them, maybe hypnotized even , to the point of ignoring my beautiful car altogether! Lastly, it's cool that it is the same design--7 spoke web--as the RS Spyder and a lot of the Porsche ALMS GT2-class cars.

As far as color, I prefer some contrast between ext. color and wheels, so my vote is first Silver. I also happen to love Gun Metal Grey, so will list that as a second choice. If you like Black, most definitely matte/textured black. The non-matte black is too shiny IMHO.

If you like Brushed Aluminum, if possible try to see it in person. It's more shiny than the Silver and has texture (brushed) on the surface; I didn't like it for my Guards Red but maybe it works well with your darker Meteor Grey. Dick (who posts here) has this finish and it looks wonderful with his White Turbo.

The Champion wheels are lighter, not much, but they are lighter. They are of first class quality but I wonder how M3 S3-R arrives at his conclusion that the Champion wheels are stronger than HRE? Was there some kind of test or was this based on personal experience? If so with which HRE wheels?

Last edited by cannga; 03-23-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
Porsh997TT is infamous around these parts
p40s are hottter...i'm actually quite confused between HRE P40 or HRE 540R so i thought i would join this thread instead of starting a whole new repeated stuff to get your feedback....so which one would be better? 3 peice 540r or 1 peice p40 in black (my car is white with terracota) any advice will be appreciated.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Have you looked at the Champion Magnesium? (link at end of post) In my opinion it is the most beaitiful Champion wheel I have ever seen and when selecting my C20 HRE I seriously debated the idea of this other wheel. At the time the P40 was not out yet and I do like the P40 as well.
Tough choice .
Between your two --the P40 gets my vote in brushed . The texture of the brushed finish has this hand made look to it which I find so appealing .

EDIT Link did not work .try again
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pion+Magnesium

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-23-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:37 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Several differences:

540R:
3 piece forged.
Lip.
10 double-spoke mesh design (cleaning will be a b*****).
Multiple little screws/rivets.
For the same wheel size, the spokes on the 540 are considerably shorter than those of P40.

P40:
1 piece forged.
No lip.
7 double-spoke mesh (cleaning starting to be a chore).
Clever design bringing the spokes all the way to the thin outer rim, making wheels look bigger than actual size.
No lip means the spokes are flushed with the tire surface, and then make a gorgeous and spectacular dive as they head to the center of the rim, particularly on the rear wheels. This to me is where the money is.

Maybe HRE could comment, but given that P40 is their latest design, perhaps 1 piece forged and lip-less is the direction that wheel design is going. I don't know about weight difference, one would think 540 is heavier.

Originally Posted by Porsh997TT
p40s are hottter...i'm actually quite confused between HRE P40 or HRE 540R so i thought i would join this thread instead of starting a whole new repeated stuff to get your feedback....so which one would be better? 3 peice 540r or 1 peice p40 in black (my car is white with terracota) any advice will be appreciated.

Attached Images   

Last edited by cannga; 03-23-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:14 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
P40s

Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote]
but given that P40 is their latest design, perhaps 1 piece forged and lip-less is the direction that wheel design is going. I don't know about weight difference, one would think 540 is heavier. [quote]

HRE still makes the other wheels . My feeling is that adding a new type of wheel simply satisfied a market demand for monoblock wheels to be offered as well .

I chose the C20 as it's a light, competition series wheel which makes it practical for both street and possible future track use . One concern of mine was how reverse lip wheels like some other the OTHER series would handle in the rain as I live in a wet region. The competition series offers a step lip as opposed to a reverse which makes driving in the rain problem free .

The P40 was released after I bought my wheels and I was curious about them . They are also beautiful wheels and I would not argue anyone about placing them on the car .

The hardest part is choosing ONE for the car .

Lastly --I love the Champion Magnesium wheel .It gets the least discussion and they aren't cheap to buy and are quite rare but very high quality . IMO they are the one piece wheel that snags my personal taste.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:10 PM
yarralis1,

Re. magnesium wheels, I thought they are too fragile for street use?

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=108

Ever since the development of the original mag wheels, which actually used a magnesium alloy to reduce wheel weight on the race cars of the 1950s, lightweight wheels, where they are allowed by the rules, have been used to enhance vehicle performance in almost all forms of racing. And while the generic mag name is still used today, most magnesium alloy wheels are too fragile for daily street use and are very limited in their finish options allowing only painting or polishing (and frequent polishing of magnesium wheels is required due to magnesium's willingness to oxidize). In modern times, the most common uses for magnesium wheels are on Champ Cars, Indy, Formula 1 and GT cars where the race team's continuous monitoring and testing can confirm their strength and durability between events. Mag wheels used on modern race cars are often forged or use some other high tech manufacturing process and special magnesium alloys to reduce the weight while they retain the ability to handle the high loads. Fortunately for the rest of us, the wheel manufacturers have also developed lightweight aluminum alloy wheels that provide the appropriate street durability and numerous finish options while they reduce weight.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:14 PM
luce is infamous around these parts
Any closeups of textured black. How does it compare to a matte black or a semi-gloss black?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Zach is infamous around these parts
I love the look of the HREs. Either way, both look great.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Can -

The key word in your snippet is this:

"while the generic mag name is still used today, most magnesium alloy wheels are too fragile for daily street use and"

If the original poster calls both Champion and HRE they can get the manufactuers recommendation .

At the time when I was considering the Magnesium wheel they only had 20 inch wheels which would imply street use above the track . Since that time someone posted a 19 in version .

It has been 6 months or so since I bought my wheels so I am not current on all the specifics and that's why I do recommend asking both companies .

Lastly -- ALL of these wheels are very fine quality so whichever he chooses I do feel he will get a fine product . It simply will boil down to his taste .

Old 03-23-2008, 08:03 PM
crd
crd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Can -

Lastly -- ALL of these wheels are very fine quality so whichever he chooses I do feel he will get a fine product . It simply will boil down to his taste .

I agree, it's all a matter of personal preference. I love the P40 and will most likely get a set when the time comes to get new tires. Also, I prefer shiny wheels on a dark car, but that's just me.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Im biased but P40's in matte or gloss, here are mine in gloss

Old 03-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Very true. Even now I am still thinking about Champion RF 67. Very beautiful to my eyes also. Too bad that we could only pick one!

Originally Posted by yrralis1

Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2008, 07:14 AM
RTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura about
I'm biased too but the HRE was at the top of the list when I decided to go w/ the RS171.
The HRE has this busy-ness in the area where the spokes end at the outer rim, there's a lot of different lines.
The RS171 has a sexier, more organic shape & deeper dive especially the rear wheel.
The RS171's are slightly lighter. I also prefer the more open look of the 10 spoke RS171 vs the 14 of the HRE & the RS171 is easier to clean but mostly just because of the looks..
Doug - You cant go wrong w/ either wheel they both bolt on w/ TPMS/ without spacers so it's subjective but IMO the RS171 w/ the Titanium bolts is the way to go.

Last edited by RTEAMSTRADALE; 03-24-2008 at 07:41 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HRE P40 vs Champion RS171