997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

HRE P40 vs Champion RS171

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
The HRE P40 and the Champion RG5 are both great wheels. I really do not believe they truly look alike. The HRE is more of a true mesh design.
The weights are very close and the construction of the wheels are both high quality.
Now there is a point not mentioned here. That is company/manufacturer support. I have the HRE monoblok forged wheels on my Audi RS4. Running 19x9.5" all around and they weigh 22 lbs. What's important is, I wanted to run a radical tire set up. HRE worked with me and my wheels came and I'm running 285/30/19 tires on the RS4 when by all accounts every informed person will say it can not be done. My set up works perfect and NO rubbing. That can only happen w/ a company like HRE.

Now the Neez QD7 rims are very nice but for their megabucks price-tag I would rather get a set of Dymag wheels and blow the hell out of any other wheel in the market. I have them on my GT3. The fronts (19x9) are 16 lbs and the rears (19x12) are 18 lbs.

Pics of the HRE monobloks on the RS4:

http://picasaweb.google.com/whitneydelgado63/RS4030108

http://picasaweb.google.com/whitneyd...iRS4AndTheGang

So gentlemen the wheels look similar, weigh similar and finishes are more available by HRE. So what is a substantive difference? To me is the company and for me HRE is the best.

Thank you,
GT3Ranger

Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
trophymaker is infamous around these parts
Acutally the RG5 is a mesh design like the HRE P40... Ranger did you mean to draw the comparison between P40 and RS171?

RG5 is more symmetrical than P40 however, having 8 split spokes vs. the HRE's 7 split spokes... I guess it really comes down to whether or not you want a dish Gasman? I think the P40s look awesome and am I really starting to like the flush 'no-lip' look, especially on TTs.

I have the RG5s on my P-car and I love the clean look, but I wonder how a set of gloss black P40s would look? Its a good decision to have to make Gasman!

Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
dsb
dsb is infamous around these parts
Not that it'a huge difference but I wonder how much weight is added when using the no-lip wheel design. Since the spokes are flush to the wheel, the center hub (correct term) has to be thicker to get the same offset and therefore must add some weight. Anyways, just a thought.

PS. So far I'm liking every wheel pictured here.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
LOL. This is beginning to be like that mega thread on rennteam that Stradale started. No problem, I enjoy talking about wheels and really love a lot of them. Can't get Champion RF67 out of my mind for example.

Re. your Champion RG5, very beautiful and seeing this on a passing 911 was the first time a wheel made my heart flutter. Well, maybe second time, a Ferrari wheel probably was the first--the 5 double spoke star-like one. One more thing to point out, since we are now into wheel design details: the spokes on RG5 are straight--straightest on any mesh design wheels that I have seen, those on HRE P40, BBS, etc. are more curvy.

Re. odd and even number of spoke: Champion in fact used to make a 7 split spoke mesh design, called RG19. The spokes on RG19 strangely enough, are curvy, not as straight as RG5.
In that rennteam thread mentioned above, I made the observation that odd number of spokes (5, 7, etc.) gives the impression of motion, vs. even. But this is purely personal opinion; in other words, YMMV. Even number of spokes OTOH appears more symmetrical as you mentioned.

And yes to my eyes one could argue that RS171 is a 5 split spoke mesh design. It is at 7 or above though, that a mesh design begins to look like the classic mesh design that originates from, is it BBS?

It would be nice if someone from Champion or HRE could chime in re. monoblock vs. multi-piece design, especially when it comes to strength and weight. I would think the monoblock design is definitely stronger, possibly lighter, am I wrong? Either way, down to this elite range, the weights of these wheels are close enough that IMO esthetic could reasonably be the main differential in choosing wheels.

Originally Posted by trophymaker
Acutally the RG5 is a mesh design like the HRE P40... Ranger did you mean to draw the comparison between P40 and RS171?

RG5 is more symmetrical than P40 however, having 8 split spokes vs. the HRE's 7 split spokes... I guess it really comes down to whether or not you want a dish Gasman? I think the P40s look awesome and am I really starting to like the flush 'no-lip' look, especially on TTs.

I have the RG5s on my P-car and I love the clean look, but I wonder how a set of gloss black P40s would look? Its a good decision to have to make Gasman!

Attached Images  

Last edited by cannga; 03-26-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jrgatfh has a spectacular aura aboutjrgatfh has a spectacular aura about
Champion all the way!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:46 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I'm really starting to feel the RS 171, really matches the lines of the car IMO, but that P40 in charcoal would be spectacular.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:02 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I'm partial to Champion

Old 03-26-2008, 10:13 PM
FooFighterRS4 is infamous around these parts
+1 E55AMG!!!

Champion RF67 are the best looking monoblock type wheels around. Looks good in 19's like yours or 20's like these. (http://www.gmgracing.com/wheels_champion_rf67.shtml). I love the way they bow out from the center cap to the edge of the rim. Absolutely stunning in person. Pretty light too.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Banned
EEGPorches is infamous around these parts
i think the champion one is more "race" style
i would pick that!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:15 AM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Id go for the HRE for the Race look

Old 02-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Hoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to all
Originally Posted by E55AMG
I'm partial to Champion

Very nice!!
Which model are these and what color?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !Sales@RSS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hoppity
Very nice!!
Which model are these and what color?
Those are the Champion RF67 Wheels, in the standard SILVER finish and they look very nice.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Sales@RSS; 02-11-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add image
Old 02-12-2010, 08:24 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Champion 171s for sure. I don't like the busy cluttered 3 stage lip on the HREs. I haven't read all of the posts, but thought that the 171s weighed a little less as well; kind of like frosting on the deal if they do.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 AM
RTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura aboutRTEAMSTRADALE has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 911dev
Champion 171s for sure. I don't like the busy cluttered 3 stage lip on the HREs. I haven't read all of the posts, but thought that the 171s weighed a little less as well; kind of like frosting on the deal if they do.

That's exactly my view as well. Around the lip area the HRE40's get real busy, the RS171's are cleaner. In person the 171's are also much more organic, they have a more rounded (they curve more) spoke & deeper dive into the center especially the rear wheel, the HRE's are flatter. But honestly you can't go wrong w/ either wheel, the HRE's are up their as my favorites as well.

True, I weighed my 171's they are slightly lighter.

Attached Images      

Last edited by RTEAMSTRADALE; 02-12-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Hey Greg -How have you been? It's devo from rennteam. I love that turbo cab. I finally pulled the trigger and got myself a .2 GT3.
Chris

Last edited by 911dev; 02-12-2010 at 10:42 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HRE P40 vs Champion RS171