997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Proline Windshield Film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:03 PM
JJayB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks for the prompt & helpful reply. I assume you have the same thing, Proline, and this is a strong recommendation from you? A few questions please:

Does the wiper cause faint scratches on the Proline?

To what degree does the Proline reduce brightness/visibility?

What happens when the Proline itself gets hit with a pebble? Do the hits leave marks? Not too bad?

Any suggestion as to the average duration of an installed Proline?
Can
So far no wiper scratches after five months. I live in SoCal so not much rain.
No visable reduction or distortion unlike some films. The protection is like clear bra but on your windshield. Unless its a good size rock the 3m stuff protects pretty well. I've taken some good size rocks on the track with little of no scaring. Like any protection film its going to show dings and scars but those aren't transfered to your windshild. When it starts to look bad you can remove it and still have a pristine windshild.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:13 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
federal safety laws

I have been told by three different detailers and clear bra installers that they won't touch this stuff because they are concerned that it may violate federal regulations on windshields for motor vehicles. Two of them told me they weren't interested in getting involved in testing the law if someone has an accident.

Just a comment, not a criticism - I'd love to put it on my car

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ection=571.205

Old 05-19-2008, 12:07 PM
wallmon is infamous around these parts
Maybe this is a dumb question, but how much is a new windshield? Is it less than doing the film a couple of times?

Old 05-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Shockwave179 is infamous around these parts
Madico also makes a similar solution called "Clearplex" if anyones interested.

http://www.madico.com/auto_clearplex.asp

Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wallmon
Maybe this is a dumb question, but how much is a new windshield? Is it less than doing the film a couple of times?
but it's a big pain in the a$$ to replace the glass especially with factory quality. not about the $$$.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Alan
I have been told by three different detailers and clear bra installers that they won't touch this stuff because they are concerned that it may violate federal regulations on windshields for motor vehicles. Two of them told me they weren't interested in getting involved in testing the law if someone has an accident.

Just a comment, not a criticism - I'd love to put it on my car

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ection=571.205
That is correct. Most states prohibit external material from being added to the windshield which is a bit archaic, but it the law. Remember when the USA would only approve seal beam headlights! It was years before DOT approved decent illumination due to the big GE lobby who made seal beams.

To be honest it is impossible to tell the 3m is on the windshield. Secondly, I wouldn't let a clear bra guy install it becasue this is shrink application not a stretch like clear bra. This is a window tinter domain for application, as it requires different muscle memory then clear bra. I'd be wary of the guy who claims he can do it all.

A porsche windshield is $850-1000 installed. Two track days at Willow Springs and you'll need a new windshield.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Greta, did you ever get the windshield skin? I would love to see it in person, as we're considering starting to install this product.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by detailjohn
Greta, did you ever get the windshield skin? I would love to see it in person, as we're considering starting to install this product.
Yes, I did, and would love to show you. Matt is actually coming out on Friday morning to install a new one because mine had a couple small flaw marks that I was not happy with. HOWEVER, I have had it on for a month and am really glad I got it. You cannot even tell it is on the car unless you look for it and I want to try to protect my original windshield. There is actually a warranty that comes with the new Proline that I think will replace your windshield if you get a crack or chip with the film, but he will have to give you those details. Let me know when you want to see it. Matt did a great job on the VS too (as you know). You can pm me and we can make some arrangements. I look forward to meeting you!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:23 PM
805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all805Z06 is a name known to all
Any more info on this? Results, cost.. Thinking about it. How about any good installers in California? Thanks.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:43 PM
jdkerner is infamous around these parts
Talking shipping time?

Do you know how long from start of shipping till fully prepped at the dealer? My 997tt has been loaded on a boat, though it hasn't sailed. I'm scheduled to get EVOMS EVT720 mid-May on a business trip to Phoenix, and am hoping the car will be here before then...

Old 04-07-2009, 05:03 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 805Z06
Any more info on this? Results, cost.. Thinking about it. How about any good installers in California? Thanks.
805, Yea, I'd like to know, too. If you learn something, please PM me.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:41 PM
I thought I'd update this thread as I've got the Madico film on my daily driver a Acura RDX which was installed when the car was new. I've had the application for 18 mos and put 30K miles on the car. The film has seen better days so I removed it today. It did it's job but the sand blasting from desert driving has taken its toll. The good news is I've got a perfect windshield.

They gurarantee the product for 2 years so 18 mos isn't bad. I still think it's the only way to go if you're going to track your car.
Jimmy

Old 04-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shockwave179
Madico also makes a similar solution called "Clearplex" if anyones interested.

http://www.madico.com/auto_clearplex.asp
Madico's Clearplex is essentially the same product with the Proline Windshield Skin. Expect the product life to be approximately 12 mos - 18 mos. There will be abrasions over time from just regular washing and wiper usage. The better the care in the film, the longer it will last. We have not see this product last longer than 2 yrs.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 AM
InTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud of
What's the cost of this film?

I take it it is not a DYI kind of job...???

Old 04-29-2009, 07:44 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
How much does it cost? I know you can get a new factory windshield for around $600 and installed fro about $120.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Proline Windshield Film